When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD V5.9 Swiss ETA 2836-2 from Trevor Time

plaifender

OK..but the 225 is supposed to be the better then the 338?

Honestly, I have always liked this watch better than the noobfactory version, so I am biased. If you ask me then Yes .. it's better. There are an army of Noobfactory fanboys as well, who would tell you I'm wrong.

Understand that BK sells an improved version of the Noobfactory DSSD with his own mods, so that watch would be comparing apples and oranges ...

I think the biggest tell for me on this version is the way the endlinks aren't proud of the lugs like they should be. The Crownguards don't bother me that much.

While i've really spent more than enough on DSSD's (3 models and Ziggifying) I REALLY want those thin hour markers. They are what stops the Ult from being as perfect as a rep can be.

Can anyone tell me if this vers is still using thin spring bars like the V5 or Rlx style thicker ones like the Ult?

Cheers!

OK..but the 225 is supposed to be the better then the 338?

no one can definitively answer that question for you. Take 20 minutes and read this entire thread.. then make an opinion. :)

BTW the $225 version that trevor has an Asian clone movement. The version I reviewed in this link is the $250 Trevor version with Swiss ETA 2836 (confirmed swiss) :)

therefore in my opinion the "BEST" version that trevor offers is the $250 version ;)

Trevor has a better dial and Noobfactory has better insert thickness and pearl finishing.

You can't just say one's definitively better. Sorry concepta .. I guess you could say they are equal in their slight imperfections.

I think the Trevor watch is a better choice because you can shave the bottom of the insert and finish the pearl .. you can't shave the hour markers on a noob dial.

BTW the $225 version that trevor has an Asian clone movement. The version I reviewed in this link is the $250 Trevor version with Swiss ETA 2836 (confirmed swiss) :)

therefore in my opinion the "BEST" version that trevor offers is the $250 version ;)

Thank you for reminding ... I had missed that he was looking at the clone eta watch.

Always check for yourself. Even if a watch is supposed to be waterproof, there could be a bad gasket and then it leaks. Always check!

This can be tricky on the DSSD reps. Some have a HEV that can be pressed inward, suggesting that it may opperate in the opposite direction as it should. There is a thread in this section that discusses how you should be cautious even if the watch passes a standard pressure test. Read HERE.

My preferred method of water testing a watch that has a screw down crown is to remove the case back, remove the crown/stem, remove the movement, and seal it back up by replacing the case back and screwing the crown back on. With the movement removed, if it leaks, no harm done. I start the water test by dunking it in a bowl of water. If it doesn't leak, I'll head to the pool and swim to the bottom and check for leaks. Since I don't dive, but I swim a lot and snorkel a little, this test is good enough for me.

Once I'm done testing (and hopefully it passes), I reinstall the movement, make sure I have good gasket grease on all rubber, and button it up for good.

As soon as I receive the case back opener I ordered, I plan to do this with my noob DSSD which has the depress-able HEV. I also plan to press the HEV to see if it lets water in. If it does, I'll do the epoxy seal job, but if it doesn't, I'll leave it alone.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Can't wait for the vs comparison when concepta has both :-D

There was a post on the 11th comparing a Gen DSSD to the Trevor DSSD. You can see how close it is in the beautiful DSLR photos the member posted ..

And again, the Noobfactory/BK/Cartel model only has small problems .. and the Trevor watch only has small problems. Nothing to start an argument over :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've seen the vs gen thread it's a good thread with great pics and narrative. Who's arguing? Lol jayk u don't seem to like me? What's wrong with being excited to see both versions side by side so we can all choose what's best on what model and perhaps give some feedback to the factories to get a near perfect rep.

Anyone contacted Trevor lately?

Concepta, yes, the $225 clone ETA model. Thats the one that is being compared and discussed, not the more expensive one on his site, that is the noob version. I'm thinking this is the way to go, i've emailed trevor regarding availability about 4 hours ago.

Those side by side gen/trevor DSSD pics were very impressive. I could spot the rep, sure, but I could've done that with any DSSD rep out right now. Mainly the crown and CG finish is what set it apart for me. Very impressed. The noob version is really overpriced IMO, costing more than 7750 powered reps due to the demand/hype.

Jake,

I know I said I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I should have said I wasn't going to post about the topic we were discussing.

