When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETZ 2010 DSSD photos and a short review

panerai153

Well fellow hive dwellers, the long awaited ETZ 2010 model finally arrived at my doorstep yesterday. I have to say, it was super fast shipping from Bangkok to the USA. It went out last Monday the 19th and arrived at my door one week later Monday the 26Th.

All in all, this is a much nicer and more true to the genuine model than the V5. I'm going to let the photos do most of the talking. You can make your own judgment from them. I do have to say, this is one serious chunk of stainless. If your looking for a "petite" watch, the DSSD is definitely not the watch for you.

IMG_6191a.jpg

This is a head on photo, primarily to show the alignment of the Original Gas Escape Valve Ring (OGEVR) It is fairly well aligned, the font spacing is still not absolutely correct, as it should extend from right past the 10 marker to almost the 2 marker, but it's better than before.As an aside, I have seen several genuine DSSSD's that have a misaligned OGEVR, so it's not just the reps! The date window is tapered as it is supposed to be, the lettering looks OK,and the alignment is straight. The bezel insert looks OK, the spacing of the 10 is correct, and although the spacing is correct, I believe the genuine has a tiny bit fatter fonts.It looks like the date wheel is a little off in this photo, but it's not, it's dead center of the opening.

IMG_6195a.jpg

Side view, primarily to show the bezel, bracelet and SEL's. The crystal on this one is exactly as it should be it is almost flush with the bezel insert, actually when you run your finger across the crystal, the bezel insert is a little "proud" of the crystal. I would like the SEL's to be a little tighter, but they are acceptable to me.Makes it easier to get the bracelet off! The pearl is raised and rounded like the genuine.

IMG_6196a.jpg

Another side view from the other side. Same thing with this SEL. Bracelet is very nice, comfortable and keeps this big chunk of steel centered on my wrist.

IMG_6197a.jpg

Side view of the HEV. believe that the proper HEV is slightly indented, which this one is.

IMG_6198a.jpg

Crown side, side view. Looking at the crown, CG's and case profile, looks pretty good.

IMG_6193a.jpg

Case back view. The inner case back is the correct taper, and the lettering is very nice, correct fonts and spacing.

IMG_6199a.jpg

Clasp is better than the previous, snaps closed, and the fit of the parts are much nicer.I haven't seemn a genuine clasp opened up, so I cannot comment on the correctness of the lettering on the clasp.

IMG_6201a.jpg

This shows the Glidelock opened up. this one works really nice. The inner piece slides easily and the Glidelock snaps down into place securely. This is much improved over the V5 version.

P4270039a.jpg

This is and attempt to show the Rehault engraving. It's very hard to photograph, as there is quite a bit of crystal distortion, and the engraving (laser etching) is very small. I don't have a clue as to the correctness of the Rehault, but the engraving is there, just very hard to see. my eyesight is not the best, nd even in bright sunlight, I could barely make out the Rehault engraving.

P4270048a.jpg

The obligatory Wrist shot. Even though the DSSD is a massive watch, it doesn't wear as big as it looks. It balances well on the wrist, and although it doesn't "disappear" on my wrist like my 16750 GMT, it certainly is comfortable.

What could be done to improve this watch? Well, for the money, it's a very nice watch.Mine is the ETA version, and so far it's running about 15 seconds fast in 24 hours. If you notice there weren't any lume shots. Well, frankly, the lume like almost all rep lumes, sucks! I had the watch out in bright direct sunlight for at least and hour yesterday. Lume lasted about 15 minutes,and it was gone. It's a nice uniform blue color, which is very impressive, but it fades so fast you hardly know it's there. I can't understand why rep manufacturers selling 400+ USD watches can't put a decent coat of lume on the hands and dial indicies.

All in all I really like this watch, my plans are to eventually send it off and have the ETA movement serviced and regulated, the dial,hands relumed and have it pressure tested, not that I'm going to dive with it, but i would like to know if it's safe to wear at the Beach, fishing, swimming and in the rain.

Clasp is better than the previous, snaps closed, and the fit of the parts are much nicer.I haven't seemn a genuine clasp opened up, so I cannot comment on the correctness of the lettering on the clasp.

Lettering on the clasp is spot on...

I am looking forward to getting mine biggrin.gif However everything is on semi-hold here in Norway because of the f**ing ash cloud from Iceland!! So delivery times have shot up considerably..

Tell me.... Does it look like the new "316F" steel? like in shine? Neo told me that they would use the new steel in the 2010 model..

EDIT: By the way.. The factory that makes the new 2010 model is not delivering the Clone ETA movement anymore, so I had to spring for a Gen ETA in mine. Those of you who have ordered with the Clone ETA might have to wait for a while to get your orders :( ETz is looking for sources for Clone ETA at the moment, and they have found no dealers yet..

Edited by ASCIWhite

ASCI,

No sure as to the steel number. comparing it to my genuine Tudor 9411, it looks very close. It definitely has more shine and brightness than my previous Rolex reps. i will try to do a side by side of the DSSD, and my genuine Tudor 9411 and my 16750. Putting them together should show differences and similarities between the rep steel and the genuine steel.

plaifender,

Your right, it looks much nicer than the ETZ V5, and has a better bezel than the others. My only gripes which are pretty universal with reps is the sorry lume. How much more would it cost to do a really nice lume job from the factory. What they are doing is forcing us to spend more money trying to correct a problem that should be done at the source.

