When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 vs ETA 7750 ?

panerai153

I'm in a bit of a dilema. I'm looking at a particular PAM model that uses a 7750 movement (non-chrono) I suppose the 7750 is used to get the seconds at 9 option. At any rate the watch is offered with either an A7750 or a Swiss ETA 7750. herein lies the dilema, the price of the Swiss ETA is 300.00 USD more than the A7750, effectively doubling the cost of the watch. So what should I do? buy the A7750 model and send it up to The Zigmeister and get a movement service, and possibly get the hands/ dial relumed and a better Crown installed, or spend the extra 300.00 USD for the Swiss movement. I can do all the mods and the movement service for less than the price of the Swiss movement.Question, is the A7750 reliable enough to stand up over time?

Thanks

A7750 high beat is amazingly reliable movement. It has been out for what... 4-5 years. How many member complaints you hear about it? Very few.

I've never had ANY problems with my A7750 watches. It's an excellent movement.

Noel,

It's not mine. I'm contemplating a purchase, and want to know if I should spend and extra 300+ dollars on an ETA 7750 version of the watch as opposed to the same watch with an A7750 movement.

Remember, when you get an Asian watch with a genuine ETA 7750, you are not getting a movement that has passed the quality checks that a fully vetted ETA chronograph movement has to go through. Although the origins of these "Swiss" movements that end up in our reps is murky, the consensus is that they are ETA movements manufactured in China that have not gotten their Swiss spit polishing prior to sale as the real thing. That being said, I think the reliability of the Asian version is a much better known entity than the reliability of these "Swiss ETAs" in out replicas. I have had positive and negative experiences with the A7750 but I can say the quality of the unaltered version available today is better than the state of the Asian art 5 years ago. I dont think paying extra for a genuine (whatever that means) ETA movement is worth it.

3 watches with A7750 high beats. 2 Hublots (V1's) and a PAM sub.

Of the 3, 2 have had problems. Basically crono hands slipping so not resetting properly, plus a power reserve issue.

In one case the movement had to be scrapped off and replaced, and the replacement A7750 high beat also has suffered slipping crono hands.

This may be more to do with the models in question - a modder has advised me that the HBB's have really poor quality hands tubes for the stems, making them unreliable.

That said the stems and tubes on A7750 AP's is of very good quality. Just the secs at 12 mod is delicate and needs a thorough going over.....

3 watches with A7750 high beats. 2 Hublots (V1's) and a PAM sub.

Of the 3, 2 have had problems. Basically crono hands slipping so not resetting properly, plus a power reserve issue.

In one case the movement had to be scrapped off and replaced, and the replacement A7750 high beat also has suffered slipping crono hands.

This may be more to do with the models in question - a modder has advised me that the HBB's have really poor quality hands tubes for the stems, making them unreliable.

That said the stems and tubes on A7750 AP's is of very good quality. Just the secs at 12 mod is delicate and needs a thorough going over.....

Scotty,

The watch I'm looking at wouldn't have some of the problems you stated, as it is not a chrono, it uses the A7750 I suspect as it is a seconds at 9 model. This is the original 7750 configuration is it not?

Scotty,

The watch I'm looking at wouldn't have some of the problems you stated, as it is not a chrono, it uses the A7750 I suspect as it is a seconds at 9 model. This is the original 7750 configuration is it not?

Correct.

Scottys HBB probably suffer from low quality hands. Chrono slipping is common on all chronograph movements, genuine or clone movmement. 99% of the time its the chrono seconds hand itself that slips. Either due to not being fitted properly or its worn out and needs to be crimped.

I have a Graham with an A7750 and has no problems what so ever power reserve is on par with my SOSF that I had serviced recently. Keeps time just as well also. It is several years old and has had nothing nor required anything from me other than the occasional swirl in the palm to get it started after leaving it on the counter for a few days.

I wouldn't pay a ton extra for the Swiss version unless I could be assured it was a genuine Swiss and I had the extra money to spend on it. I think the A7750 is kind of a luck of the draw or maybe they are worse now than when I picked up the Graham.