I just wanted to comment on your watch. I'm glad you got a good one. It looks very nice and your pearl mod looks great too. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Our previous conversation has got me contemplating getting one of Trevor's to do a compare with BK's. I'd really like to see the differences side by side.

Anyway, enjoy your new toy.

-Mike

Mike - Your are all right in my book. I enjoy passionate spirited debates, but I enjoy a gracious man who realizes that this is all just for fun even more. You Sir, are some one I am sure I could share a beer with as you are both passionate and gracious.

Thank you for the complement on the pearl. It actually turned out much better than the picture shows, but...

You guys got me looking really close and truthfully, I didn't take note of the "Flat top" triangle marker that comes on Trevors' watch until I received it. I have a source who can get me the latest replacement bezel insert and I have been thinking...

The curse of trying to make it "Perfect" can be a bummer at times. Maybe I should just let it go...

I will try and get some Gen vs Rep pictures up, but truthfully parga did a great job in his thread.

Thanks for being so gracious Mike.

Edited by jake48

You Sir, are some one I am sure I could share a beer with as you are both passionate and gracious.

Right back atchya!

The curse of trying to make it "Perfect" can be a bummer at times. Maybe I should just let it go...

Tell me about it. One of the reasons I've been away for awhile is that I spent months and WAAAAY too much money trying to make the perfect PAM 111h. The closer I got to perfection, the more the remaining flaws were magnified in my mind. Funny thing is, you get frustrated, put it away for months, then one day, you pull it out and say "DAMN...That's a nice watch, why am I not wearing this?"

I will try and get some Gen vs Rep pictures up, but truthfully parga did a great job in his thread.

Please do...or ask parga to repost his pics.

Thanks,

-Mike

The more pics the merrier. Yours looks great, congrats!

Enough with the sidebar touchy feel stuff though eh guys? Lets focus on the DSSD at hand. You fellas can take it to PM's for a date. :winkiss:

Jake, as far as bezel replacement source... How much, and whats your initial thought on fitment? Are Trevors inserts held on by double sided tape like most rep bezels?

I've gone back and forth with Trevor this past week with different pictures until I felt comfortable with one of them. It just cleared customs so I am very curious how things will turn out. According to him, the $225 model I just purchased is water resistant though I probably wouldn't wear it any deeper than a pool.

Anyone contacted Trevor lately?

Concepta, yes, the $225 clone ETA model. Thats the one that is being compared and discussed, not the more expensive one on his site, that is the noob version. I'm thinking this is the way to go, i've emailed trevor regarding availability about 4 hours ago.

Those side by side gen/trevor DSSD pics were very impressive. I could spot the rep, sure, but I could've done that with any DSSD rep out right now. Mainly the crown and CG finish is what set it apart for me. Very impressed. The noob version is really overpriced IMO, costing more than 7750 powered reps due to the demand/hype.

Enough with the sidebar touchy feel stuff though eh guys? Lets focus on the DSSD at hand. You fellas can take it to PM's for a date. :winkiss:

LOL...Point taken. No more Love fest...

Jake, as far as bezel replacement source... How much, and whats your initial thought on fitment? Are Trevors inserts held on by double sided tape like most rep bezels?

+1

I'd like to see this too. I may play with the pearl on my bezel, but before I start, I would like to know I can get a replacement in case I screw the insert up.

LOL...Point taken. No more Love fest...

+1

I'd like to see this too. I may play with the pearl on my bezel, but before I start, I would like to know I can get a replacement in case I screw the insert up.

bezel insert on BK's watch should be easy to source as it is the standard "cartel" bezel that josh, andrew and the lot carry,.. Not sure if Trevor has his bezels available, but a simple email to him would do the trick :)

As far as I know.. trevor is the only dealer that has this specific watch with serial number M660304 (maybe an expert can confirm that though)which is the 2010 V5 that came out a few months ago (as i understand it)... Jkay can correct me if I'm wrong, he's def the dssd expert on this thread.

I've gone back and forth with Trevor this past week with different pictures until I felt comfortable with one of them. It just cleared customs so I am very curious how things will turn out. According to him, the $225 model I just purchased is water resistant though I probably wouldn't wear it any deeper than a pool.

