When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do "you" expect from Reps ?

lanikai

I might be wrong, but I've always felt that the people with the unrealistic expectations aren't so much 'True Watch Fans', but people who want to be able to flash a Rolex in the club, without paying the gen price, and because they're so paranoid about getting called out, they're desperate for the details to be perfect, which leads to the requirement for perfectionin a rep, which an 'entry level' rep simply will not have. Of course, that is a very different mindset to someone who wants to build a perfect watch because of a love of The Watch, and the challenge of obtaining all the parts. I remember someone on a gen forum complaining that the hands on their Rolex didn't line up perfectly with the minute markers, and people pointed out that they were acting like it was the first expensive thing they'd owned, but ultimately, I think it was just another example of unrealistic expectations...

Just to give another element to the discussion, I know people have sometimes accused folks of wanting to wear a rep to pass it off as genuine. I'd like to offer this flipside to that feeling: It's nice to wear a watch which flys under the radar. Something that simply doesn't attract attention or scrutiny. Such a watch would never be passed off as genuine if noticed, but the chance of such a watch being noticed, is just not going to happen because of the watch being a 'sleeper'. I wouldn't say that was the same as wanting a flawless rep to be able to pass it off as gen, but certainly a 'related topic' :)

+1...Spot On...I couldn't have said it better! Being a watch lover, no matter the make & origin, that's the reason I'm here! I admire all watches and when expectations come into play you can be let down quite often. Realistic expecations are important!!!We're buying Reps and prior to purchasing a Rep, you have to take into consideration that the watch will not be perfect as it's not Genuine. Nothing really is "Perfect" in life anyways...so, in this hobby it's important to remember that if perfection is what you're after, then it's going to be forever an internal struggle. This hobby can get addicting and out of control like anything in life. Enough rambling though!

RWG is a great place to discover watches, both Rep & Gen...and when dealing with Reps, knowing what the flaws are ahead of time help me prior to "pulling the trigger" on a watch and I guess you could say, equalize my expectations. Great post Lani!!!

Cheers :drinks:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to offer this flipside to that feeling: It's nice to wear a watch which flys under the radar. Something that simply doesn't attract attention or scrutiny. Such a watch would never be passed off as genuine if noticed, but the chance of such a watch being noticed, is just not going to happen because of the watch being a 'sleeper'. I wouldn't say that was the same as wanting a flawless rep to be able to pass it off as gen, but certainly a 'related topic' :)

yep, this is why I will never buy a Rolex rep. I don't want to look like a high roller because fact is I'm not, people just have to see my step out of my car to realize that. I just love watches, and I wear an ebay store never heard of name, infact I don't even own a rep at the moment (which Im hoping to change soon).

And I have had many compliments on my watches, and they are no name brands. Most people don't care whats written on the face so much, but more about how the watch looks.

Oh and expectations wise I want something that looks good and tells me the time. I say good, not perfect, because like Eton stated above, that is unrealistic. Im a noob to this so naturally my expectations are lower than the veterans, but I'm also limited in budget, so you have to adjust your expectations to what your willing to spend.

My father in law has a saying, "perfectionists are constantly disappointed". Nothing in life is perfect, even gens have problems.

@TJ and Jkay

True, social situations should be accounted for in this hobby. Where I originally grew up, my Quartz powered Sub of Canal Street had the local yokals fooled back in 1986. Now, I live in a major metropolitan area where the NORM in my neighborhood is high end time pieces, -- mostly gen. At one dinner, at my local Sushi bar-- a glance down the bar revealed: (2 PAMs, 2 Breitlings, 1 Tag, 2 Rolex's). Also, many people are fashion conscious and are not totally ignorant and some even have a sort of sixth sense. My wife has an uncanny sense for spotting fakes just by the watches "presence" (sheen, crystal AR, etc). I also rub shoulders with "C" level executives on a regular basis. So, yes, I have somewhat of a slated perspective.

+1 to what By-Tor said. We are fortunate with some of the quality we have today. My original list of expectations still stands.

