When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting Discussion in Gen forum

Utheman

I haven't read all 20 pages, but...

I noticed KyleL is up on his reps- DSSD, and the 3135 eta movt, he must frequent one (or all )of the rep forums. He definitely knows more than he lets on to.

Actually if things are getting really bad, I could probably get their IP's (I have my connections) and embarrass these bozos publicly... I'm sure they'd like to see their rep forum identities published there, waddya say?

Come to think of it... I might actually do that (if these clowns keep posting my photos there). :bangin:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the entire loop and I actually have sympathy for some of the less knowledgeable. At some level their little world is falling apart around them. I suspect a fair number will be paranoid about buying anything or at a minimum will try and gain comfort from overpaying at the AD. But it also proved to me again that the level of expertise here for both rep and gen is simply unparalleled. We really are whacked when we can spot a rep from 10 feet away and TRF folks need a a $40,000 Niton metal tester to be sure they are getting a gen.

Incredible!! Interestingly, there are some real nice and helpful folks on that forum, unfortunately none of them contributed to that 20 page diatribe!!What is incredible is their basic lack of knowledge about the one thing they are all talking about, Rolex watches. Sort of reminds me of a saying we have around here about some folks who aren't what they seem. "Big hat, no cattle" Most of those folks are amazingly ignorant (maybe to be politically correct, Uninformed) about Rolex watches. Why should they be afraid? All the idiots have to do to substantiate the authenticity of the watch is take the caseback off. Even with a Rolex clone, the difference is apparent. Of course if you are an AD, and you don't even have a caseback opener, then what do you expect.

Essentially, what has happened is these guys have been existing in a vacuum , totally oblivious to the world around them. Pretty obvious from some of the responses. "Do they make fakes of other watches (Other than the DSSD)", "It's a good thing they aren't faking older vintage models" DUH!!

As By-tor said, most of these pathetic wannabees are Wa nkers They are brand snobs of the worst kind. I encountered the same types when I frequented the genuine Panerai forums years ago. Most of those A-holes were so pathetic it was almost laughable. They work in some menial job, living at home, eating their mom's cooking, she cleans their room, does their laundry, so her little "Precious" can save his money to buy that Rolex he always dreamed about. Little Precious truly believes that when he gets his DSSD, he will become and instant success, immediate promotion from stock clerk to supervisor, and then to Vice President, girls will find him irresistible (Most run and hide when he heads their way now), but that Rolex will change his life.Sad ,sad,sad.

What these guys don't realize is the replicas that were pictured on that thread, were for the most part a couple of generations back. The newest ones would really blow them away. I would love to sneak a photo of Lani's AR 'ed Rolex GMT11C into that thread. They would all have a heart attack. One guy said, they will never get the AR right. Wake up guys, we have.

The bottom line to this whole discussion, and the entire genuine forum rant about reps boils down to this. They are terrified that if reps are perfect, the market for genuine watches will collapse. Why buy a genuine for 8k when you can get a rep that is absolutely indestinguishable for 500 dollars? All of those guys are banking on the Rolex market staying strong and their watch appreciating, not depreciating.

A quick comment regarding the expertise here -vs- the Gen forum.

First, there is a saying-- The devil is in the details. Following that logic, and I mean this complimentary-- A counterfeiter will often know and see more of the details than the creator. Or in this case, their consumer.

We are all expert Devils! I love it! :evil2:

:D

A quick comment regarding the expertise here -vs- the Gen forum.

First, there is a saying-- The devil is in the details. Following that logic, and I mean this complimentary-- A counterfeiter will often know and see more of the details than the creator. Or in this case, their consumer.

We are all expert Devils! I love it! :evil2:

:D

x2

hahaha :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I actually feel sorry for them, and think it is ridiculous to mock them for their lack of knowledge. You don't have to know the ins and outs of dial fonts to appreciate owning a Gen Rolex. We on the other hand, have to know these details as it makes all the difference between a fake you can spot at 10 yards or one you can wear with confidence in most environments. It makes us anal but knowledgeable.

If I had paid a lot of money for a gen, I wouldn't be too happy if $300 fakes were knocking hell out of the market. Just like I'm not happy the way programmers from India will work for the smell of a curried rag, thus undercutting my profession. As yet they haven't got their act together and they don't have the requisite experience, but it will happen, and of course China is standing in the background ready to undercut India, the bowl of rice being cheaper than the proverbial curried rag!

