When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pp Nautilus... Lovley, Or Ugly?

ubiquitous

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heehee... Well, the image is not mine, per se... Rather, it's a borrowed picture that I found at random.

If I had only seen this watch in pictures, I'd continue on thinking it to be one nasty, ugly looking watch. But having seen one in person... Well, it's hard not to find intrigue in a piece that is so extremely well finished with meticulous detail.

I will buy the 1977 version one day :) but I must admit that this is a watch stuck in the very late 60s-early 80s timeframe when it comes to "style" :(

Only the micro-rotor :wub: is nice on the 2006 version :yuk: the dial is pitiful

I know it's a Patek and any watch connoisseur who would see it on someone's wrist would be very impressed blah, blah blah....but to me it looks like a cheesy 70s Bulova or Citizen.

I 'could' consider the rep as it's probably one that can be close to gen.

But if i had won the lotery and was to ring at that bullet proof dor at PP boutique, that would be the very last thing i would like to get out with ...

for me pp is about classical haute horlogerie dressy watch preferably with complication.

I think by the way that VC did much better with the overseas in trying to put a sports watch in it's line ..

He said PP boutique :Jumpy:

Yep forgive me, it has a more luxury sounding in french then any english word i could come up with (like shop).

The "shop" i was dreaming about is "place vendome" in paris between cartier, boucheron, van cleef and the ritz hotel ...

I even feel bad a staring at the window there, like if just looking was going to cost me 1k$

The best thing this watch has going for it is the Patek name. Otherwise you wouldn't look at it a second time.

I examined the Nautilus at an AD that had surprisingly few watches (by rep or advertising I expected them to have a great selection) and the finish was high quality. But I wonder how many people would even look at this watch if it didn't have the PP name. Compare that to many of today's Omegas or IWCs or other top lines where the watches would still look awesome, no matter what brand name it carried.