Seriously I just like them to be built well, to be shiny and love the tickticktick of the mechanical movement. While I don't care if they're absolutely flawless in comparison to their gen counterparts I want them to sport the original design, because great watch design is what I look for in the end.

Couldn't have said it any better.

I might be wrong, but I've always felt that the people with the unrealistic expectations aren't so much 'True Watch Fans', but people who want to be able to flash a Rolex in the club, without paying the gen price, and because they're so paranoid about getting called out, they're desperate for the details to be perfect

Soooo true. And not just the club guys either.

great theme to discuss and talk about big R :thumbsupsmileyanim:

and nice to read, for me its like it said bevore here, i like the look of the watches, the feelin and the beauty that they have while lookin and feelin them, for example my pam and my upo that i own, bevore i had them i was in AD

yep, this is why I will never buy a Rolex rep. I don't want to look like a high roller because fact is I'm not, people just have to see my step out of my car to realize that. I just love watches, and I wear an ebay store never heard of name, infact I don't even own a rep at the moment (which Im hoping to change soon).

And I have had many compliments on my watches, and they are no name brands. Most people don't care whats written on the face so much, but more about how the watch looks.

I have to admit, when I first got my EuroFakes Sub, I was never fully comfortable wearing it, and I think that was down to the name, as I never felt uncomfortable wearing a new modern Omega. The one thing I found counters that feeling, is vintage Rolex. I've found that a vintage watch gets much less attention than modern ones :)

@TJ and Jkay

True, social situations should be accounted for in this hobby. Where I originally grew up, my Quartz powered Sub of Canal Street had the local yokals fooled back in 1986. Now, I live in a major metropolitan area where the NORM in my neighborhood is high end time pieces, -- mostly gen. At one dinner, at my local Sushi bar-- a glance down the bar revealed: (2 PAMs, 2 Breitlings, 1 Tag, 2 Rolex's). Also, many people are fashion conscious and are not totally ignorant and some even have a sort of sixth sense. My wife has an uncanny sense for spotting fakes just by the watches "presence" (sheen, crystal AR, etc). I also rub shoulders with "C" level executives on a regular basis. So, yes, I have somewhat of a slated perspective.

+1 to what By-Tor said. We are fortunate with some of the quality we have today. My original list of expectations still stands.

But are they definitely gens? I know people who could easily afford to be wearing gens, but they wear reps... Might you be assuming that they're all gens just because of the status of the owners? As before, I'm curious as to what repercussions there might actually be if someone was discovered wearing a rep in the circles you describe. I mean, at work, people know who you are, what you do, and to a degree, what you earn, so would it really be so bad? And at a neighbourhood barbeque, it's not like someone is going to accuse you of being too poor to buy the real thing when they live right next door :D

@ronin

you are projecting your own social slant on everyone here .. I've used this example before, but Bell & Ross reps are totally under the radar. When people ask me about it, they think it's a department store watch. You can't use the Rolex replica example to cover all bases. If I wore an IWC rep or a B&R or a Montblanc .. 90% of people I meet or deal with would have no idea what they were supposedly representing.

I just love a beautiful watch, and don't want to feel like I was completely taken advantage of cost-wise when I buy one.

Even my UPO has gotten some nice compliments but no one I deal with understands that it's "supposed to be" a multi-thousand dollar watch.

For some perspective, I own an A8 ... I'm not a burger flipper ... so people who are not teenagers, who make a good living, can still be completely ignorant of what the replica watch you wear is supposed to represent .. and thus you are under the radar.

If I strap on the DSSDv5 then all bets are off. A dog knows what Rolex is supposed to mean.

As for the "you should get an Invicta if you are serious about your stance" argument ... Invicta to me carries the stench of the Home Shopping Channel and Jersey Shore ... it just feels tainted to me.

