When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

With reps being so good today...why buy a gen for thousands more?

WatchnRoll

I ask this because I was just in this dilemma and will share what happened to me.

As soon as I learned that Rolex was releasing the Sea Dweller Deep Sea I wanted to trade in my gen Sea Dweller for a new one. I bought my gen in 2005 from an AD and decided to take my SD to the dealer and work out a deal.

Before I did that I wanted to get a rep to see if I like the watch. Well I received the rep and I love it. Besides the minor bracelet issue I have (which Joshua is fixing) the watch is just top notch.

So, after some deliberation I went to the AD and tried out the DSSD and tried to work out the pricing...

The bottom line was I would need to come out of pocket an extra $6,100 to get the watch including my trade in of the gen SD (for a $3,800 trade in).

Are they freakin crazy???

I took pictures to compare the gen to the rep at my house and the differences are so minimal. (see my post in the Rolex section for pics). Why even think of spending the kind of money on a gen when the rep is nearly identical.

The amazing thing to me is the technology now that the reps are getting. The ability to replicate the slide lock bracelet for the DSSD on the rep is an amazing success and just illustrates why the gen is SO overpriced. How can Rolex even think that watch is worth $9,250.

Anyay, some of the newer reps are so close I could never justify spending the money for a gen anymore. I have owned gen watches before and bought the gen SD when my son was born. It is his watch one day so it won't leave me (unless I traded it in for another gen Rolex but now that won't happen either).

I'd love to own the gen DSSD just to know it will last a nuclear blast and of course the rep won't survive a jump in the pool...but for a savings of $8,850 i'll live with it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's sort of how I got hooked on Reps, but my story revolves around TAG.

Not saying I'll never by another Genuine, because I'm sure I will.....likely several.

I do like being able to 'test drive' a watch before dropping thousands on a piece I may grow to dislike. :whistling:

I agree with your assessment, and you are probably wise to stick with the Rep if you are happy with it and its limitations.

However to answer your question, "Why buy a gen for thousands more?". Specifically a DSSD.

1.) COSC Certified

2.) Waterproof beyond all human limits (great if you are into water sports)

3.) Knowing you can't be called out and thus embarrassed (if you are the type to worry about this sort of thing)

4.) A warranty (all be it limited time)

I do agree, if you are not planning to go diving with it and are not self-conscious, stick with the rep, and your Gen SD (a great watch!!!)

I agree with your assessment, and you are probably wise to stick with the Rep if you are happy with it and its limitations.

However to answer your question, "Why buy a gen for thousands more?". Specifically a DSSD.

1.) COSC Certified

2.) Waterproof beyond all human limits (great if you are into water sports)

3.) Knowing you can't be called out and thus embarrassed (if you are the type to worry about this sort of thing)

4.) A warranty (all be it limited time)

I do agree, if you are not planning to go diving with it and are not self-conscious, stick with the rep, and your Gen SD (a great watch!!!)

Ronin, as always, you make an excellent point. I have owned gens and reps of both Omega and Rolex. My gens are Omega Seamaster mid-size, Quartz; Omega Seamaster Professional Automatic; Rolex Submariner; Rolex Explorer II; Tissot Lelocle Chronograph; Seikos (and a few Invicta Reserves that - in my opinion - are as good as any rep, or worse). My first eye opening experience with reps was my purchase of a Rolex Yachtmaster Rolesium from Josh back in 2005. Not only was it very beautiful, but the darn thing has been in the ocean with me as well as the swimming pool and, as upsetting as it may be, it keeps COSC time since 2005 until now along with my gen Rolex Explorer II and my gen Rolex Submariner (of which I also have the "noobmariner" rep version). That had me scratching my head as to why I spent the extra $4500 on the Explorer II when my rep Yachtmaster keeps up just the same. Ok, the lume was not that good. But, I sent it to Kent Parks (recently) and the darn thing lights up like a torch with C3 Superlume.

I stopped buying gens for a long time after that. I only purchased a few reps, but from long-time members of the this forum.

