When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ageing a watch case

what2

I tape off the crystal, put on a heavy leather glove, and then mash and scrub it around in a bucket of lathe chips/shavings! Doesn't get real aggressive but generally dulls everything and adds some light scratching. I think it makes it look more "old and taken care of" instead of abused.

Aging Case.JPG

I remember seeing several topics on the best methods to create all those little scratches and marks for the old look. Can't find them, what are your favorite methods to give the appearance of decades of wear?

i usually use an emery board and small files to wear sharp edges .. then a coffee can full of nuts and bolts....then polish with a jewelers cloth ....then repeat the process...............

I tape off the crystal, put on a heavy leather glove, and then mash and scrub it around in a bucket of lathe chips/shavings! Doesn't get real aggressive but generally dulls everything and adds some light scratching. I think it makes it look more "old and taken care of" instead of abused.

Probably the most effective method I've heard of, but unfortunately buckets of lathe chips/shavings are kinda hard to come by if you don't have a lathe........... :(

For light aging, I find randomly abrading with a coarser abrasive paper then finishing with very fine (I use Micromesh which goes up to 12000) and polish is quite effective as it leaves the deeper scratches and gets rid of the light ones so the watch looks old but cared for.

My thing is how do you get that dirty look to it?

the dirty look is achieved following the abbrating step w/ artist supply burnt umber acrylic paint! Liberally painting your case & removing w/ paper towel all excess just before it dries ( 5min. or so) The umber will remain in all the nooks & crannies. A little practice & your specimen can be 50 years of age.....Regards, Mike Cotter