When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm intrigued by this Explorer dial on the 'Bay

JohnCocktosten

Markers extend to edge. Fonts look a little junky, but otherwise it looks good to me. Seller says Singer, but it looks like Beyeler engraving. Haven't seen any copies of Beyeler dials. But, haven't been looking that hard for very long. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250670089952&Category=10363&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_2500wt_1114

I have purchased from the seller before. His dials are refinished or "restored" as he calls it. Pretty good quality. With regard to acccuracy, I am not a real expert but looks good to me. I purchased a 1665 rail dial from him. Fast shipping.

I have purchased from the seller before.

Ditto.

His dials are refinished or "restored" as he calls it.

I disagree. I think his dials are newly made. In other words, aftermarket. Quality & accuracy, variable.

Again, I have not done extensive research on this model/version of Explorer, but the dial cited by the OP looks pretty good to me. At least, it does not seem to contain the same inaccuracies that the rep's dial has. However, the seller does not indicate what movement the dial's feet are made to fit. So it might be a good idea to clarify this with the seller before ordering.

I disagree. I think his dials are newly made. In other words, aftermarket. Quality & accuracy, variable.

I agree they look newly made. Wouldn't that be considered refinished? I guess my jargon is not quite correct.

I agree they look newly made. Wouldn't that be considered refinished? I guess my jargon is not quite correct.

No, your jargon is incorrect. You refinish an old dial, as was the case with this 1 (done by a professional dial restorer - known gen Rolex dial which was repainted as original)

IMG_0674a2__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

A new dial is simply painted, as was the case for the new ETA dial blank I had repainted for my Phase I 6542 (at right below)

0292__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(I posted a thread describing the construction details of these 6542 watches that you can locate via the search)

That dial looks great!

Thanks. I think this dial demonstrates the difference between the typical aftermarket (newly made) dial & a gen dial that has been properly refinished by a professional dial restorer.

Here is another gen dial I had refinished by the same restorer about 20 years ago

stripedsleeves0761.jpg

I agree with Freddy in that Ingod44 basically sells new aftermarket dials. But this one is interesting. This is a 'frog' dial- the Rolex crown looks like a frog's foot! I've never seen that on a rep dial. But I would figure that Ingod has access to some computer technology and is capable of copying these dials fairly accurately. BTW, dial feet are at 6 and 11:30, so they're correct for the 1570 movt.

FW..."I agree they look newly made. Wouldn't that be considered refinished? I guess my jargon is not quite correct."

F3..."You refinish an old dial..."

I agree with Freddy 100%.

There is no way a dial can truthfully be called 'refinished' when using a new or replica dial blank. The guys selling these 'made from scratch' replica dials call them 'refinished' so they will not get knocked down on eBay etc by genuinerolexpurists...and maybe fool a few suckers.

Here is what I think is funny...a genuinerolexpurist will scream and cry when they see a 'refinished' dial with a replica dial blank for sale, alert the eBay Police, and post the dial info all over the rolex internut forums.

Otoh, they are Ok with a crappy $200 refinishing job on an original dial blank.

If they could get the same quality of 'refinish' job on an original dial blank as the one being discussed, they would be dancing in the streets.

If they paid $1500 for one of these same 'mystery dials' from a 'respected rolex parts dealer'...they would be in Total Bliss.

Imho...many genuinerolexpurists are not living in the real world when it comes to their watches, they are living in their perception of the real world.

"I am not a crook." Richard Nixon

"I am not a purist." amc

Great guy to deal with, I've bought 4 dials from him so far and more soon.

His dials are for Rolex movements...if you want to fit them on an ETA, you will need to obviously snip the dial feet off.

His packages, so far, all come from Thailand and not from China.

A great alternative source for dials...

• 2 months later...

Sorry for necro-post.....but would anyone know if ingod44 dial (26.5mm wide) will fit correctly in Phongs 1655 case set? I believe Phong's dials, like NDTrading dials are 27.3mm.

I know both fit the 1570 movement...but it seems that Phong and NDT provide little bit more diameter on the dial edge compared to Ingod's dial...you can even tell by the comparison of the dials.

So is the GEN Rolex dial 26.5 like Ingod's....because Ingod seems to refer that he remakes the dial on actual Rolex blank?

Markers extend to edge. Fonts look a little junky, but otherwise it looks good to me. Seller says Singer, but it looks like Beyeler engraving. Haven't seen any copies of Beyeler dials. But, haven't been looking that hard for very long. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_2500wt_1114

Sorry for necro-post.....but would anyone know if ingod44 dial (26.5mm wide) will fit correctly in Phongs 1655 case set? I believe Phong's dials, like NDTrading dials are 27.3mm.

I know both fit the 1570 movement...but it seems that Phong and NDT provide little bit more diameter on the dial edge compared to Ingod's dial...you can even tell by the comparison of the dials.

So is the GEN Rolex dial 26.5 like Ingod's....because Ingod seems to refer that he remakes the dial on actual Rolex blank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_2500wt_1114

apparently Beyeler is a company Rolex subcontracted to produce dials for them...or at least that's what this guys says...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Gold-Diamond-String-Ruby-Dial-President-/400158597749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2b4fa275

Does anybody by any chance have Ingod44's email address?

PLease PM me if yes since I can't find a way to contact him via ebay.

Thanks for the help... and sorry for the little thread jacking :)

I have only contacted him through Ebay....waiting to hear back from him tomorrow...I try to get email and forward to you.

Freddy, what do you think about his Newman Dials?

Definitely, his dials have problems. This 1 (below) arrived with the T SWISS T painted white (which is incorrect for a 3-color Newman dial - I re-painted it red), the subdials are a bit too small (leaving a wee bit too much space between their outer edges & the dial's outer minute ring), the coronet was crap (it looked like it was hand-made (with an axe) by a blind man, so I replaced it with a gen) & the subdials are a bit too shallow (the subdials on the gen are set so deeply into the face of the dial that they cause a shadow to appear around their circumference under all but the most direct lighting conditions). But, it got the all-important long-tail 3 correct & the fonts (crisper) & colors (truer) are more gen-like, so, overall, using my rule-of-thumb (does it look gen from an arm's length away or from the next table in a small restaurant?), I bought 1 & replaced my DW with it. As it is now, if he fixed the subdial issues, I would have trouble (reliably) ID'ing this watch as anything other than a gen

picnic62390251.jpg

Beware that the printing quality of his dials (I am talking about samples of the same dial) varies ALOT & I passed on a number of his previous auctions for the same dial until this 1 came up.

Addendum

1 of NDT's PN dials gets the subdial depth nearly correct. Unfortunately, the rest of the dial is crap

404527495_o.jpg