My divers, like my sub, PO, SFSO, I feel should be able to handle some diving into, and swimming in the pool, and as such are waterproof. No one wears a dive watch here in FL where we are surrounded by water, and takes it off before getting wet! So, this is somewhat of an important feature. Anyone that has a watch waterproof to 13,000 feet and takes it off to swim is a poser, or wearing a rep, or both. :lol:

Please post some pics up when you get it. Good luck and may the rep Gods smile down on you with a perfect example.

My divers, like my sub, PO, SFSO, I feel should be able to handle some diving into, and swimming in the pool, and as such are waterproof. No one wears a dive watch here in FL where we are surrounded by water, and takes it off before getting wet! So, this is somewhat of an important feature. Anyone that has a watch waterproof to 13,000 feet and takes it off to swim is a poser, or wearing a rep, or both. :lol:

Please post some pics up when you get it. Good luck and may the rep Gods smile down on you with a perfect example.

Anyone that takes a $10,000 watch before taking a dip in the ocean, pool, lake or swamp.. is smart for not risking [censored] up their investment ;) one loose screw.. and it's bye bye DSSD.. hello ocean depths (rep gen or franken.. [censored] happens ;). As long as your smart and careful, (and tactful) i don't think you're a poser at all for taking a watch off before getting into water. I do it all the time. The only watch I wear in water is my G-shock.. and that would survive the apocalypse, WW3 and atomic fallout at the same time..:

hehehehe ;)

IMG_1541.jpg

Anyone that takes a $10,000 watch before taking a dip in the ocean, pool, lake or swamp.. is smart for not risking [censored] up their investment ;) one loose screw.. and it's bye bye DSSD.. hello ocean depths (rep gen or franken.. [censored] happens ;). As long as your smart and careful, (and tactful) i don't think you're a poser at all for taking a watch off before getting into water. I do it all the time. The only watch I wear in water is my G-shock.. and that would survive the apocalypse, WW3 and atomic fallout at the same time..:

hehehehe ;)

IMG_1541.jpg

I respectfully disagree. You don't buy $8K worth of scuba gear and never go diving, why buy $8K worth of diving watch and never get it wet? No screws should be loose on the "M1A1 Abrams tank of tool watches", but I do understand your rationale. If someone spends $8K on a watch, the can do whatever they well please with it, including walk around the desert 1000 miles from water if they so choose. I want my DSSD rep to be waterproof though, just saying. :pardon:

I agree about the G-shock, even if you threw in a tsunami with all of that, your still good to go.

p.s P4GTR... any specific reason why your avatar is upside down??

It symbolism, inspired by the ProII that came with my Skyland. It kind've sums up this whole hobby for me with one picture.

SDC12771.jpg

I like your sectional and coffee table with the wood floors btw. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Right back atchya!

Tell me about it. One of the reasons I've been away for awhile is that I spent months and WAAAAY too much money trying to make the perfect PAM 111h. The closer I got to perfection, the more the remaining flaws were magnified in my mind. Funny thing is, you get frustrated, put it away for months, then one day, you pull it out and say "DAMN...That's a nice watch, why am I not wearing this?"

Please do...or ask parga to repost his pics.

Thanks,

-Mike

Oh man... My first quest for the "Perfect" piece was a TT Submariner (Yes I succeeded) My second quest for the "Perfect" piece was a 111H! You would not believe how much money I put into that thing (The Zigmeister lume/cannon pin fix, Jimmy Fu crown guard, Palp crown, Davidsen dial, Mario Paci PAV strap) and it is still one mod short (Dagger regulator not needle) - I gave up and gave it to my daughter...

Anyways, despite it all, it sure has been a blast and it beats putting dollars down a girls.... well you know what I mean ;)

The more pics the merrier. Yours looks great, congrats!

Ha! Knew that would be coming!

I have not removed the insert yet, but aside from WM9, I have yet to find a Rep Rolex insert that wasn't affixed with double sided tape. In Lani's comparison thread he mentioned replacing the insert in his Noob DSSD. He felt he replacement insert sat a little high and mentioned he was going to use sand paper to take it down a little. I use a very fine file to do mine. I can tell you for sure that you should resist the urge to speed the process up with a dremel - it almost allows ends up in disaster as these bezel inserts are just coated soft aluminum.

I get my parts from one of the "Cartel" guys and most often for free. I guess it is the benefit of spending lots of $$$$$ and referring lots of customers over the years...

Edited by jake48