When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pp Nautilus... Lovley, Or Ugly?

ubiquitous

I think that Nautilus is the finest sport watch of the swiss Maisons, but also AP and Overseas are very very good, not possible competition whit Daytona, Panerai ecc...!

PP, AP and VC are the best, absilutely.

But in the replica world, in my opinion there are very good reps of Rolex and Panerai in MBW, Trusty and so on, but i have not seen an identical hig quality in reps of Nautilus (and of AP).

Why?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno what to think? On the one hand... I like it, but on the other, I don't?

173833-8966.jpg

Almost so ugly it's lovely. For some reason this one has been growing on me. But I still think prefer the Royal Oak.

Mr Ubiquitous, I search from time a Nautilus that has normal markers, not roman, as the watch in your photo, but this rep is to day offline, I think: the sellers of RWG have not this. Why? Have you an indication of a seller that has it? Whatchmaster, a seller indicated me to a friend of RWG is disparued........

Thanks

I think it's entirely the product of the 70s designs that led to the mechanical watch industry almost becoming extinct.

It wasn't the designs but that damn vibrating quartz crystal!

Lots of things are retro and nostalga for old styles seems to be a part of every generations aging but, I have to tell you, as a kid who grew up in the 1970's, the styling that gave us the leisure suit, almond colored kitchen countertops and appliances, and disco music can stay dead for all I care.

I would never turn down a micro-rotor Patek automatic if someone gave it to me but if I had to make out a PP wish list, this one would be at the bottom of the list. Space age styling manifesting itself in TV screen shaped watch dials never appealed to me.

• 1 month later...

The "IIII" for 4 o'clock goes back centuries when "clocks" used it. Look up ancient clocks and you'll see it. Copying it is more or less their way of honoring the past achievements of those who came before. Call it a historic use of what was a standard.

BTW, I have had my Patek Nautilus for 17 years and it have never missed a beat on accuracy. Some of you can call it ugly, but, others won't agree. Of all the watches I have, I receive more compliments on that Nautilus than any other. Most people who see it have no clue as to what it is, and that's fine by me. I enjoy the simplicity of it. Some people like the huge chronograph watches and they buy up the replica chronos with the A7750 movement left and right, but, I want to see those A7750 watches running in 17 years. Actually, I'd be shocked if they ran, and WORKED, as designed. As one reputable dealer said to me not too long ago, "They're junk, stay away from them." And, I have. Not that the Patek is a chrono, it isn't, but, I'd rather deal with quality over the new rage of big and bulky.

4 o'clock.... ????? :blink:

Not on this list, but, I've been questioning the same thing for years. I suppose someone may take off on me over this, but, as far as I'm concerned it bulk verses elegance. Bigger is better, but, it's not.

I think that Nautilus is the finest sport watch of the swiss Maisons, but also AP and Overseas are very very good, not possible competition whit Daytona, Panerai ecc...! PP, AP and VC are the best, absilutely. But in the replica world, in my opinion there are very good reps of Rolex and Panerai in MBW, Trusty and so on, but i have not seen an identical hig quality in reps of Nautilus (and of AP).

Why?

I still have my Nauti; a wonderful gift from Sir Omni, which I will treasure always :wub:

Speaking of the PP Nautilus; I was at Borders the other night browsing books and noticed that the most recent issue of Watchtime has a feature on the Nautilus with the new 44mm 5980 gracing the cover. The more and more I look at the Nautilus design, the more and more I love it :wub:

Classic elegance IMO. They could do something that might draw others in. The middle polished link could be flattened and have a brush finish like the rest of the watch. Might be a nice touch, but, then again, might not.

I still have my Nauti; a wonderful gift from Sir Omni, which I will treasure always :wub:

Speaking of the PP Nautilus; I was at Borders the other night browsing books and noticed that the most recent issue of Watchtime has a feature on the Nautilus with the new 44mm 5980 gracing the cover. The more and more I look at the Nautilus design, the more and more I love it :wub:

I'm afraid that no amount of alcohol or cocaine could make this look pretty.......it's the ungainliest looking watch ever.......it looks as tho' it sprung from the house of Limit or Accurist.......brrrrrrrrrhhhh.......!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with Neil. I have always, always hated the Nauti - and I'm a Patek-guy for crying out loud!

But that's what's so great about personal style and diversity of tastes; I can't stand Baz Luhrmann's movies or the new VW bug, but I'm happy I live in a world where that kind of artistic expression and unique aesthetic is encouraged.

So, for those who love the Nauti; good on ya!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with Neil. I have always, always hated the Nauti - and I'm a Patek-guy for crying out loud!

But that's what's so great about personal style and diversity of tastes; I can't stand Baz Luhrmann's movies or the new VW bug, but I'm happy I live in a world where that kind of artistic expression and unique aesthetic is encouraged.

So, for those who love the Nauti; good on ya!

I guess that's like PAM XXX watches. Fugly thru and thru. And the Rolex (any of them) is right there with the PAM XXX (any of them).

Well, no harm intended there, it's just what anyone likes. Whatever it takes to get you thru the night is fine by me. Tim

• 2 months later...
I broke down and ordered the MBW Jumbo Nautilus from Paso.

I told myself I would wait, but I couldn't hold out any longer.

I'm going to post pics+review upon receipt.

You'll love it. Here's a reminder, again, for you! I've enjoyed mine very much. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Tim

post-4958-1179372810_thumb.jpg

I think its a beautiful design. Classic, yet modern. Just imagine a beefed up version of this. A bit like the offshore version of the royal oak. It would br super seller, and a fantastic watch.

To bad its too slim for my taste. It kinda lacks presence being so flat.