Reguardless of what you think a lot of people like Invictas and ShopNBC.Now who's projecting there social slant on the community? just saying, In the Interest of healthy debate :whistling:

@TJ and Jkay

I really do not think that anyone at the bar could spot a BK WM9 sub as a rep, period. As far as Panerai, less than $1000 US can get you a super rep that most would not be able to spot. I seem to remember a photo comparison which had shown what detail you would see up close, a foot away, and at what distance most people would see your watch at (might have been Fakemaster who posted that, I don't remember), and the details of a bad pearl, thick crown, date font being off, etc. could not be seen. Taking off the watch and handing it too them may be different, but even then, most folks would see the "sweeping" second hand and think it was real. Some super reps are good enough to warrant the caseback being removed to verify gen or rep. Remember, most folks who only go to the gen forums usually cannot tell a rep from a macro photo sometimes, and it usually takes a lot of guessing before the truth comes out. A lot of those folks do not even believe that the quality we can get is even possible. In the case of a DSSD, that whole watch design is proprietary enough to make the gen owners believe that such a good rep of one would not be possible. A franken like Ubi's Daytona would not be called out, period, simply because of all visible parts being genuine to begin with. I understand where you are comming from, and agree, its better wearing gen in some situations. But often I find that its the rest of the person who is the biggest tell. If you wear a rep, and hold yourself with confidence in everything you do, you won't be questioned. Its you watch, wear it with pride, it belongs on your wrist!

I have to admit, when I first got my EuroFakes Sub, I was never fully comfortable wearing it, and I think that was down to the name, as I never felt uncomfortable wearing a new modern Omega. The one thing I found counters that feeling, is vintage Rolex. I've found that a vintage watch gets much less attention than modern ones :)

But are they definitely gens? I know people who could easily afford to be wearing gens, but they wear reps... Might you be assuming that they're all gens just because of the status of the owners? As before, I'm curious as to what repercussions there might actually be if someone was discovered wearing a rep in the circles you describe. I mean, at work, people know who you are, what you do, and to a degree, what you earn, so would it really be so bad? And at a neighbourhood barbeque, it's not like someone is going to accuse you of being too poor to buy the real thing when they live right next door :D

I remember the last time I purchased a new car, the salesman was wearing a two tone blue dial submariner that was totally rep. How did I know? Well, the gold on the genuine does not wear off of the mid links, maybe the clasp, but not all the way up the bracelet. This was at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, so at first I thought it may have been gen. But even this brings up a good point. Did you all know that way back, Rolex did produce gold dress watches that were just "capped" and not solid? This was a lot like "gold filled" and a definate step up from just gold plating, but these older Rollies would often show the stainless on the back side of the watch and bracelet where (Google "gold capped Rolex to see many examples). So, if we were to see an older late '50s Rolex with some of the steel showing through, would we think it was an old rep? The bottom line, we are not all experts with these watches, we know a lot more than others, but there is still much to be learned and even noticing someones "apparent social status" is no guarantee that the watch they wear is real or not, its more a "feeling" that this person who owns that watch belongs wearing that watch.

Reguardless of what you think a lot of people like Invictas and ShopNBC.Now who's projecting there social slant on the community? just saying, In the Interest of healthy debate :whistling:

Nothing wrong with Invicta, they have been around for a long time. Where I think they screw up is when they market their versions of the submariner, planet ocean, etc. Look at watches like the Sub-Aqua Noma III and see a big heavy cool looking timepiece that is available in quartz or auto, some models even feature the ETA 7753. Now, if you could only get Invicta in exclusive shops in Paris or on the Ginza, and if they carried a much higher price tag, and were seen being worn by celebrities, we would be wanting reps of them. Let's be honest, one of the reasons we like our reps is because of the name on the dial and the ora of status that comes with the name. How did a company like Hublot, which only has a history that goes back to the early '90s, get to be such a highly sought after and replicated brand? Marketing, they put themselves where the well-to-do are. At the yacht races, polo tournaments and golf events. While their products are well made and nicely finished, they cannot hang their hat on any great and long history in watch making.

