When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The cheapest and easiest mod for your reps!

Fireman_Fred

One of the first things I do when I buy a new rep (and especially a second hand rep), is degunk the bracelet. Although new bracelets look nice and shiny and clean, often the link pins are not and sometimes make the bracelet "squeak". :g:

Firstly, I remove the bracelet (to keep water away from the case and crystal) and then I soak it for a couple of minutes in mild degreaser, (I use a spray called "Elbow Grease" which can be used to remove oily stains from clothes etc).

Next, I run the bracelet under a warm tap and I'm always amazed at the colour of the water !! If the water coming off the bracelet is VERY dirty, I sometimes give it another treatment of "Elbow Grease" and then rince it again. While I'm rinsing, I hold the bracelet and shake it to get all the residual gunk and cleaner from between the links.

Next - dry the bracelet, using a soft towel (it looks better already !!) and leave it somewhere warm to dry thoroughly - especially in the hidden areas where the pins are.

When completely dry, I spray the whole bracelet with a universal silicone oil which is clear. It works like a penetrating oil, to get into all the nooks and crannys.

I leave the bracelet to lie on a paper towel/tissue to allow the silicone oil to soak in for a bit. After that, I wipe off any excess oil, using tissue paper so that each side of the links are dry but the link pins should now have a light coat of oil.

I have never used a penetrating oil (such as WD40) and I think the silicone oil is probably better because it's cleaner and slightly thicker, it's also water resistant.

When you put the bracelet back on your watch you will be amazed at how smooth and "squeak free" it will be - often as smooth as the gen !! :wub: The other advantage is - if you've bought the watch from someone else, you will have removed their accumulation of dried sweat/dirt etc !! :yuk:

I used both WD40 and silicon grease.

At the moment i favour the silicon grease. Gives the bracelet a silky and soft feeling.

Don't know if it has the saem effect as the dry chain lube ( which i can't find in the retail stores in Holland ).

Carpe Diem

Cats

At the moment i favour the silicon grease. Gives the bracelet a silky and soft feeling.

Don't know if it has the saem effect as the dry chain lube ( which i can't find in the retail stores in Holland ).

Carpe Diem

Cats

As I said, I personally have not tried WD40 and I haven't tried silicone grease. The silicone (oil) spray is easier to apply and probably penetrates better than silicone grease.

A good point Fred i do quite a few repairs these days as it is my military retirement plan to set up a watch business and i have already done enough course to say i am qualified (wont go into details as i am sure the school that taught me would not be that happy with my post count on here One thing that realy disgusts me is the state of the back or peoples watches and straps a sharp bit of pegwood around the case back and in the indents and cutouts of a case back brings out an untold amount dead skin and crud that can actually be quite disgusting

This was about the third lot of cleaning solution i used on a gen seamaster bracelet a while ago, it was 8 years old and the owner had not even taken a nail brush and soap to it in all that time.

DSC01333.jpg

Top point FF, I do the same with all my bracelets too. I use a chain cleaning spray (bike chain of course! ;) ) Let it soak for a bit then wash off, to be honest this usually does the trick as the spray has a mild lube in it for bike chains. But if it still feels a bit squeeky and 'bitty' I use a dry chain lube, all links are then buttery smooth AND clean!!

Bikes are just the best, so many uses for it's products!! And you get to blast

Carpe Diem

Cats

Cats, if you want to give it a try just send me a PM with your adress. I'll send you a can.

It works best for me. :)

Val.

I wouldn't recommend WD40. People use that junk as a fix it for everything. Its main purpose is for penetrating threads on bolts you want to unfasten, not really as a lubricant. Silicon grease sounds like a much better idea to me. The one watch I'd say could use some fix up when you receive it is the SOSF because the gen strap feels much different than that of a brand new rep.

As far as cleaning the strap before greasing it, I'd try some mineral spirits personally. That stuff seems to get gunk off of a lot of things.

This was about the third lot of cleaning solution i used on a gen seamaster bracelet a while ago, it was 8 years old and the owner had not even taken a nail brush and soap to it in all that time.

DSC01333.jpg

Andy makes a good point that has been covered numerous times in other threads, but I think it merits further comment here.

No amount of hand washing will remove most of the gunk inside a bracelet. Only a thorough cleaning in an ultrasonic will do that. There are so many cheap (under $50) ultrasonic cleaners on ebay that there is no excuse for not having 1. Just be sure to remove the bracelet from the watch head before cleaning (or use the watch stand that comes with some ultrasonics that is made for holding the watch head out of the cleaning solution in the tank). If you do not want to spend the money on a proper ultrasonic cleaning solution, you can make your own - 2 cups of warm (not hot) water, a few drops of your favorite dish detergent (not dish washing machine soap) & 1 teaspoon of ammonia (available from any grocery or hardware store). If you place the detergent & ammonia into the ultrasonic tank 1st, it will get mixed when you add the water.

May i add dry teflon lube, It comes in a spray can, the propellant will get it in to all the small nooks and crannies and then evaporate, no oil to irritate the skin, it wont attract dust and grime and turn into a grinding paste inside the links and will last until next time you ultrasound clean the bracelet

Edit i would strongly advise against using any oil based products as they will attack your skin

I've just received my Chopard Mille Miglia back from the watch repairers; it was bought off another collector so I wanted to give it a real good clean. I dismantled the bracelet off the watch splitting it in half and cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner using water and soap detergent. Dried it carefully using kitchen paper and then I soaked it in Baby Oil in a bag, massaging the links and working out any dirt.

Cleaned off the oil and polished off any excess using a soft cloth. Reassembled and sized the bracelet and it feels fantastic, smooth and supple. Any excess oil in the pins will work out over time.

Really pleased with the watch, I was going to buy a silicon strap to be traditional, but this bracelet is just so comfortable I may wait a while before moving it a strap.

I will post some pictures at the weekend, the ultrasonic cleaner was only £20 from Lidl if you are in the UK. But many should be available. It cleans straps really well especially my rubber breitlings.

Edited by tangle

May i add dry teflon lube, It comes in a spray can, the propellant will get it in to all the small nooks and crannies and then evaporate, no oil to irritate the skin, it wont attract dust and grime and turn into a grinding paste inside the links and will last until next time you ultrasound clean the bracelet

Edit i would strongly advise against using any oil based products as they will attack your skin

I agree

Thanks for all the great tips. Of course my way is not the only way and I may experiment with other types of oil, although, the silicone oil works best for me at the mo.

Like FxrAndy, I also own an ultrasonic cleaner which I sometimes use on bracelets. I once made the mistake of putting an SMP bracelet in the bottom of the cleaner with the clasp directly in contact with the s.steel of the cleaner. After a few minutes of vigourous vibrating, the bracelet came out clean with a small mark etched into the clasp !! I suspect that the dirt that came out of the bracelet acted like sandpaper between the clasp and the bottom surface of the cleaner ! :wounded1:

If you're gonna use an ultrasonic cleaner, make sure you use the basket or watch holder that came with it !! :whistling: