When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which watches in your collection are true 'keepers'?

ubiquitous

I've had my fair share of watches come and go, but for sure my Tudor is a definite keeper. It has been lovingly tended to by so many great members here! This one was a true labor of love and patience and I love every little bit of it!

Wow!Wow!Wow! cue for a kylie minogue song mabe?

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming reps...so here we go:

1. Omega sm300 viet case with gen crystal, caseback, crown, movement, and second hand. It has been a labor of love. I have a gen bezel and am trying to make it work. I am currently on the look out for a better dial at a reasonable price. Sorry no pic at the moment!

2. DSSD Ultimate and ETZ V5 merge. I completely merged the best of the two and completed it just before the newer ultimates came out. Needless to say, I was [censored], because the parts weren't a direct swap!

P1012528.jpg

3. srsd 1665. I is from an incorrect thin cased cartel 1665. I removed the engravings on the caseback and reshaped the CG's. I kept the bracelet, because according to the Japanese SeaDweller handbook, this bracelet existed.

P1012963.jpg

P1012979.jpg

4. DW Daytona with gen 7753, tube/crown, gen 93150 bracelet, movement modified to manual wind (yeah, yeah dial is incorrect, but I like it).

P1012983.jpg

P1013130.jpg

5. Tudor 7922...Gen 390, custom dial from NDT, gen tube/crown. Another labor of love and money pit! It needs better hands!

P1013090.jpg

Cheers!

I am contemplating as to whether any/all are keeps in my collection or not. Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but I sat down the other night and started thinking about these shiney toys made of steel and sometimes plastic, sapphire, leather... And my mind began to wander as I started to think about at what point I would liquidate them at... If at all.

I've yet to come to any conclusion still...

I am contemplating as to whether any/all are keeps in my collection or not. Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but I sat down the other night and started thinking about these shiney toys made of steel and sometimes plastic, sapphire, leather... And my mind began to wander as I started to think about at what point I would liquidate them at... If at all.

I've yet to come to any conclusion still...

I am betting you ain't going anywhere. ;) But I do have to say that I have watched Ubi go through these "time to redo the collection periods". In fact out of one of those became one of my "keep till I die" frankens:

DSCN1266.jpg

Indeed... Sometimes, ya just want to switch things up a bit. Plus, there was a sliver of a moment there where I was thinking about selling all to chase a grail gen, but I know in the end I'd regret that decision.

That one I would bet money on. Ubi with one on the wrist and an empty watch box? :bangin: By the way I just figured out I am heading out your way shortly. I will definitely see you a couple of times over the Summer. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Indeed... Sometimes, ya just want to switch things up a bit. Plus, there was a sliver of a moment there where I was thinking about selling all to chase a grail gen, but I know in the end I'd regret that decision.

Well I sure do hope (and I know many others agree with me) that you keep all your "keepers" and keep being the big and important part of this community that you are! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Indeed... I think having a single watch would likely drive me crazy. And selling all of my collection would only get me about half way to where I need to be on my grail anyways. I'd have to go for a bit with no watch on the wrist... And that ain't happening :)

Plus, I'd then have to start rebuilding the collection again... :bangin:

W- You said a couple times this Summer? NICE! Let me know when you're in town!

M- No matter where my watch interests take me, RWG is and will always be my home. One can talk watches anywhere, but my horological family is here :) (and by the way.... thank you -_-)...

Unfortunately I got rid of the one watch I should have kept. If you have to think about getting rid of something don't.

So true. But unfortunately with one or two exceptions I fall in love with all of them and I have no business still owning all of them. I promised I would make room for a couple coming in and so far I have dodged the bullet.

These threads are always a good read.

My keepers would be:

1. Seamaster Professional "Bond"

ca 2005. My first ETA-replica, and was my "offshore-watch" when I worked on oil rigs. It has aquired a nice patina. Maybe the best bracelet ever.

2. Seamaster Professional Chronograph.

A good replica. A bit top heavy. It is one of few watches which has grown on me. Better wave pattern on the dial than the regular version.

3. Tag Heuer Carrera CV2010 Chronograph.

My overall favorite! Just love the styling and bracelet. ( the one I wear today).

4. Rolex Sea-Dweller.

The "best" version of the old type. Well built.