Woo, way off topic huh. Sorry about that, my original expectation of a rep is the overall feel and wow factor it gives. There, not we are back on topic :good:

Great thread Lani!!

Cheers B)

I remember the last time I purchased a new car, the salesman was wearing a two tone blue dial submariner that was totally rep. How did I know? Well, the gold on the genuine does not wear off of the mid links, maybe the clasp, but not all the way up the bracelet. This was at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, so at first I thought it may have been gen. But even this brings up a good point. Did you all know that way back, Rolex did produce gold dress watches that were just "capped" and not solid? This was a lot like "gold filled" and a definate step up from just gold plating, but these older Rollies would often show the stainless on the back side of the watch and bracelet where (Google "gold capped Rolex to see many examples). So, if we were to see an older late '50s Rolex with some of the steel showing through, would we think it was an old rep? The bottom line, we are not all experts with these watches, we know a lot more than others, but there is still much to be learned and even noticing someones "apparent social status" is no guarantee that the watch they wear is real or not, its more a "feeling" that this person who owns that watch belongs wearing that watch.

I know exactly what you mean there, I'll never forget seeing a TT Sub when Emily and I were on a train heading out of London during the rushhour. The guy wearing it was the other side of middle-aged, and obviously worked in the city, all good signs that he would be in a position to afford the gen :victory: But, his suit and shoes looked like they had come from a charity shop. Not 'good old', where a pair of shoes gets nicely broken in, but 'bad old' where they look in need of replacing, and the suit hung like dishrags off him. To me, that suggested that the watch was more likely to be a rep than a gen... Another time, I was in a DVD store, when a guy was standing next to me and happened to be wearing one... He was only wearing jeans, polo-shirt and loafers, but despite being 'casual', those clothes looked good, so I was more inclined to believe that the watch was genuine... I'm not a big fan of gold (and can't wear it) but I do like how the blue TT sub looks :) I think you summed it up best yourself here:

Its you watch, wear it with pride, it belongs on your wrist!

+1 :1a::victory:

as a previous owner of many high end watches (gen) and high end reps, i can only say that what i get for 500-1000 in reps is great value so that is what i look for in a rep good value compare to gen..That it is close to gen in looks is also very important..

Sorry to take us away from the OP, but just a quick follow up to TeeJay. Again this is all situational.

Trust me they are gens, I have spent enough time here and starring at macro shots. I know someone with genuine Picaso Paintings hanging on their wall. Walking into a high end AD/Jewler for them is like most people walking into Wal-Mart.

As to repercussions, let me just give you a couple of examples. Lets say you are a big corporate lawyer, or financial guy/broker. You sit across the table from lots of people everyday. To say all these people across from you are "ignorant" and won't spot a rep is naive. (I spot reps everyday because I am a WIS, my wife spots reps everyday, and she is NOT a WIS, go figure). That said, if the person across from you happens to know a thing or two about timepieces and spots it as a rep/fake-- do you really think that will reflect well on you? Could you imagine a customer loosing trust in you/a company because they spotted a fake? Would you risk loosing a $100,000 deal over a $200 vs $5000 watch? Heck, I would have more respect for a "frugal" business guy wearing a simple fashion plate watch like a Kenneth Cole. (While this scenario does not apply to me, do you see where I am going here?)

One more example, I have on occasion flown on the corporate jet with CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, etc. Close corners for a few hours at a time. What do you think a bunch of rich dudes talk about? (Business, Women, Cars, Booze, WATCHES, Cigars, Golf, Sports, etc). While they might not notice-- It is not worth the chance. In that particular circle, I don't want be know as the guy with the fake watches, simple as that. Maybe overlooked next promotion time? Thus, my gen collection. :)

Sorry to take us away from the OP, but just a quick follow up to TeeJay. Again this is all situational.

Trust me they are gens, I have spent enough time here and starring at macro shots. I know someone with genuine Picaso Paintings hanging on their wall. Walking into a high end AD/Jewler for them is like most people walking into Wal-Mart.

