When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer Fighters rep

importr

I'm wondering if the old version is still available, or if it's only this newer one, which has the silly 2-piece dial & sunken date:

http://www.ok-replica.com/breitling-navitimer-chronograph-swiss-valjoux-7750-automatic-movement-white-dial-with-black-subdials-and-stick-markers-p-5369.html

http://www.ok-replica.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=5369&pic=7&products_image_large_additional=images/Breitling/2009060221_08.jpg

but it does have a better bezel and slightly thicker lugs than standard Navi rep. This is a new case.

http://www.ok-replica.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=5369&pic=4&products_image_large_additional=images/Breitling/2009060221_05.jpg

So I'm thinking of building a tribute to my old genuine Fighters, and hopefully using a combination of old & new Fighter rep, WHITE dial. Maybe PolexPete already tried this project?

I've got a genuine Breitling calibre 13 on its way, with correct DW and signed rotor. Though it could go to another watch if the Fighter isn't available.

I may try to buy a domed crystal - mineral or acrylic. If mineral, i'll get it AR'd. I will file the case horns to the correct angle, and strip the donor parts and brush them all.

ScotlAug06008.jpg

I might even tint the hands, as the gen white dial Fighter has darker (large) hands.

So if anyone has bought one recently, please tell me who supplied it! Pics would be good too.

Thanks

My favorite Navitimer. I would buy a rep instantly if there was a good one available.

I actually owned one back in 2005. It looked like this.

Lots of flaws... the biggest being the polished case and bracelet. The subdial concave shape (which is characteristic for Navis) was achieved by stickers. :whistling:

sideview.jpg

It'd be nice if there was something better than this... and with BRUSHED case.

I remember that watch BT, I remember how you lovingly photographed it too.

My Fighters reps (1 black & 1 white) were the next revision, with solid subdials

If we ignored the fact that it was a Serie Speciale, it'd be a very good rep of an Old Navitimer.

What was the logic to produce a Fighter with glaring errors?

if Mister MBW or Mister WM9 could rework the Navitimer, they'd have a whole new market!

as for the subdial stickers LOL I guess that Factory didn't have the tooling to re-create the dished guilloche effect back then. Obviously things moved on, as the 2008 Super Avenger arabic dial is almost indistinguishable from the gen.

:)

So I'm thinking of building a tribute to my old genuine Fighters, and hopefully using a combination of old & new Fighter rep, WHITE dial. Maybe PolexPete already tried this project?

Hi Importr,

i recieved a newer version of the fighters when i ordered a Serie Speciale from Andrew and took it apart to see what would fit.

Unfortunately not even a gen dial would go in, the opening is too large. Its only good if you keep it stock, it no good for modding. But at least the dial and slide rule lined up....

I did get an older version off of him after but this was back in Jan/Feb time i believe, not sure if they're still around...

Cheers

P.

• 5 months later...

@HackR

For case & bracelet brushing I use Artifex Wheel attached to a variable speed drill (clamped). I have 2 grades, both 150 (coarse) grain.

The Hard compound gives a matte finish like Breitling OEM

The Medium compound gives a satin finish like Omega OEM - also works well on Titanium, for the Breitling matte finish.

using Scotchbrite pads etc. has it advantages for hard to reach crevices. I also use small patches of very fine wet 'n' dry for some edges. Those fiberglass pens are useful but only for tiny jobs, not scratches.

This is part of my original Fighter modding post a few years back:

First, remove the straps and case back. Use Blu-Tac in a big blob or (if its too tight) the correct Breitling-style caseback or Jaxa-type tools.

Remove crown, take out movement and also the pusher buttons.

Removing the buttons can be tricky as the tiny 'C' clips can get lost.

DSC00284.jpg

I then removed the glass, especially if it has AR.

I used a proper watchmakers tool, an abrasive wheel that feels like compacted soft sand...here's where I bought it

http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=456115

...fitted to an upright variable speed drill. Have it on slow speed and press the case against it so that the brushing happens in one direction only.

If you dont want to buy the wheel, it is also possible to use a new scouring pad. I would say that the wheel produces the most even and tidy pattern. Having said that, I used BOTH, to get the parts that the wheel wouldn't fit in.

DSC00191.jpg

Try to get the same grain and direction all over the watch case, including the bezel. The wheel might scratch the glass, thats why I took it out.

Next, you need to brush the crown and then the buttons. Try to have the brush pattern happen in one direction only...

...the genuine...

watpic013.jpg

Now thoroughly clean the case and glass, might even be worth putting the vaccum cleaner nozzle near it. The particles from the Artifex wheel get everywhere! Use the Blu-Tac to get hard to reach bits out.

Refit the pusher buttons, mov't etc and crown.

