When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any scotch drinkers?

HauteHippie

So I wound up at a scotch bar with a few friends last night. Now I'm not a really big scotch drinker, but this pub literally had a hundred varieties on the menu, so I took some recommendations and tried a few....

1st up: Glengoyne 10yr. Very smooth. Oak flavor. Slight burn. Quite nice.

2nd up: Isle of Jura 16yr. Syrupy. Very fruity. Less burn. Didn't care for it.

3rd up: Glenkinchie 12 yr. Smooth. A bit spicy. Slight burn. Slightly preferred over the Glengoyne.

Last up: Macallan Fine Oak 21 yr. I just had to see what $20 tasted like. And ... wow ... now I know. We're talking spicy honey. Has anyone else ever had this? Looks like $250/bottle, and I just think it might be worth it.

Took a cab home and slept well. ;-)

So for the scotch drinkers out there, what do you like and how do you describe it? I could get in to this.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotch is my drink of choice but to be honest I have never tried any of the 4 you review here.

I like single malt by preference but will drink blends before any other spirit.

Isle of Islay is a nice scotch which is rather smooth and has a slight smokey flavour, Dimple is also a nice tipple but people should not overlook the good old Johnnie Walker, the blue or green labels are as good as any of the more fancied brands on the market.

Ken

I love the Macallan 21. I am also not a real fan of Isle of Jura the superstition isn't all that bad but it is different than what I typically drink. Another good one I found was the Lagavulin distillers edition it was really good... Also try the glengoyne 17 wonderful stuff. I picked up a Lagavulin 16yo and it wasn't the best stuff but was still a decent buy. I haven't been drink though recently, no where near as much as what I used to drink lol.

3257823020_ff31bb7567_z.jpg

Me? Whisky? HOW DARE YOU!....

Oh, right.... :p

Don't drink too much whisky these days, but when it's there Glenmorangie is quality.

Also recommend Gordon & McPhail's shop as the ultimate whisky store anywhere in the world (their online stuff doesn't do it justice, but the store itself in Scotland is excellent).

[Also corrected a typo in KB's post :pardon: ]

I bought the 40 year old Speyside Finest (60th anniversary) for my father in law on his 60th birthday a couple of weeks ago. He starred at it for hours. I don't think he even remembers what other stuff he got. So I guess I hit homerun there:)

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?whisky=Speysides-Finest-40-year-old&pid=2659

Usually I go for the Isle og Islay whiskeys my self...I love a rich and smokey bottle of whiskey!

Cheers

I bought the 40 year old Speyside Finest (60th anniversary) for my father in law on his 60th birthday a couple of weeks ago. He starred at it for hours. I don't think he even remembers what other stuff he got. So I guess I hit homerun there:)

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?whisky=Speysides-Finest-40-year-old&pid=2659

Usually I go for the Isle og Islay whiskeys my self...I love a rich and smokey bottle of whiskey!

Cheers

Whoa. That does look special. Distilled in 1969. Hopefully you can have a taste or two.

Next on my list when I return to this bar:

620139x.jpg

I used to be really into Scotch, I've tried a lot of high end ones and low end.. I settled in the middle area a while back, but now I'm more into simpler stuff like Jameson Irish Whiskey. I can do Jameson shots all night and not go broke. I sill have half a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue for special occations.

I can drink it but prefer a bourbon, i have spent a night with a mate who had loads of bottle of single malts but by the time he asked me to try them i had drank half a bottle of jack so it was a bit wasted (so was i)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice. Do you add water to the Macallan cask strength?

I have now bought a couple bottles...

Macallan Fine Oak 17yr - Sweet and smooth, and honestly a little boring now that I've tasted others. I guess I prefer more spice and smokiness. Super smooth though.

Highland Park 18yr - The best scotch I've had yet. Full of flavor. I think I like it better than the 25yr.

Glenkinchie 12yr - My favorite lower priced scotch. I could drink it regularly.

Have a few others on my list to try next time at the scotch bar.

I am a big Scotch drinker as well. Just killed off a Glenlivet 18yr old last night.

Adding a few drops of water to a Scotch after your initial tasting will actually allow the Scotch to "open". Similar to a wine. I usually grab and squeeze an ice cube and drip 3 drops of water into my glass.

At the bar, one way to order is to ask for a "Water Back" which the bartender should give you a small glass of water that you can "add to taste".

For my "daily" Scotch's (12yr olds) I will actually just drop ONE Ice Cube in the glass with about 1.5 ~ 2 Ounces.

Nice. Do you add water to the Macallan cask strength?

I have now bought a couple bottles...

Macallan Fine Oak 17yr - Sweet and smooth, and honestly a little boring now that I've tasted others. I guess I prefer more spice and smokiness. Super smooth though.

Highland Park 18yr - The best scotch I've had yet. Full of flavor. I think I like it better than the 25yr.

Glenkinchie 12yr - My favorite lower priced scotch. I could drink it regularly.

Have a few others on my list to try next time at the scotch bar.

Yes...I would water to taste or throw maybe 1 or 2 small ice cubes...that cask strength is pretty wicked stuff. :drinks:

I am a big Scotch drinker as well. Just killed off a Glenlivet 18yr old last night.

Adding a few drops of water to a Scotch after your initial tasting will actually allow the Scotch to "open". Similar to a wine. I usually grab and squeeze an ice cube and drip 3 drops of water into my glass.

At the bar, one way to order is to ask for a "Water Back" which the bartender should give you a small glass of water that you can "add to taste".

For my "daily" Scotch's (12yr olds) I will actually just drop ONE Ice Cube in the glass with about 1.5 ~ 2 Ounces.

What is in your collection, Ronin? What are some of your favorite daily drinkers and favorites overall?