When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 5513/1680 crowns

FxrAndy

I just picked up some supposed vintage crowns, now i know only 3 of these are usable, and one is not a rolex to my surprise but i knew they were not perfect and as they are for a vintage then i may as well start with a vintage crown.

So lets number them 1 to 5 from left to right

2 to 4 look to have the crimped construction when you look through a loupe.

5 as we can see is a tudor trip lock

So my questions for Freddy and the other experts are any of these gen I am thinking 2 to 5 are gen but i am a long way from an expert in vintage rollys

DSCF0791.jpg

DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0794.jpg

DSCF0795.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

If all turn out to be crap i did not pay a lot so it is no hard ship but if 2 are good i am well happy and then can get some gaskets and tubes

Sorry for the crap photos but what if any thing can you see in them?

EVEN NUMBER ONE?? looks terrible to me.

You are right though two have knackered springs

I know i have to work on the photography :black_eye:

Right then cousins had some gen like tubes didnt they?

Freddy did you not manage to fix a broken spring in a crown before?

Originally, 1680, 5513 and 1665 came with the earlier 24-702 crown and tube assemblies, 701's if they date from the 60's.

But most have been updated by Rolex Service Centers to the 24-703 assembly as a part of routine servicing.

The CousinsUK aftermarket 24-7030 tube would go well with your decent crowns.

I recently upgraded my GWSD with the gen crown and rep tube- the 24-703 assembly.

P1000285-2-1.jpg

Do you get them from the Bay, 5 not so fine crowns from a german seller? got the same package, holding it next to my gen they do not look too bad.

and paying 18€ for 5 crowns isn´t a bad deal at all ;-)

6207683a.jpg

I also bought these, if you need springbars from this time:

db277ce8.jpg

Springbar note...

High quality swiss made aft/mkt springbars are virtually identical to genuine for $2 or $3 each.

I have both and always mark the genuine parts with a magic marker so I can tell them apart if they get mixed up by accident.

Mine came from Startime Supply in Houston TX.

http://store.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=1D_Rolex_SBars_Asst

I ordered these crowns from the same guy. I had two tudors in my batch of five. I sent him An email explaining his errorand he quickly sent me two more rolex crowns. Also mention the ones with the worn spring tubes and he may replace those also. He sold ne

mine guaranteed to be useable and genuine rolex. He sure seems to have a lot of these crowns. He prob hangs out behind the rolex service centers and raids Their garbage bin out back for used parts. If I lived near a RSC I would do the same lol.

Edited for spelling mistAkes. Stupid iPhone. Haha

I used to regularly check out the bins of my local harley shop, you would be amazed what they chucked away, kept may bikes on the road with their scrap

Now if i lived next to an RSC i would be hiding in the bin i think