When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Apropo

I'm no grammar/spelling nazi as you could tell if you chose to peruse my posts here. But I am an editor of novels and magazines and felt is was my duty to post this because I've never come across a forum that is so littered with the word 'apropo'.

There is no such word as 'apropo'.

There is however a word derived from ancient French 'apropos'; but it means 'incidentally' not appropriately.

:p

I myself am also a grammatical freak. As a teach of english as a foreign Language, i'm constantly on the prowl for incrrectness. Although I have to say that I don't recall seeing this word often on the forum.

I've always used the words apropos as a substitute for "with regards to"

ex. Apropos the scheduled class tomorrow, it will have to be canceled.

In german "apropo" is very common used... meaning is like usage of "by the way/btw" in english

you have to be careful though in greece "apropo" means "finger in the b_utt" lol :nea:

George

Haha, I'll be careful not to say it in Greece then (though I never say it anyway). But I have it on good authority by my German native friend, that it’s also "apropos' in German; meaning incidentally or 'by the way' if you like.

Though she did mention that there were sweeping language changes to the German language a few years ago and perhaps zee Germans dropped the silent 's'.

We use a lot of German derivations in English - kindergarten, hinterland, angst , strafe etc.

Haha, I'll be careful not to say it in Greece then (though I never say it anyway). But I have it on good authority by my German native friend, that it’s also "apropos' in German; meaning incidentally or 'by the way' if you like.

Though she did mention that there were sweeping language changes to the German language a few years ago and perhaps zee Germans dropped the silent 's'.

We use a lot of German derivations in English - kindergarten, hinterland, angst , strafe etc.

this is true.. english is roughly 40% english and 60% franco-latin :).. if you heard a clip of old english you wouldn't even recognize it! (old english is english before the introduction of latin to the language..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13cES7MMd8

• 2 weeks later...