When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Paul Newman Daytona.........

hiker01

I have always been fascinated by the older Daytonas...specially the 62xx series and the so-called Paul Newman models....

My first attempt in my quest, if you could call it that, when I started this hobby was the A7760 Version of the 6263 that Joshua carries, and it looks like this:

daytona2.jpg

I didn't know about the Flat "A's" and what not, so I thought it was good enough! And then I started reading Freddy's and ubi's (both my TONA Idols - love :wub: you guys!) postings and started to learn from them, albeit not as ANAL as them when it comes to accuracy....let's face it, I don't have there SKILLs, but I tried.....

SO when martyd3 posted his Black Dial

daytonadial.jpg

I jump on it and build this using most of the parts from the 1st 6263 I got:

blktona6.jpg

But the quest goes on..........you always have your eyes open for any scraps that comes out on the FS section.....

I've always wanted to have some Paul Newman 62xx's as part of my Daytona collection.......

Like these beauties (freeddy......Ubi, feel free to correct me on these!):

fig05.jpgfig05b.jpg

tona6240a.jpgroleximage1118381.jpg

tona6241pn.jpg

And it would be more rewarding if I build it myself from scratch.......

so......trolling the FS fora as usual....this came up from an unnamed source (feel free to call yourself, Bro!):

tonadial.jpg

dialmore.jpg

and found this at DW Ebay store:

tonaparts.jpg

and all I have to get now is a descent A7750........lo and behold, one of our brother's from Mile High City....one

and only, RONIN......(thanks my friend!) have a complete package for me to use and then some (a complete 6263 with black

dial......and this is where the story had a tragedy, when I recieved the package, the 6263 was gone....STOLEN!!! First time

that happened to me in this hobby after over a hundred watches traded, sold and bought in a span of 4 years!)

Well, at least whoever it was had no use for the movement and sent that to me plus the spare white dial and links (other thing that kills me is that RONIN sent the watch with a really nice Tona SS Bracelet......grrrrrr!), so here we go, the movement:

a7750nos.jpg

a7750nos1.jpg

Waterproofing the crystal and case:

51760978.jpg

..........and I'll spare you the boring assembly pictures, just the finished product.....

TADA:

Hunky and thick A7750 based case:

tona6263.gif

but I couldn't be happier:

tona1.jpg

tona1e.jpg

tona1d.jpg

tona1a.jpg

with it's partner:

tonatwins.jpg

tonatwins2.jpg

tonatwins3.jpg

and on the wrist:

tonawrst.jpg

tonawrst1.jpg

Thanks for looking, guys!

And Ronin P-.......this one's for you! Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

Looks great, Hike. :good:

1 thing to be aware of with straps is that they expose the (incorrectly) laser etched (as opposed to engraved) numbering between lugs, which a bracelet keeps hidden from view.

That's why I'm so upset that someone at the USPS stole :nea: the watch in the package that Ronin sent me, that watch have the Bracelet I planned to put on this! :cry2:

So..... which one do you like the best?

For now??? Love the new one! Next one is this:

6241daytonapaulnewman27.jpg

6241daytonapaulnewman17.jpg

If I could find the dial+case+pushers!

For now??? Love the new one! Next one is this:

6241daytonapaulnewman27.jpg

That's what I'd like for my second Daytona, except with a 6239 steel bezel. Heck, I even bought a riveted 7205 in preparation for the project.

But then I read about DW's 6238 plans, so I've decided to wait until I've seen the dials for those. (Please, please, please, let one be a 6234-style tachy/telemeter...)