When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ttk>> What Is Going On In Bangkok?

fitmic

Too many people waiting for delivery of hundreds if not thousands of rep watches...all long overdue...frustration is mounting....the source of the conflict has been located in a bar/seafood joint in Pattaya....

A great flame-war seems to be immanent....

Standby for latest developments

The country is under martial law at the moment......a military coup has taken place in favour of the King.....the country's constitution and parliament has been disolved......tanks are on the streets of Bangkok and the military have disarmed the police....( Thai police are strongly tied to Dr Toxin...Taksin Shinarawat...).....Shinarawat has been accused of massive corruption......he sold off shares in his family's telecoms company to the Singaporeans.....it's a tax dodge...but not at all popular with the people....!

So at the moment I have internet service....no TV or radio tho'.......all people are being urged to stay indoors......all Government offices will be closed tomorrow...( sorry guys )...no Post Office..!

Taksin is delivering his speech to the UN at midingt GMT I believe...from there he is flying back to Bangkok.....whether he will be shot or arrested on arrival hasn't been determined yet......!

Ridgemont High doesn't have a look-in....:D

CNN NEWS REPORT -

troops patrolled Bangkok late Tuesday after the chief of Thailand's army said the military was taking control of the country.

The coup against the government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is being led by Thai army chief Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin and Thailand's opposition Party of Democratic Reform.

The coup plotters declared martial law and suspended the constitution of the Southeast Asia nation. (Watch tanks roll through the streets of Bangkok -- 3:53)

Thaksin, in New York to address the United Nations, declared a state of emergency and said his government was still in control of the country.

Troops on the streets of the Thai capital had yellow ribbons on their weapons, a sign of loyalty to the nation's king, to whom the coup plotters proclaimed their loyalty.

At least four tanks and a number of armored vehicles were stationed around the royal palace in Bangkok, CNN's Dan Rivers reported. Soldiers were apparently setting up roadblocks and what appeared to be members of the royal guard surrounded the palace.

It was unclear if the soldiers were loyal to the government or to those attempting to seize power.

Two tanks were parked outside the government headquarters, which houses Thaksin's office.

There have been no reports of violence.

Rumors have been swirling in the Thai capital in recent weeks that a coup d'etat was being planned.

Thaksin, who has been under considerable pressure to step down, decided Monday night to reschedule his speech to the U.N. General Assembly for Tuesday night and return to Bangkok afterward, according to U.N. officials. He had originally been scheduled to address the assembly on Wednesday.

Elections in Thailand are scheduled for November after the country's constitutional court ruled that a vote in April vote was unconstitutional.

Thaksin had called for the April elections, three years early, after opponents accused the billionaire leader of abusing the country's system of checks and balances and bending government policy to benefit his family's business.

Thailand has seen dozens of government coups since the end of World War II.

CNN's Richard Roth contributed to this report

:lol:....definitely not.....the King has no need to take over Thailand.....if ever a monarch was loved by his country.....it's King Bhumibol Aduladye......the longest reigning monarch in the world.....adored by his people....and quite rightly so....!

The military faction that have seized power are loyal to the King and not to Taksin Shinarawat....the PM......they seized power when he is out of the country....and are calling for a new democratic government.!

I dunno...between tsunamis and military coups....why didn't I retire to Florida.....oh I know.......

Jeez - the lengths you will go to to distract us from your flame war with Craytonic!

Bet he comes along now and says this is just an excuse for the 7 week delays in delivery.

Anyhoo, if they sequestrate your assets and fling you out the country you can alway call on me or JTB for bed and board if you end up being repatriated :D :D

:lol:....definitely not.....the King has no need to take over Thailand.....if ever a monarch was loved by his country.....it's King Bhumibol Aduladye......the longest reigning monarch in the world.....adored by his people....and quite rightly so....!

The military faction that have seized power are loyal to the King and not to Taksin Shinarawat....the PM......they seized power when he is out of the country....and are calling for a new democratic government.!

I dunno...between tsunamis and military coups....why didn't I retire to Florida.....oh I know.......

We have a king here in florida his name is JEB Bush - and at least with the hurricaness you get a couple of days notice - unlike the sunami

and we have nice golf

but oye! its so humid

Anyhoo, if they sequestrate your assets and fling you out the country you can alway call on me or JTB for bed and board if you end up being repatriated :D :D

As long as a can get tae play wae yer big beamer.............to coin a phrase!

JTB

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble

Not much between despair and ecstasy

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

Can't be too careful with your company

I can feel the devil walking next to me

Seems like quite a busy week..the riots against the pope, riots in hungary and now a military takeover in Thailand -_- I hope the situation in Thailand will be resolved quickly and safely

Yeah, I know too.

You'd spend all your time getting baked on my boat, toasted on my beer, and incessantly roasted by yours truly for giving up life in a place where even ugly old bastrids like us can date beautiful women.

Besides, what's an occasional non-violent coup among friends . . . personally, I'm about fed up with our very own, "King George."

Bill

If you decide on Florida...I've got a spare room....And a lot of connections in the rep "mafia"!! :unsure::unsure::unsure:

If you decide on Florida...I've got a spare room....And a lot of connections in the rep "mafia"!! :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Maybe he doesn't see your invitation. According to the news here in Norway the web in Thailand has been closed down in some areas..... :huh:

Edited by jens

Here is the latest from my friend that runs our Thai plant as of about 10:00 pm EST.

It was a bit crazy last night but nothing much right now. The private part like us still ok. They declared that it is a holiday today but we still come to work. I’m still alive…… will keep you updated.

Help....help.....they're breaking the door down......send help immediately....heeeellllpppp.

I'm sorry, but you failed to follow directions.

If you wish to request help, you must first obtain the appropriate forms, and submit them in triplicate, specifically stating the type help you need, from whom you hope to receive it, where you need it, for what purpose, and for how long.

Further, you must properly identify yourself, providing your name, address, home phone number, work number, cellular number, fax number, e-mail address and emergency contact number.

If you are a member of any special class, entitled to special considerations due to race, sex, creed, sexual orientation or political affiliation, you must provide this information along with appropriate documentation. If you suffer from any particular disability that would qualify you for preferential selection, and accomodation, you must let us know that too.

Once you have submitted your request for help, please allow thirty days for processing, after which time it will be submitted to committee for review. The committee has forty-five days to make a recommendation, which is sent to our Board of Directors for consideration.

The Board of Directors convenes bi-monthly, and many of the Committee's recommendations are acted upon during the first session in which they are considered, but those that are acted on most expeditiously are generally those involving "[censored] can" recommendations.

In any event, the Board of Directors can be expected to reach consensus within ninety days of receipt of the Committee's recommendation, not counting weekends, holidays, and every-other Friday.

Following favorable action by the Board, the matter will be referred to the Resource Coordinator, who will dispatch help as manpower, funding, and other resources allow.

Thank you for allowing us to be of assistance, and remember:

"Always save that last bullet"

Bill

My brother, the one I'm visiting next week, lives in Bangkok and he went to work as usual this morning. It was a quicker journey due to the quiet streets and he told me they'd removed the tank outside his office and replaced it with two armed soldiers.

His boss, US-ex-military, informed him the big gun he saw near his work was a 106mm Recoilless rifle (M40), designed to take out tanks. It is apparently all over bar the arrest of the PM.

See, there's one thing you can't do in Thailand and that's go against the King, even if the king doesn't mind. You can't sack his generals as that immediately means you're assuming his duties and the Thai people will not have anyone slighting their beloved (and I use that word in its real sense) King.