As to repercussions, let me just give you a couple of examples. Lets say you are a big corporate lawyer, or financial guy/broker. You sit across the table from lots of people everyday. To say all these people across from you are "ignorant" and won't spot a rep is naive. (I spot reps everyday because I am a WIS, my wife spots reps everyday, and she is NOT a WIS, go figure). That said, if the person across from you happens to know a thing or two about timepieces and spots it as a rep/fake-- do you really think that will reflect well on you? Could you imagine a customer loosing trust in you/a company because they spotted a fake? Would you risk loosing a $100,000 deal over a $200 vs $5000 watch? Heck, I would have more respect for a "frugal" business guy wearing a simple fashion plate watch like a Kenneth Cole. (While this scenario does not apply to me, do you see where I am going here?)

One more example, I have on occasion flown on the corporate jet with CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, etc. Close corners for a few hours at a time. What do you think a bunch of rich dudes talk about? (Business, Women, Cars, Booze, WATCHES, Cigars, Golf, Sports, etc). While they might not notice-- It is not worth the chance. In that particular circle, I don't want be know as the guy with the fake watches, simple as that. Maybe overlooked next promotion time? Thus, my gen collection. :)

I agree fully on what you are saying.

Well said :)

I don't think it really takes away from the OP, after all, if someone actually needs a rep to be perceived as a gen, then that is part of their expectation of the watch :)

Those're interesting examples, and of course, in the circles you're talking about, if everyone has the funds for a gen collection, when the cost isn't so much a consideration, I can see how a rep might be looked down on, but I think it depends on the circles themselves. As mentioned, I know people who could easily afford gens, but wear reps, and also know people who wear gens, but are totally oblivious to the watch in terms of brand/horological value, they just got it as it was a nice watch. I guess what I was meaning, is kind of along this examples: If I was to attend a barbecue in 'higher circles', wearing khakis and a shirt, if I was to wear my 6200 project, which actually looks like it is 50 years old, I would not expect it to be noticed or commented upon, but, if I was to wear the exact same clothes, but with a brand spanking new Ceramic Sub/DSSD etc, I would not be surprised if that would attract more attention, and possibly be commented upon.

[Edit to add] I think it's one thing to have a gen or a passable rep as a necessary 'work watch', and quite another for someone to want 'the Best Sub' just to impress skanks in a bar ;)

In my country, all high end watches that I've seen have been gens. Every single one of them. I've never seen anyone wearing a high end rep. I've seen some garbage reps on people though but even they are rare.

I think reps (and high end watches generally) are much more common in the US. Most of my real life American friends have a nice watch.

My thought's in posting this topic are many.. but mainly.. what is it "you" expect from a "Replica".. keping in mind that a replica will never be 1:1 with a genuine..some may be very close .. but "No Cigar".

When I first started on the "Journey' with reps. I remember being so excited that flaws did not even enter my mind.. then evolving to more detail in my purchases.. and again evolving into the base of this hobby (IMHO) of building or .. at least sourcing parts to be built.. to acquire "franken" reps.. that come closer to the real deal.. and along the way realizing that this is much more rewarding than waiting for that perfect rep that will probably never come.

And gaining more joy and reward than buying a genuine to meet "expectations".

If "Expectation" being the buzz word.. after all we are dealing with "copies".. "Reps".. "Fakes" whatever euphemism you care to use..

Reps have come a long way but sill never .. for a mirage of reasons (real or theorized)be exactly like the genuine.. some flaws being more glaring than others..

Every once in awhile.. I come to the question of my involvement in this hobby..where I need to take a step back, after looking at my collection.. and seeing the watches that have engulfed my over the years.. it comes down to the community and not so much the timepiece..

And at times wondering if we expect too much from the makers.. and forgetting what we are dealing with.. sonce some of the reps have risen in price .. and then recently seeing a drop in pricing points..

I'm just rambling now.. But what is your take on "Reps" and expectations ???

Thanks in advance..

