When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Score!

Nanuq

I picked up a real nice gen 9315 band this morning for a mere $355. :o

Granted, it has someone else's initials engraved on the clasp, but that's easy enough to fix. The good news is the date stamp matches my old tired stretched band exactly. :tu:

SCORE!!!!!!!

watchband1.jpg

watchband3.jpg

watchband8.jpg

watchband7.jpg

watchband5.jpg

I just send mine to M. Young to have it unstretched. But it will take 8-10 weeks...

Will post pics.

Please do! I'd like to have my original "unstretched" but I'm afraid it can't be done, my links are worn most of the way through at the bends and are very fragile.

Redwatch, sorry but once bent forever bent. My original had 3 links replaced by its previous owner back when links were readily available. The repairman is a Rolex factory trained watchmaker and even the ones he put in have the little bend. I've learned to like the look. :tu:

Ubi, you are too generous! Unbelievable that you'd do that for me. Thank you.

:tu:

So when one resizes these things, is there any way to resize it without messing up the mid-link?

I understand there is a tool (cue soft mysterious music). Only the true WIS cognescenti are allowed to discuss its existence. We mere mortals are left to muse.

It has been whispered that the use of this elusive tool (should it exist) will indeed replace folded mid links, without "the bend". :unsure:

Nobody has ever seen this tool; we are left with but rumors. I personally believe that Rolex mines the folded links in situ in the perfectly curved form, no bending required. That's the simplest explanation.

And now this message must be destroyed lest it fall into nefarious hands. It was once read by a member here known as Klink, and ............

........he was never seen again.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :ph34r:

Rolex has a special tool/jig for opening/closing riveted/folded links that was fairly ubiquitous among professional watchmakers until the late 70s. These days, I believe only some RSCs have them. For us mere mortals, your only real options for riveted links are to grind the rivets off, remove/add links & replace the rivets (good luck finding replacements though), or unbending 2 links with a pair of screwdrivers (or whatever works for you), adding/removing a link & rebending them back. This latter option nearly always, in my experience, results in the bent links' outer skin being left somewhat dimpled or mangled.

For folded links, the latter option is the only option.

Wow, that's a GREAT pictorial. I'd sure like to see a video of exactly how he got those smooth curves when he folded them down.

Maybe the reverse curves / dimples only happen as we open up the links and then reclose them?

If I could get my hands on a dozen or so of those factory folded middle pieces, still open and not yet bent down ... yowza! I think it could be done! I've experimented with thick layers of soft leather on work surfaces as I attempt to bend/fold steel, and you can distribute the pressure that way so the finished surface doesn't get deformed.

Wow, that's a GREAT pictorial. I'd sure like to see a video of exactly how he got those smooth curves when he folded them down.

He replaced those links with NOS links. That is why the outer skins of the replaced links are not dimpled.

Maybe the reverse curves / dimples only happen as we open up the links and then reclose them?

Correct.

If I could get my hands on a dozen or so of those factory folded middle pieces, still open and not yet bent down ... yowza! I think it could be done! I've experimented with thick layers of soft leather on work surfaces as I attempt to bend/fold steel, and you can distribute the pressure that way so the finished surface doesn't get deformed.

It is relatively easy to replace the links without damage as long as you have access to a set of NOS replacements. Unfortunately, it has been several years since I last saw a set for sale. Though, I am sure they are out there (even if they are Asian-made :whistling: ).

Freddy do you know what sort of steel would have been used for the NOS links? I wonder how difficult it would be to have some made up? I have one spare folded link (with a really nasty dimple in it) that I would gladly donate to flatten and determine the dimensions. It can't be that hard to make a new mid link. Do you happen to have a picture of a NOS mid link that I could use for a reference?

Freddy do you know what sort of steel would have been used for the NOS links? I wonder how difficult it would be to have some made up? I have one spare folded link (with a really nasty dimple in it) that I would gladly donate to flatten and determine the dimensions. It can't be that hard to make a new mid link. Do you happen to have a picture of a NOS mid link that I could use for a reference?

Folded/riveted links are not listed (as separate items) in any of my parts books, but I do not have any vintage parts lists. I have also never seen any official descriptions of the type of steel used for these links, though I would guess it is the same steel that was used for vintage cases (316L).

As far as Nanuq's DRSD bracelet goes, I think the only option (to tighten it up) is link replacement. Some of the links, as Nanuq observed, are clearly missing some metal

Image1-32.jpg