When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Touch

freddy333

Yuki is now selling the 2 parts required to construct a working He valve for your 5514 Comex or 1665 Sea Dweller. Unfortunately, they are ridiculously priced at $100 (I am sure they much cost less than $1 to make), but at least you no longer have to buy a complete rep watch to get those parts as I used to do (Hev construction details in this link).

:g:

Yuki's had those valves listed for a while now. At $100 per, it's a bit... Steep?

Really who in their right mind would pay 100 usd for a little bitty piece of metal like that.. probably a fanatic for watches me thinks :nea:

highoeyazmuhudee

Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

in everyday reality whats the benefit of installing a working he valve in our reps? im asking

it's really part of the "hobby" to get the rep into it's finest state .. not that any of us would dive deep enough or even dive with the watch for that matter.. but for the tech aspect of the hobby.. It's just another challenge in an attempt to replicate the genuine.

I think I paid close to $200 for each of the 2 reps I bought to get those 2 tiny parts (for 2 different projects). But, when your goal is perfection (or as close as possible without spending the cost of the gen), you have to balance that $200 that gets you that much closer to your goal versus not spending the money & being that much further away. It all depends on which type of collector you are - bugger the cost........the I want what I want for the best price I can get it for or the I have what I have because I got good deals on them.

When the main goal is the project (you fall into the former category), the cost (within reason) becomes more of an incidental.

Folks,

Who is willing to do this mod? If I remember the posts from ages ago - it requires drilling the case with two different diameter drill bits, grinding some areas in the case for the "holder piece". Not a trivial mod.

If anyone has gotten good at this mod - would love to know.

IMO, this is certainly not worth the effort for a rep. A much easier way to accomplish the same "look", would be to purchase a short length of stainless wire in the correct diameter, drill the case, cut and polish a short length of wire, and then glue it into the case. You can probably do the whole thing for five bucks.

For those who want something better, buy the real thing! (or at least a Viet case) :whistling:

For those who want something better, buy the real thing! (or at least a Viet case) :whistling:

No, I agree with freddy. I have been sucked in to spending much more than common sense would dictate on getting a rep "just so". You just can't help it!

When the main goal is the project, the cost (within reason) becomes more of an incidental.