When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

thoughts on the ipad

deltatahoe

I'm not sure what is the point of this debate. You either like the iPad or you don't. You can buy it or not buy it. I love mine and yes, there are times when I still need to pull out my laptop, but I never bought the iPad to replace it. I'm at the beach for the Memorial Day weekend and it's been great ... everything that I expected it to be :)

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So it sounds like the IPAD is in addition to, rather than a substitute for, a lap top if you are doing a lot of two-way communication. This may be a silly question but one of my kids wants to replace their Itouch handheld (which died a few days ago) with an Ipad. They use the Itouch mostly for the usual games, music and movies but not a lot else. In the States it looks like there is a $200 or so price difference between a 32 gig Itouch and a base model Ipad. And my local store has them. Am I nuts? Is the Ipad much more delicate than an Itouch? Sorry for the silly questions but I have never seen or tried one. :)

No the base model is $499 in the US, not $630 ;)

I know people are buying them, I also know sales staff that are laughing at them for doing so :p

Oh, I see. You've forgotten that all US prices are listed without tax and all UK Prices are listed with 17.5% VAT.

16GB iPad in the US is the equivalent of

So it sounds like the IPAD is in addition to, rather than a substitute for, a lap top if you are doing a lot of two-way communication. This may be a silly question but one of my kids wants to replace their Itouch handheld (which died a few days ago) with an Ipad. They use the Itouch mostly for the usual games, music and movies but not a lot else. In the States it looks like there is a $200 or so price difference between a 32 gig Itouch and a base model Ipad. And my local store has them. Am I nuts? Is the Ipad much more delicate than an Itouch? Sorry for the silly questions but I have never seen or tried one. :)

I'm not sure if you can hammer nails with it, but mine has been used daily and still looks new. Put a protective screen saver own it and you should be fine.

:g: Let me get this straight-- you took the images from your D60's memory card to some 'intermediary' space??? Spent 2$ on an app, dealt with some old school FTPing, to get them to RWG. By my estimates, not including the 1 time app purchase, this had to be a 5+ minute process. ??? Contrast this with the memory card slot in a laptop or my netbook, in which this could have been accomplished much quicker with $0 spent, and no jumping through hoops. Call me crazy, but I fail to see how this even comes close to rivaling a Note/Netbook. I can just as easily sit in front of the TV with a MacBook, or my eeePC and do it ALL (+flash games, Hulu, et. al.)

Just playing devils advocate here.... :victory:

I'd be interested in how you're processing Raw files on a netbook. You know, just as devil's advocate. :)

So your backing up Apples policy of overpricing their under-speced products in the UK/EU markets now? :lol:

I guess that's why you imported one.....

Apple is charging approximately the same in the UK as they are in the US. Prices in the US are listed WITHOUT tax and prices in the EU are listed WITH tax.

I imported mine because I didn't want to wait another three weeks for it. Once you count in the Fedex price, it didn't save me any money, and luckily I avoided the VAT because that would have hurt. If you do buy in the US, and you bring it back in your luggage, you can avoid the VAT/Duty on the way in, but if you Fedex it, you're at risk of getting humped on the VAT/Duty. I got lucky.

So, yeah, don't believe the "we're getting screwed by Apple in Europe" myth; it used to be true, but these days, not so much.

It's more expensive here whatever way you look at it VAT or not, period.

So yeah £699.99 (just over $1000) for the top of the line (massive) 64GB model (:lol:) is such a great value purchase! You do get 3G after all :p

Weak, over priced, over hyped rubbish, but it has an apple stuck on it. The Germans have the right idea, at least their machine has decent specs and a non ludicrous price point.....

C'mon guys how long is this lame yes/no rally gonna take, everybody knows the sanitary ipads keep the girls connected during their periods ...

ipad%5B7%5D.jpg

True... its a lame product which keeps getting new and improved like... Always. Therefore it is the right product at the right time for the right people :animal_rooster: ... the wrong people buys their stocks instead of their products ... :pardon:

Weak, over priced, over hyped rubbish, but it has and apple stuck on it. The Germans have the right idea, at least their machine has decent specs.....

There we go. You can't compare specs and claim that one device is better than another based on a game of Top Trumps.

Compare Jackson Pollock and Picasso on the specs of their paintings and see how far it gets you.

Usability, usability, usability. Your German device certainly looks like it's a contender on paper, but seeing as no-one has actually tried one out yet, you're just guessing. Whatever happened to the HP Slate? The Joojoo pad? The MS Courier?