I have 50/50 luck with the A7750 (only two isn't a good amount to make a comparison) the latest one has a very, very short power reserve (less than 8 hours) and it is off being serviced. The other is the Graham and it is wonderful. I wore it a ton while my SOSF was off at VACs getting lumed and serviced now the Graham is back to sitting on the side lines. Waiting to see if I can get The Zigmeister to lume it and perhaps a crystal AR from cheif.

nothing but the gen one.

asia 7750 material = bad

swiss 7750 material = excellent

asia 7750 adjustment accuracy = bad

swiss 7750 adjustment accuracy = excellent

asia 7750 accuracy = not better than 8-10 seconds plus per day ,

swiss 7750 accuracy = with a high-end time-level-machine and maybe 2-3 days to check, better than 3 seconds plus per day.

in my auto pams i have always a swiss 7750, and it is a real joy to see the accuracy.

rolli

• Like 1

nothing but the gen one.

asia 7750 material = bad

swiss 7750 material = excellent

asia 7750 adjustment accuracy = bad

swiss 7750 adjustment accuracy = excellent

asia 7750 accuracy = not better than 8-10 seconds plus per day ,

swiss 7750 accuracy = with a high-end time-level-machine and maybe 2-3 days to check, better than 3 seconds plus per day.

in my auto pams i have always a swiss 7750, and it is a real joy to see the accuracy.

rolli

If all you care about is accuracy, switch to 8usd jap quartz, its better then swiss eta 7750.

Were talking reps here, if the a7750 craps out, one can always replcae with eta.

And don't forget, it also has been discussed many times before on this forum, if you go ETA you don't know what kind of movement you get. Definitely not a movement from a sealed plastic bag straight from the ETA factory which is properly cleaned and oiled. So you could get a refurbished movement or a movement from the shelf which has been on that shelf for many years. After around 5-7 years, even un-used, a movement needs a service.

So don't think you are there by paying 300usd for the ETA. Expect another 200usd to get it properly serviced.

Therefore I think investing in a A7750 and get that properly serviced is the better choice any day of the year if you're on a budget.

just my 2c.

So don't think you are there by paying 300usd for the ETA. Expect another 200usd to get it properly serviced.

Therefore I think investing in a A7750 and get that properly serviced is the better choice any day of the year if you're on a budget.

just my 2c.

2c. well put.

I know that some people will never except a Chinese made product over a Swiss,ok fair enough. But the reality Is that the Chinese are making very good watches and very good movements that run these watches. How good are the chinese watchmakers? Well the Swiss are sending many of there watch parts and componets to China to be made. The Swiss are outsourcing to China because the Chinese are delivering In a "big way" at a much lower price point. I feel that the A7750 Is as good or very close to the Valjoux. My A7750 are keeping excellent time. I also dont baby my watches, I dont abuse them understand but I use them like I would any gen. I do keep them out of the water and away from steem and Im also very careful(gentle) when engaging the crown. RWG's very own Zigmeister has talked about how good a properly serviced A7750 Is, I agree with him. Several years back the Asian movements were unfinished and not refined. But look at some of the work that they are doing today. Decorating the rotors and bridges,plates, using different colored screws. I am very Impressed with what the Chinese and rep makers are doing today. Chinese junk? not anymore. Remember when the Koreans threw there hat Into the auto Industry ring? Well everybody laughed Including myself. Back In 1986 they came out with the Hyundai Excell :lol: What a piece of [censored] that car was. They were usally shot at 50.000 mi,If you were lucky.So they stole a page from the Japinesse play book. Over the years the Korian car company Improved. Have you seen a Hyundai lately, Korian junk? Im afraid not.I was looking at a new Sonota the other day, the f&f and quailty of workmenship was beyond reproach. Every bit as good If not better than a Honda,Nissan,Toyota,etc. Hyundai has won many awards resently, JD powers and tons of accolades from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automoble Mag, Road and track, the list go's on and on. I did not mean to go so far off topic but I feel that the Hyundai analogy Is a good one.I also wantd to look at the bigger picture. The Chinese were laughed at not long ago for making sub par timepieces. But like the Korians they have Improved over the years and now make a quailty product, replicas Included. Is the A7750 as good as the Valjoux? I say "It's very close". :good: Mike