When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tuesday W/C

Ronin

Today, I am following Mr. Big's lead (top down, but with different models & sans the inscription)

satc2merc.jpg

satcdj1.jpg

Do you know what dial combo Big's watch is? I'm sure he wore a DJ in the series, but wore a strapped watch in the first movie... (I'm not a fan, but Emily is...)

Do you know what dial combo Big's watch is? I'm sure he wore a DJ in the series, but wore a strapped watch in the first movie... (I'm not a fan, but Emily is...)

Unless someone has a pre-release bootleg copy, we will not know until the movie is released on the 27th. But, in the series, he often wore a TT DJ with (I think) a white dial & stick markers. The close-up I posted above is from the trailer, which is obviously a steel DJ. My guess, since the SATC writers & producers are famous for following cutting-edge fashion trends very closely, is that they decided to tone down Big's watch to bring it more into line with today's smaller, more understated mens' watches.

Unless someone has a pre-release bootleg copy, we will not know until the movie is released on the 27th. But, in the series, he often wore a TT DJ with (I think) a white dial & stick markers. The close-up I posted above is from the trailer, which is obviously a steel DJ. My guess, since the SATC writers & producers are famous for following cutting-edge fashion trends very closely, is that they decided to tone down Big's watch to bring it more into line with today's smaller, more understated mens' watches.

Ahh, I wasn't sure if there might have been any other shots available. As you say, trends are leaning towards the smaller watches, I just think it an irony that Rolex bought out the DD II line with the larger cases, yet a movie like SATC is more likely to get guys either buying a watch like Big's (or their women buying the same thing as a gift for them) rather than simply being swayed by the adverts for the DD IIs :) Oh the fun of marketing and product placement :D

Ahh, I wasn't sure if there might have been any other shots available. As you say, trends are leaning towards the smaller watches, I just think it an irony that Rolex bought out the DD II line with the larger cases

I always thought Rolex made a big mistake by waiting so long to release their larger watches & thus missing the crest of the big watch craze in the early 00s.

yet a movie like SATC is more likely to get guys either buying a watch like Big's (or their women buying the same thing as a gift for them) rather than simply being swayed by the adverts for the DD IIs

I agree. I got my 1st TT DJ (& Armani suit) in the mid-80s at the behest of my then girlfriend, who was in love with the David Addison character played by Bruce Willis in the Moonlighting tv series. Product placement, even when unintentional, can be very profitable.

I always thought Rolex made a big mistake by waiting so long to release their larger watches & thus missing the crest of the big watch craze in the early 00s.

I think had they released the larger watches instead of the bejewelled GMT monstrosities, they might have got better results. I have to admit, I think the larger size DJs might be, for many, an ideal daily beater, although personally, I think given the size of the Submariner, I wonder if they might seem 'oversize' by comparison...

I agree. I got my 1st TT DJ (& Armani suit) in the mid-80s at the behest of my then girlfriend, who was in love with the David Addison character played by Bruce Willis in the Moonlighting tv series. Product placement, even when unintentional, can be very profitable.

Absolutely. I never saw the series, but I think something like that, or maybe Will & Grace, was probably a marketing guru's dream project, given the target audiences :)