As I have said before, a similar thing happened in the guitar market with Japan producing excellent Gibson/Fender copies by the mid 70s, sometimes actually better quality than the guitars they were copying. Since then manufacturing has moved via India, Indonesia, Korea and now China, who are producing the best and cheapest fakes of them all. Fender and Gibson have partially combatted this by producing Epiphone and Squier models in the Far East. It is long past time the companies threatened by fakes like Rolex did the same thing. If Rolex invested in a good quality mass market rep, let's call it Polex, manufactured in China, for a start the Chinese government would be much more likely to clamp down on the fakes, Rolex would be making more profit and providing an upgrade path from Polex to Rolex, similar to what they tried to do with Tudor though Tudor was too expensive for the mass market.

but these guys ought to know Rule No. 1 by now- open the friggin watch- who cares if you have to pay Rolex to reseal and test it,

This can not be done to the Gen at an AD it would have to be sent away, Learn the other small details and if you are not happy then walk away

haha these is really funny....

I remember a couple of years ago, my father is a very good friend of the former ROLEX chief manager here in Mexico... i show him the first high end sub that got in my hands (eta one) and he didn

snip.

PS: There are good, knowledgeable members at TRF as well. But lots of annoying little snobs.

+1.

And yes, get KyleL's IP from his posts there and I'm sure we can ID him here or on the other fora.....

I like to keep the gen and rep forums separate and as far away from each other as possible

Can anybody show me a macro then... Just took another look and can't seem to find anything...

You'll probably need a loupe...that is only way I could see mine on my GMT IIc

+1.

And yes, get KyleL's IP from his posts there and I'm sure we can ID him here or on the other fora.....

I like to keep the gen and rep forums separate and as far away from each other as possible

You'll probably need a loupe...that is only way I could see mine on my GMT IIc

Just got confermation from my gen dealer. No laser etched crown in the DSSD.

The DSSD I looked at when visiting the AD had an etched crown. I actually looked for it. Then again maybe it is a fake. :lol:

The funny thing is that for all the ranting and raving the members did suggest a decent simple solution - putting in a technology solution like a micro-chip. Rolex is making enough money that they could afford this. I know people can always take watches apart but it would certainly slow down runs of a thousand reps. Alternatively they could move to open case backs or actually make unique movements. :bangin:

Needless to say, if anyone on this forum is caught posting crap on that forum they will quickly find themselves no longer posting here. At some level you are jeopardizing what it is we love.

Incredible read.... These guys are supposed to be experts!!.... One guy started freaking out with a picture of the movement.. "they're even replicating the movements now! look at the red gears!!!?" (the picture was of an asian 21j aka DG2813)

Edit: Thanks Fxr. the rotor looked similar to my DG2813 so i assumed. In any case.. these guys seem more interested in preserving their elite status than how watches and the watch/rep industry work!

Edited by plaifender

I actually feel sorry for them, and think it is ridiculous to mock them for their lack of knowledge. You don't have to know the ins and outs of dial fonts to appreciate owning a Gen Rolex. We on the other hand, have to know these details as it makes all the difference between a fake you can spot at 10 yards or one you can wear with confidence in most environments. It makes us anal but knowledgeable.

If I had paid a lot of money for a gen, I wouldn't be too happy if $300 fakes were knocking hell out of the market. Just like I'm not happy the way programmers from India will work for the smell of a curried rag, thus undercutting my profession. As yet they haven't got their act together and they don't have the requisite experience, but it will happen, and of course China is standing in the background ready to undercut India, the bowl of rice being cheaper than the proverbial curried rag!

As I have said before, a similar thing happened in the guitar market with Japan producing excellent Gibson/Fender copies by the mid 70s, sometimes actually better quality than the guitars they were copying. Since then manufacturing has moved via India, Indonesia, Korea and now China, who are producing the best and cheapest fakes of them all. Fender and Gibson have partially combatted this by producing Epiphone and Squier models in the Far East. It is long past time the companies threatened by fakes like Rolex did the same thing. If Rolex invested in a good quality mass market rep, let's call it Polex, manufactured in China, for a start the Chinese government would be much more likely to clamp down on the fakes, Rolex would be making more profit and providing an upgrade path from Polex to Rolex, similar to what they tried to do with Tudor though Tudor was too expensive for the mass market.

+1

What I would really like to see, would be a Rolex with a digital display incorporated, like the Omega X-33 or some of the Breitling models.

PS That 'curried rag' comment... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PPS I'm calling dibs on the name 'Tudex' as their sub-prime line :victory:

The funny thing is that for all the ranting and raving the members did suggest a decent simple solution - putting in a technology solution like a micro-chip. Rolex is making enough money that they could afford this. I know people can always take watches apart but it would certainly slow down runs of a thousand reps.

Interestingly enough Kruz, Rolex is using RFID chips but only on parts in the manufacturing process. They were looking at implementing it for security at the retailer but not as an anti-counterfit measure on a completed watch. They didn't want to detract from the product by having a chip placed somewhere on it.

As far as I am aware RFID chips can be easily duplicated, it is only a wireless Barcode after all. The problem is there is virtually no anti counterfeiting measure that cannot be circumvented, that's why we still see fake banknotes. There is a lag between implementing anti counterfeit measures and them being duplicated, but it is not huge and probably not worth the investment.