When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Father's Franken Date-Just, finally back together

ubiquitous

Just a couple pics of my father's Franken Date-Just; I've had this one on my desk for a few months now and finally got a moment to get it all back together.

-Genuine 16234 case

-Genuine WG bezel

-Genuine crystal

-Genuine 603 crown/tube

-Genuine dial

-ETA 2824

-Stilty ring

I spent some time pondering whether I should just get ahold of a 3135 to stab in the case instead of the ETA currently inside, and may eventually do so. However for the time being, Dad just wants his watch back, so this will have to do for now.

A couple of hurried and not so great pics... When I get a chance, I'll grab some better images for my library :)

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

:)

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

Thats kinda the same thing i built for my father except I used to Tudor case with a datejust redial and the original Tudor ETA movement. I wouldnt bother putting in a gen movement because the ETA 2824 is going to be a pretty reliable engine, easy to service and will keep good time. :whistling:Nobody is going to see the movement anyways right?

Thanks, gents. This is indeed a neat watch with a dial that I've not seen come up very often.

Dad has worn this one for the past few years; I gave it to him when my daughter was born. It's certainly seen it's fair share of wear and tear, especially to the crown and case sides. I'll probably give it a quick polish, and I offered to swap the crown, but Dad doesn't think it's necessary :) Might just do it anyways....

Was also thinking of maybe trying to fit a 3155 into the case, but not certain it would fit. I know Dad would appreciate a Day + Date function.

@red- The WG fluted bezel came with the case set, so it wasn't difficult to source at all ;) I do see similar bezels for sale from time to time, but the pricing tends to be a bit steep ($300 - $400 for WG; that's more than I originally paid for the entire case set with the bezel). I do see some SS fluted bezels for signifcantly less, but the WG really adds a nice touch to the overall watch.

Chief,

The watch came back for a couple of items- I wanted to get a new, taller hour wheel, cannon pinion and fourth wheel fitted and also install a stilty ring to stabilize the movement inside the case. I also installed some new hands, but would like to find some better replacements; the ones currently fitted are okay, but could be better.

The dial is my favorite part about this watch :)

Glad to see you "building" again Ubi ;)

And for some strange reason despite i am no big Rolex addict

i absolutely love the clean, classical and understated look of this piece!! :)

Btw is it my eyes or are the hour wheel/cannon pinion a little bit "off"

on the first pic?

Cheers!

George

camiel-

I would agree; the DJ is very under appreciated! It's a nice, classic look and a solid timepiece. Great everyday watch that's versatile for just about anything.

George,

Good eyes, sir. That first pic is the case with movement and dial fitted only; no Stilty ring to center the movement in the case, so that's why it's slightly off. The Stilty ring fixes that, however... This one's got a nice, solid feel to it now (without the ring, the movement wants to shift from side to side slightly when setting the crown).