I welcome the influx of Android devices as competition is always a good idea, but honestly, the amount of iPod killers I saw being reported on, I'm unconvinced until someone brings something to market or shows reporters a device and lets then use it.

C'mon guys how long is this lame yes/no rally gonna take, everybody knows the sanitary ipads keep the girls connected during their periods ...

This lame rally keeps going on as long as people like you keep making that stupid joke. I noticed no-one even thought to mention the Wee Pad was a stupid name, but hey, narrative to follow, can't be unbiased.

Of course you can compare PC style hardware specs, people have been doing that for years! Contrary to what you may believe, apple products are not works of art, all though they are priced as such! :)

The facts are that the ipad is an incredibly weak piece of hardware and technology (giant itouch), with extremely limited connectivity, closed OS, and not even a standard screen format, and yet it is priced in the £429.99-699.99 price range, which is just utterly insane! Peeps are buying it yes, I actually feel sorry for them. Hype, hype, hype.....

As for the German device it looks excellent doesn't it? What the ipad should have been really, then this thread would not have been as it is. Without the PR/hype machine of the mighty fruit I doubt it will impact the ipad, but the sensible, tech savvy people (Read: Not peeps with more money than sense) will love it B)

I dont mean no harm Puggy, glad to see you back posting... anyways my point being though probably unclear in my limited english, both sides can have fun with the ipad either if you love it or hate it... i just dont really understand talking about it...

And for the record Wee Pad is an even worse name :mellow:

As for the German device it looks excellent doesn't it? What the ipad should have been really, then this thread would not have been as it is. Without the PR/hype machine of the mighty fruit I doubt it will impact the ipad, but the sensible, tech savvy people (Read: Not peeps with more money than sense) will love it B)

You're like the guy in the huge-engined Ford Mustang wondering why the Lotus Elise just posted a faster lap time. It's not about the specs.:)

The iPad is a technological marvel; I'm sorry you don't see it, and there's nothing I can do to convince you of the fact, but have you used one yet? Have you browsed the web on it?

I'm what can be described as tech-savvy; I manage both Windows and UNIX servers for Nintendo, Coca-Cola, eBay, Orange and others; I built Opodo's infrastructure in France; I'm not what you'd call a luddite by any stretch of the term. I was overclocking AXIA-Ys back in the 20th century, making silent high-performance games machines in the early 21st and I firmly believe Apple has finally made the fuss-free computer. For email, web-browsing and watching video, there is nothing to compare with the speed and ease of the iPad. Instant-on is a big deal, as is the 10+ hour battery life.

We'll see when the competition arrives, and let's hope it's worth the wait, but going by the iPod and iPhone, it'll be a while before anyone even gets close to the iPad in real terms. Sure, they'll whup them on spec sheets, much like the original iPhone was beaten on paper by the n95, but people use computers in the real world, not on paper.

Don't assume iPad users are not tech-savvy or that they fall for hype; just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it's not for very intelligent computer guys who make you look like a n00b.

Phew, do we live in interesting times or what? :)

Let's just hope the competition drives the price WAY down, because one thing I think anyone would agree on, is that the ipad was expensive for what you get when released in the USA, and now in the UK the price is totally crazy, heaven knows the mark up apple make on these things.....

I would say I am far from a "n00b" as you put it. I was Oc'ing AMD AXIA's as you say, and the pentium 3's before that too. I remember finding a special stepping PIII 750mhz chip to run 1000mhz by upping the fsb to 150 from 133, hitting the magic 1000mhz on air was quite a thrill at the time, took me a while to find some ram up for the job if I remember right. I've messed around with phase change cooling, and high end air, but now run a quiet water cooled setup. Although getting my Q9650 to run 4050mhz does not have quite the same feel as it did back in the day ;)

You will find a lot of tech savvy peeps don't necessarily look at the world through apple shaped glasses :p

And yes I have had a play with one in store, wasn't impressed, re: giant itouch......

I finally checked one out today for real.