That is a beautiful watch!!! I have been wanting a DSSD but have waited to see how things flush out. Which version is that from ETZ? They have one labeled Ultimate Edition and Best Version 5. Is there another on their site that I missed? Congrats!!!!

That is some quality controlled datewheel alignment

or is it just the pics?

I think my friend got the same model from MBK

It's the photo. He says this in his mini-review.

As for the steel brightness, I used a Cape Cod cloth on my mid-2009 v5 and it shines like silver ... you would really be surprised how dirty your SS watch is, and you don't even realize. I can tell just by looking at these pic that the watch needs to be cleaned.

Nice write up AP. And too bad about the lume. Sometimes I think it's just the luck of the draw, I ended up with a Steelfish Super Ocean with really great lume- the kind where you walk in the house during the day and the lume is glowing inside and it's not even dark- reminds me of one of my Ziggy relumes- which is where I'm sure you're going next. Take care.

What they are doing is forcing us to spend more money trying to correct a problem that should be done at the source.

hey panerai... you're preaching to the Choir!!! congrats by the way!

p.s. Polish that bad boy up and you're good to go.. the finish does look a little dull.. but i think with a fine refinishing pad and some cap cod it'll shine like the dickens.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 2 weeks later...

panerai153... as you know I have been following your journey on the DSSD for a while now.

I just wanted to say it's fantastic that you finally received it, and I can tell you are

as happy with it as I am with mine. Sure we got them from different places but who cares,

main importance is we get to enjoy them!!!

A big congrats and enjoy it often brother!

panerai153... as you know I have been following your journey on the DSSD for a while now.

I just wanted to say it's fantastic that you finally received it, and I can tell you are

as happy with it as I am with mine. Sure we got them from different places but who cares,

main importance is we get to enjoy them!!!

A big congrats and enjoy it often brother!

Thanks very much G. I really like it a lot. Mine is off to get the lume job as well as a movement service and have the HEV valve epoxied shut. It will probably be away for a few weeks, but it should be about as nice as you can make one of these when it gets finished.

the date wheel is off or was it the angle?

EZ qc getting bad to worse..

Thanks very much G. I really like it a lot. Mine is off to get the lume job as well as a movement service and have the HEV valve epoxied shut. It will probably be away for a few weeks, but it should be about as nice as you can make one of these when it gets finished.

Anybody have already order the cheapest one (DG2813) ?

which is here ?

I'd like to know if it the same quality than the same higher quality one.

I do not know about the current 2010 ETZ model but in 2009, all their DSSDs were v5 case bodies and dials, regardless of the movement you bought.

the date wheel is off or was it the angle?

EZ qc getting bad to worse..

I'm not sure you read the review. Here is a direct quote."It looks like the date wheel is a little off in this photo, but it's not, it's dead center of the opening".The camera was not centered exactly in that photo. As far as the QC, I'm pretty happy with this one, but I've seen others that the QC is not as good. Unfortunately, with most reps, what the dealer gets, he ships to the buyer. There are some exceptions to that, but by and large the dealer is just moving merchandise down the pipeline. It's been said a million times here and on other forums, if you want top of the line QC, get a genuine.

To be honest, I felt like the V5 was good enough. I've had both the V4 and V5 and, at this juncture, the corrections are getting to the point of being discernable most likely only to us. But, I find that the watch fills the role just fine at V5. But, this looks good, I have to admit. The lume on my version 5 is awesome. I wonder, did I get a fluke? Honestly, my lume lasts as much throughout the night as some of my gens. Mine is the ETA version - confirmed - and keeps time to 7 seconds per day. So, no complaints there either. I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of this one and the V5. I'm not as well versed so as to catch the small details of improvements on this one.

To be honest, I felt like the V5 was good enough. I've had both the V4 and V5 and, at this juncture, the corrections are getting to the point of being discernable most likely only to us. But, I find that the watch fills the role just fine at V5. But, this looks good, I have to admit. The lume on my version 5 is awesome. I wonder, did I get a fluke? Honestly, my lume lasts as much throughout the night as some of my gens. Mine is the ETA version - confirmed - and keeps time to 7 seconds per day. So, no complaints there either. I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison of this one and the V5. I'm not as well versed so as to catch the small details of improvements on this one.

supposedly.. the differences will be:

1.Improved dial finish

2.Better Bezel Pearl (nice and rounded unlike the v5 flat-"glass-o-milk"-pearl)

no clue about any other improvements.. maybe better HEV.. although still incorrect function.... anyone else that can chime in? :whistling:

2.Better Bezel Pearl (nice and rounded unlike the v5 flat-"glass-o-milk"-pearl)

Do you mean that other versions - specifically V5 - have a flat-across-the-top bezel pearl? I ask because my V5 has a rounded top bezel pearl. The only thing I'd say about the pearl is that the gen has a "whiter" colored pearl. Anyway, I look forward to the new and improved versions. I can only see this model of rep getting better and better in the next two years being that it has sold so successfully. In fact, I have not seen another rep get so much attention in gen forums as the Rolex DSSD rep.

Thanks for the info.

Do you mean that other versions - specifically V5 - have a flat-across-the-top bezel pearl? I ask because my V5 has a rounded top bezel pearl. The only thing I'd say about the pearl is that the gen has a "whiter" colored pearl. Anyway, I look forward to the new and improved versions. I can only see this model of rep getting better and better in the next two years being that it has sold so successfully. In fact, I have not seen another rep get so much attention in gen forums as the Rolex DSSD rep.

Thanks for the info.

No prob. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

what gen forum are you referring to Bansenshukai??? :whistling: