When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD V5.9 Swiss ETA 2836-2 from Trevor Time

plaifender

I could swear I've seen members here break theirs accidentally while replacing all those bad |10 | inserts .. so yeah .. I would have to say that the DSSD reps we buy have ceramic bezels.

Mine certainly felt ceramic when I had it in my hands.

I've spent days shaving one down, that mother was definitely not aluminium and certainly not soft!

Bezel is 100% ceramic.. and very brittle. Be very careful!

Good to know. As I said, I have not removed one of the DSSD "Cermaic" bezels. All of the "Ceramic" Rep bezels I have removed in the past have been coated aluminum. I would be curious to know if any of the bezels are really ceramic, as the Rep manufactures are sure creative when it comes to making their copies. Has someone actually broke one in half to see what the bezel is made of? If it is truly ceramic I would use sandpaper (or emery cloth) like Lani said and not a file, that's for sure. I file will crack ceramic no doubt.

Good to know. As I said, I have not removed one of the DSSD "Cermaic" bezels. All of the "Ceramic" Rep bezels I have removed in the past have been coated aluminum. I would be curious to know if any of the bezels are really ceramic, as the Rep manufactures are sure creative when it comes to making their copies. Has someone actually broke one in half to see what the bezel is made of? If it is truly ceramic I would use sandpaper (or emery cloth) like Lani said and not a file, that's for sure. I file will crack ceramic no doubt.

Can't remember specifically who..but i remember having seen several cracked bezels on here. What "coated" aluminum ceramic bezels have you found? As far as I'm concerned the only ceramic bezel watches available are the DSSD, Hublot Big Bangs, and the new submariner. Then there's quite a few ceramic case watches (some hbb models, Top Gun and Chanel J12 watches mainly)

I don't think the genuineness of ceramic materials on our watch has ever been an issue.. At least not on this forum...

Which ceramic coated aluminum bezels have you removed???

p.s. I feel like Lanikai has snapped a ceramic bezel or two but I can't be sure.. :(

Can't remember specifically who..but i remember having seen several cracked bezels on here. What "coated" aluminum ceramic bezels have you found? As far as I'm concerned the only ceramic bezel watches available are the DSSD, Hublot Big Bangs, and the new submariner. Then there's quite a few ceramic case watches (some hbb models, Top Gun and Chanel J12 watches mainly)

I don't think the genuineness of ceramic materials on our watch has ever been an issue.. At least not on this forum...

p.s. I feel like Lanikai has snapped a ceramic bezel or two but I can't be sure.. :(

Funny this topic comes up today, because I was looking for info on crystal removal and found this HERE.

Gio shows a cross section of a broken bezel insert that is full ceramic.

All that glitters isn't gold my friend...

When the first run of new (And several of the subsequent updated runs) case 50th Rolex "Ceramic" GMT II's first came out all of the "Ceramic" bezels were just coated aluminum. They didn't crack, but they sure did scratch real easy. Like I said, truthfully, I don't really trust a one of the rep dealers - when the first "Ceramic" insert Roliies first came out and the Rep dealers were questioned as to the authenticity of their alleged "Ceramic" inserts, they all said - "I think so, but I am not sure" In the Rep world I have found that this usually translates into "Probably not"

I have not been keeping track for a while and I have not done a search, but I find it interesting that when I asked if anyone cracked one of these "Ceramic" bezels in half to see what it is really made of (First hand experience)- so far all the posts have been from people posting "I know of" or 'I heard of" - no first hand experiences. Certainly I do not know for sure and given the speed at which things develop in the Rep world I have every reason to believe they could be ceramic, I still go with the "Seeing is believing" principal...

Funny this topic comes up today, because I was looking for info on crystal removal and found this HERE.

Gio shows a cross section of a broken bezel insert that is full ceramic.

OK - cool find! Makes me a believer! Glad I didn't take a file to my "Ceramic" bezel... Hahahahahaha

Sorry I am such a pessimist, but in the Rep world it has served me well. Of the several hundred deals I have done with sellers, I can say I have really only been burned once. Bound to happen, but being a doubting Thomas has it's benefits - and curses too!

Oh yeah, as far as crystal removal goes, if it is for a rollie, PM Bk, he wil help you. If it is for anything else you can PM Chieftang or Vac, both have removed a few...

For me, I have found that most crystals are removed the easiest by removing the movement and applying equal pressure with both thumbs to the back side of the crystal through the open case over a soft cloth to catch the crystal. Most will pop out real easy. If it isn't coming out that easy, don't keep pressing harder! You can shatter the crystal for sure if it is stuck or tilted sideways a little and binding. I have had some luck starting the removal by using a very thin case knife or a box cutter type blade and wedging it ever so slightly between the case and crystal, going back and fourth 180 degrees apart and lightly lifting the crystal from the case, then using my thumbs to finish pressing the crystal out once it is loosened. Good luck...

Edited by jake48

All that glitters isn't gold my friend...

When the first run of new (And several of the subsequent updated runs) case 50th Rolex "Ceramic" GMT II's first came out all of the "Ceramic" bezels were just coated aluminum. They didn't crack, but they sure did scratch real easy. Like I said, truthfully, I don't really trust a one of the rep dealers - when the first "Ceramic" insert Roliies first came out and the Rep dealers were questioned as to the authenticity of their alleged "Ceramic" inserts, they all said - "I think so, but I am not sure" In the Rep world I have found that this usually translates into "Probably not"

I have not been keeping track for a while and I have not done a search, but I find it interesting that when I asked if anyone cracked one of these "Ceramic" bezels in half to see what it is really made of (First hand experience)- so far all the posts have been from people posting "I know of" or 'I heard of" - no first hand experiences. Certainly I do not know for sure and given the speed at which things develop in the Rep world I have every reason to believe they could be ceramic, I still go with the "Seeing is believing" principal...

Jake,

Look at my post just above yours. There is a link to a post by gioarmani that shows various pictures of destroyed DSSD parts. The last image one shows a broken end of a full ceramic insert.

I'm looking at a Submariner on Trevor's site. When the watch is received how can I tell if I've received a Swiss ETA 2836 movement and anot a cheaper version.

Any thoughts on his Submariners

Open the back of the watch and look to see if it's ETA or not.... If you can't tell.. open the back, take a picture and post it up on here.

I'm not a submariner expert, but the new ceramic bezel subs look nice :).

I'm looking at a Submariner on Trevor's site. When the watch is received how can I tell if I've received a Swiss ETA 2836 movement and anot a cheaper version.

Any thoughts on his Submariners

There is only 1 thing to say about the current state of Submariner replicas. If you want to spend $200 or less, get a NoobMariner. If you want to spend $600 or more, get the WM9/BK Submariner.

That is all.

There is only 1 thing to say about the current state of Submariner replicas. If you want to spend $200 or less, get a NoobMariner. If you want to spend $600 or more, get the WM9/BK Submariner.

That is all.

+1. Theres really only two choices. At least it's become more simplified than it used to be.

Nice review - great help for a Rolex Noob :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I actually bought me an "ultimate" version DSSD from a fellow member:

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/121579-sold-fs-vac-lumed-ultimate-dssd-with-swiss-eta/page__p__875538__fromsearch__1#entry875538

The watch is great, the movement so precise and gentle...

Could anyone tell from the pics, which version it (basically) was ?

I also have problems with the bracelet though. It does not show any stamps at the link adjacent to the end link, as it is shown here on the foto of the V5 bracelet. Also the Rolex engraving (stamping) inside the clasp is 50% black and the other half is more or less disappeared.

My question: Is the bracelet with stamping correct as per gen. or without ?

I need a new bracelet anyway - any tipp where to source a good one ?

Have already asked Josh, he declined to supply, as he would not sell spares...:wounded1:

Pressumably I haven

Is this the same watch as Trevor's ?

http://www.watcheden...-28030-p-1.html

It certainly looks very close but the picture in WE's catalog shows terrible SELs .. they look almost squished .. and a gap between the insert and the bezel. You can see the glue down in there, the gap is so large.

I can't know if this is just a very bad example of a Trevor-type (2010 v5) watch or just a bad version of a DSSD rep.

I actually bought me an "ultimate" version DSSD from a fellow member:

Could anyone tell from the pics, which version it (basically) was ?

Looking at the watch, it seems to be a Cartel standard Ultimate v3 with Josh-supplied corrective bezel insert. That's a nice dial on it, tho .. the hour markers don't appear to be too fat at all. The pearl bothers me, since Cartel DSSDs have rounded pearls, but this one is flat. The fact that it's a replacement insert might explain that tho.

I'm going to go with NoobFactory Ultimate v3, with corrective bezel insert.

i agree with jkay. It's definitely not a trevor watch.. The key for me is the OGEV engraving. WatchEden's engraving is thin like V3/V5(2009). Trevor's 2010V5 is just a TAD bit bolder. I think Trevor's engraving is technically a flaw.. but i think most people agree that it looks damn good though :)

Looking at the watch, it seems to be a Cartel standard Ultimate v3 with Josh-supplied corrective bezel insert. That's a nice dial on it, tho .. the hour markers don't appear to be too fat at all. The pearl bothers me, since Cartel DSSDs have rounded pearls, but this one is flat. The fact that it's a replacement insert might explain that tho.

I'm going to go with NoobFactory Ultimate v3, with corrective bezel insert.

Thanks for the help !

I do agree with your findings.

I have checked varous sources for a spare bracelet meanwhile.

Mary offers one for the Asian clone version:

http://www.watcheden...-56542-p-1.html

Obviously it does not show number stamps on the end links and it is quoted to be for a Asian clone drive version.

Would you think it will fit to my watch?

Is the number stamp at the end link as per gen ?

Thx for helping !

• 2 weeks later...

Since this was the thread that moved me to purchase the Ultimate DSSD from Trevor (asian movement) I figured this would be the best place to post an update. I received the watch about two weeks ago and really loved the look and feel. I was very hesitant at first in purchasing a replica watch. In better times, before our economy and my business fell apart, I owned quite a little watch collection. Unfortunately I am in no position to spend $8000 on a watch right now. As a result I made the plunge and for the last two weeks have been pretty impressed and how many compliments I received about the watch.

Today that all changed when I woke up and found the watch had stopped for the first time in two weeks. With other automatics I've had I could just move the watch a bit and it would come back to life. That didn't work, so I gently wound it and that failed to wake the movement as well. Now I have an incredibley heavy paperweight of a wristwatch that is only correct twice a day. I did reach out to Trevor but have not heard back yet and to be honest the idea of potentially returning this one and waiting a month for another just sickens me. I think in the future I will just save my money for the real deal again and avoid the headache altogether. I wish I had my $225 back...

Thanks for the help !

I do agree with your findings.

I have checked varous sources for a spare bracelet meanwhile.

Mary offers one for the Asian clone version:

http://www.watcheden...-56542-p-1.html

Obviously it does not show number stamps on the end links and it is quoted to be for a Asian clone drive version.

Would you think it will fit to my watch?

Is the number stamp at the end link as per gen ?

Thx for helping !

I do understand very well your notion.

Many of us here had such a or a similar problems.

However, from the about 40 watches I purchsed from dealers or members all over the world I had about 5 with major problems, further about 10 with minor issues and the rest was just fine.

There is no real working guarantee with the dealers, even the most rliable ones will never give you back money or make a buck minus on a deal with you. It is not like in the real world here. You must know that, accpet it or refrain. Simply as that. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Since this was the thread that moved me to purchase the Ultimate DSSD from Trevor (asian movement)

Asian ETA clone ... could just need a simple cleaning. I'd spring for the cost of an inspection and service to set this little baby right without a second thought. Worst case is your watchsmith drops in a new $40 movement and away you go. I'm going to PM you some info. Look for it.

• 5 months later...