It was exactly what i thought it would be.

a giant touch

slightly too wide to type with your thumbs while holding it, the screen had too much glare and was rather pale for reading ebooks on, and the device was really hot and surprisingly uncomfortable in my hands. it is sad that it costs $800 for something that doesnt have SD or usb or flash, which you dont really realize how often its used until you try and browse on a touch a notice how many embedded menus or interactive material rely on this platform, so dont throw out your pc just yet if you want a full browsing experience that is actually web standard compliant. Steve jobs official excuse for lacking in flash "it wastes too much battery" (guess they learned their lesson from how much 3gs and wifi rape the battery) i should get a job at apple cause i have a revolutionary idea for them, get this... the option to disable or enable flash in the browser via the browser settings... well anyways , theres some horse beating in here

YES it will sell (which makes me wonder exactly why the Zune failed), but i dont understand why, when you can get a netbook for half the price and four times the value; a web standard compliant browser, full pdf reader, SD slot, USB, built in webcam, a user replaceable battery, expandable memory, blah blah blah, well you've heard this all before.

make an informed decision, and leave the pad buying to your wife.

Let's just hope the competition drives the price WAY down, because one thing I think anyone would agree on, is that the ipad was expensive for what you get when released in the USA, and now in the UK the price is totally crazy, heaven knows the mark up apple make on these things.....

Less than you'd think. They are not cheap to make, so I have no idea why you think they're overpriced.

Like most consumer electronics, the iPad costs about twice what it costs to make, retail. To put it in perspective, that means the markup is significantly less than a replica watch or a gen.

And yes, the markup is the same in Europe as it costs the same without tax. :)

Steve jobs official excuse for lacking in flash "it wastes too much battery" (guess they learned their lesson from how much 3gs and wifi rape the battery) i should get a job at apple cause i have a revolutionary idea for them, get this... the option to disable or enable flash in the browser via the browser settings... well anyways , theres some horse beating in here

So, Adobe have a version of flash ready? It's still in beta for Android and they've had 100% support making it. Adobe have not yet successfully shown even a dev version of Flash running for the iPhone and let's face it, all they have to do is show it working and Apple can be bullied by consumers into letting it on. Adobe have had three years.

I'm what can be described as tech-savvy; I manage both Windows and UNIX servers for Nintendo, Coca-Cola, eBay, Orange and others; I built Opodo's infrastructure in France; I'm not what you'd call a luddite by any stretch of the term. I was overclocking AXIA-Ys back in the 20th century, making silent high-performance games machines in the early 21st and I firmly believe Apple has finally made the fuss-free computer. For email, web-browsing and watching video, there is nothing to compare with the speed and ease of the iPad. Instant-on is a big deal, as is the 10+ hour battery life.

This is why I amazed you are such a (cough) fan. Having a similar history as you, I can see the "lets make computers more user-friendly/for the masses" argument, but come on, this device is a STEP BACKWARD in terms of what it can really do. While I open minded to the ONE-STEP back to go TWO-STEPS forward (with the next versions), the iPad is admittedly lacking. All I wish for is "Truth in advertising" when it comes to the device. The iPad would be like Rolex coming out with the new Submariner missing the second hand! People would still by it because it says Rolex on the dial, and has cool 904 stainless steel case, and I am sure many would justify not needing a seconds hand. :bicycle:

Less than you'd think. They are not cheap to make, so I have no idea why you think they're overpriced.

Because I can still by a Note/Netbook for less money and do more, and experience 100% of the web, or just stick with the iPod Touch or iPhone. If this device was under $300, it would be worth the shortcomings.

No matter what side of the fence you are on, all I can say is do your homework, don't be swayed by marketing, don't be swayed by the "mass think".

Interestingly, if you take the UK price for the 32GB 3G ipad in $$, and deduct the costs listed above, you get this:

$870 - $288 = $582

Most analysts think that apple have a very large amount of room to manoeuvre with the ipad's price structure :)

Again, VAT. The prices listed above are all excluding taxes.

Apple can't avoid the VAT, so neither should you. Apple can't reduce the price much because the costs listed above don't take R&D costs into account, or any of the other ancillary costs.

Apple doesn't have much room to manoeuvre as you're also confusing retail price including VAT without the wholesale price excluding VAT which is significantly closer to the prices you're quoting above.

This is why I amazed you are such a (cough) fan. Having a similar history as you, I can see the "lets make computers more user-friendly/for the masses" argument, but come on, this device is a STEP BACKWARD in terms of what it can really do. While I open minded to the ONE-STEP back to go TWO-STEPS forward (with the next versions), the iPad is admittedly lacking. All I wish for is "Truth in advertising" when it comes to the device. The iPad would be like Rolex coming out with the new Submariner missing the second hand! People would still by it because it says Rolex on the dial, and has cool 904 stainless steel case, and I am sure many would justify not needing a seconds hand. :bicycle:.

No, it's like making a laptop without a keyboard.

You don't get it, that's ok. That doesn't make it wrong, bad or a step backwards though.