When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tips for trip to NY

LeGambleur

Hi,

Me and my GF are going to New York for 8 nights on september 25th. Since RWG is the ultimate guide to everything i thought i shpuld ask you all for tips on how to make the most of our stay.

Hit me with all your best tips on hotels, shopping, what to do, what to see and so on...

(I

1. Take a walk on The Highline Park located in the packing/warehouse district.

www.thehighline.org

Manhattan

New York, 10011

(212) 463-9669

2. New Yorker's LOVE thier cupcakes. Try, Sugar Sweet Sunshine

126 Rivington St.; 212-995-1960

Specializing in

You gotta stop by Lombardi's Pizza on Spring Street... After I get outta JFK that's the first place I go to.

A nice afternoon/evening stroll on the Brooklyn Bridge is also a good way to spend an hour. If you're into steaks Peter Luger's in Brooklyn is also a must have. :drinks:

If you give us a hint as to what you and your girlfriend like to do I may be able to be helpful. As for horological vices I suggest what I call the 1.5 hour watch tour (but I suggest you wear a gen). In an hour and a half you can cover quite a bit. Within 2-3 blocks of each other are boutiques for Panerai, FM, AP, Montblanc, Jacob (if so inclined), and one of the grande dame watch stores of all time - Wempe. Tourneau and Cellini are in the same area. Turn in the other direction and six blocks up are Breguet,Chopard, FP Journe, etc. Head South for a few blocks and you can hit 47th Street which is a whole other kettle of fish but carries all the higher end folks in various shops and sizes in addition to the regular stuff. Everything from Uhrwerk, Ulysses Nardin, etc.

I spent a week in Manhattan a couple of years ago and i had some great homemade burgers at diners, one i remember called cosmos on 2nd av and 34th i think. And get a hot dog from a street vendor, then go for a sandwich in that delli where Meg Ryan had the orgasm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4776794684162861091#

Was not a fan of pastrami but it was the tourist thing to do.

Found some good bars down the meat packing district (that sounds so gay) and the John street bar and grill was a favorite but the owner then (my host) has since left the area.

Another +1 for Lugers and Carnegie Deli. Though if you go to Lugers bring cash. They don't take credit cards. Just letting you know so you don't have to wash dishes...

Also, I don't know where you are staying but for some cool hotel experiences that are first class and a break from the ever stodgy Plaza, Carlisle, Waldorf, etc. try The Hudson or 60 Thompson. The Mandarin is always great and not all agree with me but I have had only one bad experience with a W and that was in Lauderdale. NYC, Westwood, Dallas, etc. have all treated us well. In NYC I prefer the Lexington and Union Square hotels to Times Square. Then again there isn't much about Times Square that appeals to me.

Stay at the nicest hotel you can possibly afford. Hotels you typically stay at elsewhere that are "fine" are sometimes not so fine in NYC. You get what you pay for and unfortunately in NYC what you pay for always costs more than anywhere else. You kind of have to bite the bullet and go by what you know and not by price. Just my .02...

I'm from Ozone park Queens, so the best ravioli is from there. But in the city, I like Porterhouse for steak, Le Bernardin for seafood, and Papaya King is a fun place to get good hotdogs. The W on Lexington does a nice job. have fun. You can catch the tail end of the San Gennaro festival in little Italy too.

For a good inexpensive and fresh chinese meal try any of the Ollis locations ,,,here's one, there are others midtown

2957 Broadway

New York, NY 10025-7802

(212) 932-3300

For the greatest burgers (7 oz),,look up any of the Jacskson Hole burger joints.

If you care to venture north (Harlem) yes harlem,,try Dinosaur BBQ,,just make sure you can catch a cab back downtown

OOn 9th avenue,is a place called Old SanJan...great Puerto Rican food,,stick to your ribs. If you havent made reservations, I usually stay in Weehawken and take the ferry over. Better views of NY from NJ than from the window of the hotel with buildings all around you

I went to New York for the very first time earlier this month. It was a very exciting trip! :)

It is a gorgeous city. Previously, I have only been in Houston on business. New York is a totally different experience, much more European.

I was thinking of posting a "Watchers guide to NYC, but as this post came up, I can post my pictures here.

I bought a genuine Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph before I arrived NYC, and had it shipped to the hotel (gen vs. rep. review to come..) It was the watch I wore for the most time there..

It is a great spot for watch spotters. Fifth Avenue is heavily Rolex-loaded.. The Rolex headquarter is located there.

Rolex1.jpg

"Top of the rock" The Rockefeller centre, is a must. The best view of Manhattan. Empire State Building straight ahead, Statue of Liberty far away on the right.

DSC_7281.jpg

My Seamaster Pro enjoying the view from Rockefeller Centre.

Torneau is a great store. Four floors of watches. A service centre and the cheapest brands in the basement, and the more expensive watches on the higher floors. Not the easiest place to be a tourist though, The staff were very polite-intrusive.. It was allowed to just watch, but the guys were always following us.

Wempe, I just watched from the outside, seems like another great store. The new vintage Heuer Silverstone looks like a great piece! :)

Rolex4.jpg

Rolex2.jpg

Rolex3.jpg

The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid, on pier 84 was cool. But personally, I found it too much of a tourist piece. Not much of the WW2 spirit left. A bit "over-restored"..

Intrepid1.jpg

And last, Canal Street! :D One of the main attractions for me, even though my girlfriend found it boring. It is true that there are no good replicas there. I was thinking of buying one just as a souvenir, but it was pointless.. Some of the B&R and U-boat replicas looked rather ok, but I am not familiar with those brands. I attempted to take some candid pictures there.. :)

canal_street1.jpg

canal_street2.jpg

Mostly carp in the Canal Street stores.

canal_street4.jpg

A proof that there are police in Canal Street. This guy was standing just five meters from the replicas..

canal_street5.jpg

All in all, New York is great!! Wish you a nice trip.

Anyway, for us Scandinavians it gets a bit boring with everybody anywhere asking "How are you doing?".

If you were to order a coffee, you go through:

Waiter: "How are you doing?

Me: " Great thanks, how are you doing?",

Waiter: " Good thanks, how can I help You?"

Me: " Thanks, I would have a Coffee please.".

In Norway, it is just "Hello. Could I have a coffee?". Frankly, I do not care whether the boyfriend just have broke up with the waitress, I just want a coffee... But then again, I have heard that foreigners sometimes consider us Norwegians to be a bit rude.. :D

hate to be disagreeable but the best chinese food in NY is in Chinatown or in Flushing. In Manhattan, try Yea Shanghai Deluxe on Bayard St. There are two locations, one on the corner, the other half way down between Mott and Bowery. Both are good, but the second location is better. Try the Pork Soup dumplings (with or without crab), they are a specialty of the house.

Burgers:

- Rare at the Affina Shelburne Hotel at Lex and 37th.

- DBGB at 299 Bowery has awesome burgers and one of the most impressive beer lists in the city

- Shack Shake at Madison SQ Park is excellent but the lines can be over an hour

- 5 Napkin Burger on 9th and 44th has the most eclectic selection including Lamb burgers. It is a bit pricey though.

Pizza

- Lombardi's on Spring Street is a sublime experience

- Grimaildi's on Old Fulton in Brooklyn (under the Brooklyn Bridge)

- John's on Bleeker Street

EDIT:

Dinosuer is excellent, but the best bbq in NYC is on 11th ave and 46th in hells kitchen, Daisy May, it is off the beaten path though.

• 2 weeks later...