When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aaaaargh, my UPO is steaming up!

Craig S

For those not reading the shout box.. this happens.. especially when going from humid weather to extreme cold or vise-versa

I use "damp rid" pellets that is sold in the hardware store or local drug store.. for removing dampness from closets etc....or you can use silicone pellets also.

I place the watch with the crown open in the setting position... in a cigar box with the pellets in a bottle cap ( about 2 or 3 cap fulls).. close and leave overnight.. in the morning or when ever, after several hours the moisture is gone.. I also keep silicone packets in my watch box.. to keep it dry.. Hawaii has high humidity .. I am assuming it helps.

AC/Lani

Lani's got good advice... most importantly, get it dried out PRONTO.

I have a circulated hot water boiler in my house, and when I get a fogged watch I snatch the back off and leave it sitting on top of the boiler overnight. It gets up around 120 degrees and dries right out.

Silica definitely helps. After casing up a watch, I usually seal one up in an air tight baggie with a silica packet to pull any moisture. Keep the crown to the time setting position like Lani said and it should draw everything out.

Once dry, run the watch down to your local watch repair guy and have it pressure checked just for good measure.

Bob you are taking 120 Fahrenheit ???? Too hot will soften the schelack that holds the jewels in place

Personally i have a Tupperware box filled with silica gel sachets (the sort you get in new shoes and electrical goods) If i ever have a water ingress problem the case back gets removed and the whole watch goes in there for a few days before i inspect and service if required, the inside of this box is dryer than death valley! but not hot so as to loosen jewels

Fransico had a post a while ago showing what happened when some one used a hair dryer to dry a watch!

Fransico had a post a while ago showing what happened when some one used a hair dryer to dry a watch!

I bet that was messy...

I once made the mistake of using a 'daylight lamp' to dry a really nasty Seamaster, and the heat warped the plastic movement retainer, so the rotor was unable to spin. The watch worked fine for manual winding :whistling::bangin:

I've also had the problem where putting a watch too close to a halogen bulb to charge the lume would make a plastic datewheel warp forwards and drag on the dial :bangin:

Needless to say, lessons have been learned, and I don't expose watches to intense heat like that anymore :victory:

Pshaw, 120 degrees is nothing! I cooked my ancient MBW in the blazing hot sun in Okla-stinking-Homa for days on end, to the point the case was so hot I couldn't hold it in my bare hand. It was easily 200 degrees. The dial went a little chocolate (cocoa crispies?) but everything stayed intact and it still works like a champ.

tropic.jpg

Pshaw, 120 degrees is nothing! I cooked my ancient MBW in the blazing hot sun in Okla-stinking-Homa for days on end, to the point the case was so hot I couldn't hold it in my bare hand. It was easily 200 degrees. The dial went a little chocolate (cocoa crispies?) but everything stayed intact and it still works like a champ.

tropic.jpg

I've had it in my mind that it's time for another watch torture test.

Hair blowers .. pot pourri ..sheesh.. :rolleyes: ...

next we'll hear bout the styling gel... :lol:

but remember Nanuq live in the ice age country and 120 degrees in boiler temp. is probably not the same on the outside.. :cold:

those little damp rid silica pellets are cool, by morning they are glazed over with moisture.. leave it long enough and the bottle cap will turn to liquid..if your room has a lot of humidity.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob you are taking 120 Fahrenheit ???? Too hot will soften the schelack that holds the jewels in place

Andy Andy Andy...you've been on this forum with Bob how many years and you don't know him? This is Nanuq...he's talking 120 Kelvin...that's summertime in the land of the Big White Bears.