Then, I went to a Rolex AD and saw the Rolex Deepsea Seadweller and fell in love with it. Again, I figured I'd have to sell a few of my gens to get that $9000 watch. Well, then I decided to purchase Josh's "Ultimate" version and it came in last week. You want to know how many seconds it's loosing per day? 5 seconds! That's what my gen Rolex Submariner looses. Now, this is the crazy thing: My gen Rolex Sub - used - cost me nearly $5000. My new rep DSSD cost me about $400, including shipping. The lume on the DSSD is good enough that I have literally awakened at 0400, looked at my watch and could actually tell the time with no issues. That's just crazy!

So, knowing that I can always find a number of certified horologists that will work on reps (Kent Parks being one; but, The Zigmeister being the master), I know that maintenance on my rep will be far cheaper than on the gen. Also, I doubt, seriously that I'll ever challenge the max depth rating of any of my watches, rep or gen. Heck, 30 - 50 meters is good enough for me. In fact, my unit's combat divers seldom swim deeper than 50m for any reason. Salvage divers is another story.

So, I came to the conclusion that I'll keep my gens and I will cherish them. But, my collection will only grow with carefully selected super reps. I just don't see any practical reason to spend thousands on a watch that will meet the same personal requirements as my reps and tell the time just as accurately.

Now, if quality of worksmanship is the issue and peace-of-mind in that area is paramount for some, then the premium of paying thousands more is certainly justified. With me, the performance of that amazing Yachtmaster rep just changed my mind for me.

Edited by Nouns Defions

Then, I went to a Rolex AD and saw the Rolex Deepsea Seadweller and fell in love with it. Again, I figured I'd have to sell a few of my gens to get that $9000 watch. Well, then I decided to purchase Josh's "Ultimate" version and it came in last week. You want to know how many seconds it's loosing per day? 5 seconds! That's what my gen Rolex Submariner looses. Now, this is the crazy thing: My gen Rolex Sub - used - cost me nearly $5000. My new rep DSSD cost me about $400, including shipping. The lume on the DSSD is good enough that I have literally awakened at 0400, looked at my watch and could actually tell the time with no issues. That's just crazy!

This is an excellent point and reminds me that I forgot to mention this in my original post.

I brought the DSSD rep to my local watch guy (not an AD). He was beyond impressed with the workmanship. I had a small dust spot on the dial so he opened it up for me and cleaned it out. He showed me this machine he has that can measure the accuracy of the movement. I'm a noob on this and don't know the name. Anyway, he tested his gen Rolex President and showed me the variance and then tested my DSSD with the ETA movement. He said my DSSD movt was spot on accurate. He said it was really impressive coming from a rep.

And, once I get the bezel insert replaced and test the watch for waterproofing...I am going to be really happy with the DSSD. I hope to get the new clasp and bezel from Josh this week.

The lume on the DSSD is just as good if not better than the lume on my gen SD. The stainless steel is 99% as good as the gen SD I have. The only thing are some sharp points on the clasp.

Regarding being called out on the watch....that is not likely to happen but could happen to anyone.

I do make a good living and can pull off nice watches without someone questionning it (unless they are a rep geek).. The DSSD and the Breitling Skyland are two reps that defy the rationale for gen costs to me...

Great read WnR :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Funny how some buy a rep to see if they would like the genuine and end up making RWG a daily habit and the reps a daily wear..

thanks for sharing your epiphany into the rep world.. I think there will be many more for you.. :D

AC/Lani

The question has already been answered here, and in other threads .. and to semi-quote "the gen feels different emotionally"

So ... there you have it in a nutshell. Many people can't be emotionally satisfied with a beautiful watch .. they have to KNOW they spent a fekking mint on it, or its just not good enough.

Either you are satisfied with owning a watch as beautiful just as a Rolex or you must HAVE a "Rolex".

Simple, really.

yup, the gen feels different emotionally. i have three gen Omegas and a one rep Omega. It just feels different. I still don't bring in my rep 4th Gen PO into the AD, but can do so anytime with my gens.

Now, when this super rep PO comes, all that might change. maybe.........

Most ADs dont know crap and couldnt tell on most of the super reps.

The emotional thing is different. I agree that I have a different emotional attachment to my gen SD. And that just comes from the confidence in knowing it's real...no questions asked...no discrepencies...no nit picking differences...it's the real thing and will last.

Now I just need to make sure my rep DSSD is waterproof to swim with or take in the water...then i'll be a happy camper.