Finally refit the caseback. My Genuine Fighter Navi has a polished caseback. So I would leave it as is.

watpic011.jpg

Stand back and admire your work of art! (hopefully)

S5000007-1.jpg

S503.jpg

S5001882.jpg

S5001368.jpg

Real on the left, rep on the right

ScotlAug06009.jpg

ScotlAug06008.jpg

ScotlAug06007.jpg

ScotlAug06006.jpg

ScotlAug06005.jpg

ScotlAug06004.jpg[/

You are sort of right, but the cartels' 1:1 was correct for an Old Navitimer, but the bezel, sapphire (should've been high dome mineral) crystal, case lugs were wrong compared to the gen

I also remember that it was an extortionate amount of money, plus the date wheel was the ETA type. $888, for what is basically a mildly modded rep?

Andreww & ByTor may have already listed these, but AFAIK, these are the only credible Navi reps, in chronological order of release:

1) 50th Anniv & "calibre 23" arabic dial - Seagull manual wind, no date

2) "calibre 23" baton & arabic dials - a7750 tricompax low beat

3) Serie Speciale - a7750 low beat

*sometime during this period, when asian 7750s were still very unreliable, the Cartel modded one was released*

2 & 3 then released as hi beat and proved to be more reliable

4) 2nd gen 50th Anniv - a7750 tricompax. Turned out to be a dogs dinner of a rep

5) 2nd gen Serie Speciale - a7750 with better case & bezel etc. but still had the wrong crystal (see URL at top) PolexPete's watch.

I think you are spot on with your chronology Importr. The brushed Serie Speciale that they released was simply a brushed V2 with a swiss movement. All the same errors, and a bit of a stretch at almost $900. I'd have to say that of all the Navis I've seen, the genuine Fighters is by far the nicest. The beefier bezel and case and the brushed appearance really made for a very macho looking watch. Regular Navis are awesome, but the SS took it to the next level

As for making a franken Navi, the only real formula is an old school fighters, a gen Old Navi dial, a proper datewheel, AR, and a tricompax caseback. Aside from the model number and the color of the slide rule insert, you'd have a pretty convincing rep.

Just 2 weeks ago I tried to buy a Navi SS with Andrew and upon receiving QC pics I noticed it had the 'regular' Navi case back. After emailing him my observation he contacted the factory which told him the SS case back is out of production since 2 years..... So I changed my order.

Apparently these Navi SS are out of production, or at least the case back is.

Interesting...was it a Serie Speciale dial, the non sunken one? And did it have the correct date font?

If the answers are YES, I am thinking that this would be a good base for modding.

Care to post these QC pics? :)

Importr, sell me one of these, please, please, please....:pardon:

Dude, i would if i still had either of them! The black went on ebay a few years back (since they were so common on these forums), and the white one went to my mate, who still has it and wears it often!

I'm waiting for his a7750 to pack up and then I will take it back "for spare parts" muhahaha

• 6 months later...

a great reference thread as i mod my v1 Fighter...

a couple questions...

1) did you ever file down the lug horns?...(hesitant to do so, but would make a difference)...

2) is the gen black dial a matte, gloss or semi-gloss finish?...

3) how much of a gen dial needs to be shaved down to fit in this case?...(the answer is probably in Pete's thread)...even tho gen dials are works of art - it seems that without a gen slide rule, its still just a hybrid...does the gen slide rule fit into these cases?...could be a moot point, as it seems that finding a gen slide rule is tough...

thanks, Gents... :drinks:

a great reference thread as i mod my v1 Fighter...

a couple questions...

1) did you ever file down the lug horns?...(hesitant to do so, but would make a difference)...

2) is the gen black dial a matte, gloss or semi-gloss finish?...

3) how much of a gen dial needs to be shaved down to fit in this case?...(the answer is probably in Pete's thread)...even tho gen dials are works of art - it seems that without a gen slide rule, its still just a hybrid...does the gen slide rule fit into these cases?...could be a moot point, as it seems that finding a gen slide rule is tough...

thanks, Gents... :drinks:

2) The gen dial on mine looks matt.

3) I still see a little bit of slide rule markings on the gen dial once it's installed into the case with rep slide rule.

I am slightly confused. I own the version of the Navitimer which By-Tor referenced in his post, and I was thinking of doing some mods to it. From what people have said, I suppose I could:

1. buy an old navitimer dial off fleabay and replace the dial with the crappy stickers

2. replace the slow beat movement with the a7750 and

3. AR

and I should be all good to go?

Just wondering if the gen dial and A7750 would fit into the old case.

This is mine with gen dial. I was lucky and bought this from here. If you have to replace the movement, why not a gen ETA 7750? However, if what you have is a Navi Tricompax, then I'm not so sure if gen dial will fit.

ddca6372.jpg

Speaking of AR. Does gen Navi of this vintage have AR on the crystal, Gents?

• 2 months later...

Sorry HackR, I completely missed this post!

The gen dial has a slight sheen to it. Not completely matte, and not shiny. in fact the rep superocean abyss has the same sheen as gen!

I didn't file the case horns as I didn't get the old navitimer case. Since I originally typed this thread I went and found a gen fighters! Therefore the project was shelved. The gen B13 went into a BCE.

IIRC, you shave off 0.5mm , making the dial 1mm smaller in diameter. Best check your rep dial first to be sure.

hth! :)