5. Rolex Submariner, Noob.

Everybody needs a Sub in their collection. :)

6. TagHeuer Formula 1 Chronograph Quartz

An excellent replica, with same movement as the genuine. Not that often I wear it, but nevertheless a keeper!

7. Breitling SuperOcean XL

Best AR of my watches. Solid build. Not a favorite, but its qualities makes it a keeper.

8. Rolex Daytona 6263

Nice watch with the bulletproof ST-18 manual chronograph movement. Low profile and well-balanced.

Of my gens, these are keepers

1. Rolex DateJust, 1988.

Serviced neo-vintage watch. A classic!

2. Poljot Shturmanskie

A True cold war pilot watch.

In a line to be sold is Rolex 5517, Breitling Chrono-Matic and IWC Ingenieur

Man oh man, there sure are a lot of Rolli's in this thread.

Not for me, I guess.

My keepers are pretty varied.

Top three:

My Ziggified MBW PP Nautilus (IMO, Best non modded rep ever)

post-22-127266368933_thumb.jpg

My Ziggiefied EL V1 #1 IWC Pilot Chrono

post-22-127266374348_thumb.jpg

And my ChinaTown TW best 2254.50 Seamaster Pro w/ gen rubber strap and deployment

post-22-127266370928_thumb.jpg

These three reps are as good as they get, IMO.

Some might disagree. But who cares what 'They' say.

The main reason I collect beautiful watches is because of pieces like these.

I once had over 40 reps. I am now down to 13. 3 fewer, to go, and I will be done.

A few of the great masters on this forum have often repeated the mantra, "Quality not Quantity".

I hope to get there one day.

Here are few others I still like as well.

post-22-127266523088_thumb.jpgpost-22-12726653284_thumb.jpgpost-22-12726651744_thumb.jpg

Nice thread Ubi. It is all about the 'Love'.

My true keepers are all gens as I have sold all but one of my reps.

Looking through my photobucket to grab the below photos it struck me just how many watches I have owned over the last few years. :shock:

Tudor Sub;

P1020357.jpg

Bell and Ross Vintage;

P1020117.jpg

Omega Speedmaster;

P1010931.jpg

Breitling Super Avenger;

IMG_1568.jpg

Deciding what is a "permanent" keeper is a pretty hard choice. In the past I have sold watches that six months or a year before the sale, I vowed to keep forever. I have kept a couple that at first I wasn't too keen on, but they have grown on me. There are some that in my early years, I sold because I needed funds, or sought after another one that I thought I would like better. Some of those would be quite valuable now, but who could see into the future 30 + years.

I have thinned the herd down considerably over the past few years, primarily because one can realistically have only so many watches in any rotation. I find that I tend gravitate to a few (4-5) and these are my daily wearers. I am one that tends to love the latest arrival, and consequently it gets a lot of wrist time at first.

Here are the ones I will probably keep, the genuines to pass along to my son & daughter, the reps, because I like them.

Genuine

IWC Calatrava -The consumate dress watch, thin, elegant and really correct for a formal occasion

IMG_0816copy.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Pro - It gets very little wrist time, but one that I wear at times and really like. Not having date and manual wind are the only minuses that keep it out of the regular rotation

IMG_1850.jpg

Omega X-33 - No longer sold to the public, it's about as funky as you can get, but if you want functions, it's got 'em

IMG_2701.jpg

Rolex GMT 16750 - This is probably my favorite watch, comfortable to wear and GMT is a useful feature to me.

GMT16750.jpg

Doxa Pre-Sub - This one is as rare as hen's teeth, only one to surface in the modern era. Definitely not in the rotation, but it's not going anywhere

IMG_5267.jpg

Replicas

A for sure keeper is my Rolex 1680 - Lots of genuine parts and a nice watch

IMG_6090a.jpg

Rolex SD WM9 16600 - Doen't even have it yet, but I really like SD's, and I have a feeling this one is going to have a permanent home

I have a couple of other genuines and several other reps, mostly Rolex, and while I like them, and they comprise almost all of my daily wearers, I couldn't say for sure that any of them will survive the test of time.

keepers ? so many nice watches out there and so littly money :)

i hope to manage to keep this 2 watches a few month longer ;)

the "Pepsi" - as a daily beater it needs SELs and SL - lugholes are a nice extra :rolleyes:

IMG_2409.jpg

the "Base" G-series = fat CG, the nicest movement and the cleanest dial

IMG_1192.jpg

cheers,

Frank