I am into both and can say that I like and love both my reps and gens equally. I have reps of watches that I would not wear regularly like the Skyland and Bentley GT, I also like gold watches like the Navitimer and the Bentley Bid Date and do not want to pay the price for a solid gold case. However my gen grail watches I bought just to feel good about owning them as fine works of art/jewelry. I am not into rings or other jewelry, so watches are my thing. I have a 2 gen IWCs incluing the Portuguese (my true grail watch) and I have two gen Breits including a Super Avenger that doubles as a self defense weapon.

Generally I would not consider a gen over a rep if a good rep exists.

But that is frequently not the case. There may be no rep at all or just plain bad ones like the IWC Portuguese which looks good but has a crap movement.

Also consider that if you buy a carefully chosen gen second hand, it is unlikely to loose much value (it might even increase in value) and easy to sell later.

Reps are pretty impossible to sell (unless you can do so on one of the fora) and as such are pure consumption.

What I really dont get is $1,000+ frankens. They are at times not much less than the second hand gen and remain fakes even if some bits are gen.

I understand your conflict. When you come upon a super rep that really does pass the smell test and has all the functionality and 99% of the aesthetic of an expensive gen it is difficult to pull that gen trigger. :) This is one of the seriously best repped pieces.I was seriously considering saving up my money for a gen DSSD (based on buying an earlier rep version). With the latest versions I have concluded any gen money I have could be better spent. Then again I am not planning on going diving 2 miles below the surface.

I ask this because I was just in this dilemma and will share what happened to me.

As soon as I learned that Rolex was releasing the Sea Dweller Deep Sea I wanted to trade in my gen Sea Dweller for a new one. I bought my gen in 2005 from an AD and decided to take my SD to the dealer and work out a deal.

Before I did that I wanted to get a rep to see if I like the watch. Well I received the rep and I love it. Besides the minor bracelet issue I have (which Joshua is fixing) the watch is just top notch.

So, after some deliberation I went to the AD and tried out the DSSD and tried to work out the pricing...

The bottom line was I would need to come out of pocket an extra $6,100 to get the watch including my trade in of the gen SD (for a $3,800 trade in).

Are they freakin crazy???

I took pictures to compare the gen to the rep at my house and the differences are so minimal. (see my post in the Rolex section for pics). Why even think of spending the kind of money on a gen when the rep is nearly identical.

The amazing thing to me is the technology now that the reps are getting. The ability to replicate the slide lock bracelet for the DSSD on the rep is an amazing success and just illustrates why the gen is SO overpriced. How can Rolex even think that watch is worth $9,250.

Anyay, some of the newer reps are so close I could never justify spending the money for a gen anymore. I have owned gen watches before and bought the gen SD when my son was born. It is his watch one day so it won't leave me (unless I traded it in for another gen Rolex but now that won't happen either).

I'd love to own the gen DSSD just to know it will last a nuclear blast and of course the rep won't survive a jump in the pool...but for a savings of $8,850 i'll live with it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hello watchnroll i would keep the gen you may regret it later, and keep the rep dsdw i got mine from trusty and i have used it swimming with no problems trusty also have it rated a 50m if im not mistaken so it should be ok for a swimming pool of cause all wateresistant watches have to be checked regular and somethimes have rubber seals replaced, i find that most good quality reps are water resistant to a certain degree you can take your rep to watch repair shop and have it tested/sealed find a replica friendly repair shop!

I understand your conflict. When you come upon a super rep that really does pass the smell test and has all the functionality and 99% of the aesthetic of an expensive gen it is difficult to pull that gen trigger. :) This is one of the seriously best repped pieces.I was seriously considering saving up my money for a gen DSSD (based on buying an earlier rep version). With the latest versions I have concluded any gen money I have could be better spent. Then again I am not planning on going diving 2 miles below the surface.

What can i say Nothing!!!! you have said it all! :thumbsupsmileyanim: after all good quality reps are real watches in there own right! and great time keepers too what else do we need! aeromatic!!!

of course the rep won't survive a jump in the pool...but for a savings of $8,850 i'll live with it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well, let me just make your day.

I have a water tester (see the pinned article) and I test all my reps (see archives - I have more than 100). All the good ones water test just fine, and I have actually been scuba diving with some of the best ones.

Unless you got one that is defective, it will certainly perform just fine in a swimming pool.

Bill