When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

waterproof and service

Simo

Go Swiming or leave it in the room  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should I wear my daytona in the pool on holiday now it have been serviced and water proofed

• Yes go ahead it should be fine
    • No don't be so stupid leave it in the room
    • I have worn my rep in the pool and it was fine

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I only wear watches in the water that I am not afraid of losing. Or if they are very easy to get fixed, if I ruin the movement and discolor the dial.

'Nuff said?

this has been debated time and time again. As Nanuq says...many keep their reps away from water...or keep anything valuable away from water...others only buy reps because they are in the water all the time.

If the dealer in China did the servicing...only trust it if you have it pressure tested after you receive it. The pressure test if done properly, will tell you if it's safe for swimming.

I only take the one's I waterproof meself to shower/swimming and have them tested to at least 10ATM if I plan to dive with them! Believe it or not, if you do some of the REP Chronos right, you could dive with them!

All these Chronos passed 10 ATM:

aproosaf1ewg7.jpg

aproonavy1.jpg

blktona6.jpg

tonapn4.jpg

mmxlltdwrst.jpg

and then some:

sub1v.jpg

pam036wrst.jpg

cokegmt1.jpg

ssd023800.jpg

pamsub1.jpg

and some guidelines:

isoh2oreg1.jpg

No... I understand that one, Nanuq. I wouldn't take that one into the water either. Actually, if that one were mine, I'd probably have it stashed in a safe...

BTW, glad to see the old avatar back! With the changes to the avatars, I'd always have to doubletake the user name, cause I usually associate people to their avatar pics :)

Yep it's snarly old me again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That watch was pressure tested to its max rating, then within a month it failed at 80 feet and flooded. It was rushed to a RSC (code blue) and they fixed it up good as new, which explains why it now wears a "flat" T39.

Moral of the story: check your watches ... often

I got it serviced and water proofed with Briciola so the work will be top rate.

Looks like it is a 60/40 in favour of taking it in the pool.

Ohhh what to do ;)

If your watch was to flood, would you have the skills to de-case the movement to dry the case?

If yes, then I would suggest holding the watch under a faucet running at full pressure for a few moments. That will let you know if the watch can withstand light immersion.

If no, take the watch off the bracelet, and fit it to a leather strap. That way, you can take the watch off near a pool, and if anyone asks (highly unlikely) you can just say you don't want to get the watch wet and spoil the leather strap ;)

If it is pressure tested there should be no problems. If you can trust your watchmaker to have done so, why any concerns?

I have generally found that reps are not waterproof out of the box. Some are, but most have to visit Briciola before I take to the water. So far I have had no reason not to trust him.

As to what pressure you will need for normal swimming, my own experience goes against the recommendations provided by the factories.

For years - before I went mad with res - I have had a beater which almost daily went swimming. Then because I was concerned about reps I had it pressure tested together with my reps.

It turned out only to be able to take 2 atm. That is well under the 5 atm recommended for swimming. However it has never taken in a droplet of water and I still use it (I keep it in my gym bag for when I wear a formal watch which will not go swimming with me :) ). Needless to say it still performs.

Still, best to make sure that it is tested to at least 3 atm. But don't panic if that is as far as it goes.

Edited by mbjoer

Well said, mbjoer. Another old trick is to fill a sink with blazing hot water, and drop the watch in. If it produces a stream of bubbles, snatch it out quick!

I have never tested my MBW and it goes swimming and into the hot tub and playing in the snow almost every day. That's why I keep it... as a beater. If it floods and seizes up, it's not a huge loss. That's its purpose in life.

Simo, a simple sports watch with a crown and nothing else, with a good crystal seal and the case back sealed and tight i would swim with, and i have but chronos have 50% more chance to let water in, I have a leak checker but even if a chrono passes i would rather swim with a simple sport watch, when i know a watch i will also do stupid things with it like this

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/fxrandy/schuhren/?action=view&current=DSCF0056.flv

and if that does not work try My link

but i take care with chronos!

I use all of my non chrono high end reps for swimming after putting a bit of lard on the seals and screwing the caseback tight. :whistling:

Never had a problem so far with the simple sport watches even with no testing (gambler)

Sub - Steelfish - Seawolf - GMT - SOH - DSSD and SD all work under water. :rolleyes:

The chronos I would worry about - being scared because I messed up a gen Old Navitimer in salt water once. :black_eye:

On the other hand if your watch is recently tested and you don't use the pushers a lot what's the problem? Dive in :victory:

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for a recommended watchsmith that is US based that does pressure testing/waterproofing on replicas. Has anyone used these services and can make a recommendation? I was able to find Briciola's contact info but he is EU based.

I've e-mailed Vac but haven't heard back yet. And I'm not sure if this is something he does.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a G-Shock I use for swimming (and flying, jogging, surfing, skiing, mountain biking, digging, mowing the grass, building a deck, etc etc). Basically anything that there's a good chance of beating up my watch, I go with the G-Shock. It's indestructible. And if I do find a way to break one (I haven't yet) it's only about a hundred bucks.

My nicer watches are for everything else. I think if I got pushed into a pool, the watch would be fine, but why deliberately chance it?

I'm looking for a recommended watchsmith that is US based that does pressure testing/waterproofing on replicas. Has anyone used these services and can make a recommendation?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

+ 1 I would like to get that information as well.

Thanks

jimmy p

I've been told that Vac now provides this service. His e-mail address is vaclume@gmail.com

Thanks,,, now my next noob question...

If I sent him a watch to test and it fails,,, are they able to attempt better water resistance modifications / repairs or do they just test it and tell you what its capable of.

Thanks much for your reply.

Cheers

jimmy

I'm also waiting for a response from Vac on that same question. I'm hoping so.

Ok thanks, would you mind posting the reply here so we are not both bombarding him with the same question?

Thanks

jimmy

Awesome, thanks for finding that.

Cheers!