AC/Lani

I expect them to lead me on, tease me and break my heart in the end :)

And that's probably the most accurate response yet, well done Marty!!

drinks.gif

Thank you! I should have added, that is if they make it through customs. As I type this, I have one waiting release on each coast. That is a first smile.gif This is a sickness ...

Reps are just fun... but so are Gens. Why should we be deprived of the enjoyment that these watches can bring cuz we don't have a trunk full of $ to spend on them?

I never try to pass reps off as gens, and if people think I'd really buy so many gens while I still have a mortgage to pay then they are straight up stupid!

For me the #1 reason to get a rep is to test-drive. I have a few gens, and before each one I had the rep. I know that there will be more Gens added to my collection, but why take the chance of it not fitting my lifestyle? I buy and sell reps all the time with no worries and no real drain on my wallet, and me and my brother trade reps all the time. That is what we get eachother for every X-mas too, a rep that we'd never really consider as a gen just for the fun of it. I just got him a Nautilus as he always thought it was an old-man watch and he loves it! When I wear my gens I have great sentimental value of all the times I had the same watch as a rep, and it makes me want to try out more reps until I find one that really speaks to me enough for me to get the gen... so far the Aquanaut rep is singing like a Canary :D

If someone out there made a decent Austin Martin Vanquish rep i'd get that too

Agree with most of what's been said, and for me the most important thing is that I like it (and it gets through customs). Pretty much, that's it. I fix my own watches and am happy to do so, so they need to be reliable, but if they need the occasional tinker, no worries.

I have reps and gens, and I generally wear a lower-end gen (something like the Kinetic my wife bought for my 40th) for work, rather than a rep. There's so much testosterone around work that the chances of some berk trying to big himself up by making somebody else look stupid is quite high, so I don't give them any ammo.

If someone out there made a decent Austin Martin Vanquish rep i'd get that too

Made me chuckle also - if it were repped, do you think that's how it would be spelt? :)

I live in the town where AM's were made, before Ford bought the company and introduced the production line. The most telling thing about a real Aston (as opposed to a Ford Martin) is the inconsistencies. They were hand-built and every one was different. Now, there's a thought... The old ones were gen, and were unreliable, inconsistent in their detailing, unreliable etc. The new ones are made in a factory, are identical, have great quality control and will never let you down. They also have less soul, but that's subjective.

Interesting how all the things which make a rep watch a rep, make (in my mind at least) a gen Aston a gen

Oh I wasn't trying to imply that buying from Shopping Channel was low class. I meant that soulless shills hawking crap with a fake smile make me sick.

Made me chuckle also - if it were repped, do you think that's how it would be spelt? :)

Interesting how all the things which make a rep watch a rep, make (in my mind at least) a gen Aston a gen

LOL, i always seem to spell it wrong... i don't know why. I type faster than I think

and +1 on the gen's being ford. I still <3 em

Absolutely - there's a lot of snobbery hereabouts where the Ford Martin's are concerned; I can't speak for everyone, but if I was offered a new DB9, I'd probably not refuse it, and I know that, given the choice of old or new for everyday use, I'd be hard-pushed to accept that sitting on the hard shoulder of a motorway looking at an achingly beautiful car steaming itself toward oblivion would be better than sitting inside another (also achingly beautiful) newer car wafting along in the outside lane.

Sometimes soulless equals reliability.

The perfect scenario would be a new one for everyday and an old one for high days and holidays.

In much the same way, I have a couple of expensive watches and a larger number of reps. They all do the same basic job - letting me know how late I am, some make me feel better than others, but that's all personal preference, and it's not always the gens that make me feel better.

I also have a number of "Austin Martin" Omega's which I wear most days, the everyday watches if you like. My gens are all vintage and my reckoning is that by using the reps for everyday wear, I can still use the genuine SM and Speedy on high days and holidays without them leaving me on the horological hard shoulder, wondering why they've stripped their drive belts.

Or is that an analogy too far? :whistling: