When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Shape of Things to Come - 1530

jmb

The title of this thread, where did that come from? Seems I remember if being an ad slogan for the Fiat X1-9 or Triumph TR7, but I digress....

I was fascinated by the really strange looking Datejust with the integrated band JoJo posted so my evil little gears started churning, I ordered a basic plain-Jane silver dialed Datejust, and then the gears went to sleep for a while. Well, last week the gears struggled back to life and I ordered a small spool of 316L welding wire and some heat dam putty. The stuff got here yesterday so today I went out to the shop to play. I'll just toss up a couple pics as a teaser and if the project actually sees completion (and I'm not too ashamed of it) I'll post a how-to as I am taking a few snaps along the way.

I have one end about 95% roughed in, just some final shaping and a polish. All of the lathe, mill, and rough filing are done. Although there are still a couple of pits left I'm half tempted to leave 'em (and not risk screwing something up) and call it "aging"! :rofl:

23_sm.JPG

25_sm.JPG

24_sm.JPG

The slot for the band attachment, and lug hole still needs to be done but that is a subject for another day...

OK, the lug mods are "roughed" in unless I want it to look like an old abused watch then they are almost finished! :brow: I think this will have to go back into the box for a while as I have some retention rings, to make, other stuff to mod, real job, etc... :p

29_sm.JPG

Nooooo LH, I wanted the stainless version! I've never been much on gold watches and the only "yellow gold" piece of jewelery I have is a simple wedding band...

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll file a chamfer on all edges and decide if I should fill any more of the pits or let them go... If I knew the match would be perfect I'd just fill the remaining minor blemishes with silver-solder... I still have to make the conical "chapter ring" and figure out how to get markings on it. For this I will just machine the rehaut straight, machine the ring, and press into the case

OK, the lug mods are "roughed" in unless I want it to look like an old abused watch then they are almost finished! :brow: I think this will have to go back into the box for a while as I have some retention rings, to make, other stuff to mod, real job, etc... :p

29_sm.JPG

And I thought I was busy....................................... :thumbsupsmileyanim: Looking good my friend!

Andy - I think the 1530 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date may have used the same case, they sure look the same.

@high - I wish! It probably would have been easier... :blink: This started as a Datejust case and I welded up between the lugs with 316L filler wire and re-machined. Look at picture #2...

I had a little spare time today so I finished shaping the case, polished the sides a bit, milled slots for the band, and drilled holes for the band pins. Don't really know if I can refer to the holes as "lug holes" on this one!

Drilling almost .31", straight, with a .061" bit is an a$$ kicker! One cobalt bit was able to make three clean holes, the 4th started and then the bit started "walking". I immediately stopped and switched bits but that hole is one I/m not very proud of. Here's a nice one: ;)

39_sm.JPG

The band doesn't really look correct as the mid-links are too narrow, the links are curved, and the band isn't quite wide enough but for now it will have to do.

46_sm.JPG

Maybe tomorrow I'll make some pins for the band and press them in.

Thanks, chief! It's almost starting to be fun making this thing now that all of the little burns I got (dumba$$ didn't wear his gloves) are healing and don't sting anymore!