When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 1680 White....Great!...But bad gasket...Arrrgh!

btocamelo

I am considering the purchase of this watch (vintage 1680 White from Puretime). However, the last thing I want to be doing is pay full price and then have to mess around with flawed parts...I just want a plug & play no hassel vintage rep.

Is this a common occurance on this model...?

The replica watch hobby doesn't have a healthy modding community for nothing! You get the best example you can find, have a talented modder change what he can, and then accept the remaining flaws. It's all part of the experience.

I see your point regarding this being a hobby for many. Shaving gc's to look more authentic, better crystal, bezel inserts, etc, I understand. But the OP said that he received a non-functioning or ill-functioning bezel, and via pictures displayed, has gone to quite a bit of hassel/headache just to get it functioning. I have a sub LV with gc's that are not correct, but the watch functions and keeps excellent time as an everyday wearer for the past 11+ months.

Edited by lgking

I have a PT and a Trusty 1680....I did notice that the PT 1680 comes with the drilled lugs and fat springbars....but my 1680 from Trusty did not, even though they were exactly the same watch....probably Trusty will get on the ball soon since it seems him and PT are almost identical sites.

Puretime and Trusty are almost identical sites? I can assure you that they have nothing to do with each other.

It seems like different sites have different variations of these new vintage subs and sea-dwellers, but Puretime seems to have the best ones.

dizz

Puretime and Trusty are almost identical sites? I can assure you that they have nothing to do with each other.

It seems like different sites have different variations of these new vintage subs and sea-dwellers, but Puretime seems to have the best ones.

dizz

I know they have nothing to do with each other....but you cannot deny that they offer about 99% exactly the same product (maybe with small mods sometimes)....they almost may as well be related to each other and help each other to control the REP watch market. I have yet to see something that Andrew comes out with that PT also has and vice versa. Same with Josh at perfect clones.

Then you have small specialty guys like River, Mary, King, Phong, MBK, Yuki etc. Davidsen is in a whole nother ballpark with his custom Panerai.

But Andrew and PT both offer just about the same stuff.

Edited by btocamelo

No problems at all with my PT 1680.

My Trusty 1680 did have that damaged plastic washer, but Andrew's (Trusty) customer service and email response was A+ and he had the factory send me a brand new case and bezel! I can build another 1680!

The 1680 from Andrew is off to JMB getting a custom crystal retaining ring, a GEN triplock crown/case tube and fat springbars.....these were things I was going to get done anyways.

As with any REP, there are always mods that you will want to get done depending on your level of detail....some will wear the watch as it is a very good REP, others want to take their REP to the next level with GEN parts, etc. It's all part of this hobby and it is what makes collecting REPs 10x better than collecting GEN watches.

So, Andrew's customer response was awesome, and I would recommend him highly. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

btocamelo,

Did you have 'bezel problems' with your Puretime 1680...?

I have a PT and a Trusty 1680....I did notice that the PT 1680 comes with the drilled lugs and fat springbars....but my 1680 from Trusty did not, even though they were exactly the same watch....probably Trusty will get on the ball soon since it seems him and PT are almost identical sites.

the PT does at the price of being drilled too far up the lug.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my 1680 from Angus today.. ripped it all apart right after dinner.

I was expecting a silly bezel retention system, and thats definatly what it has. i popped off the rep t-127 with little effort and snapped on a nice aftermarket t-19 superdome thats slightly taller and much more domed than say a clarks or slimeball990 brand t-19. Anyways the new crystal took a lot of force to snap it on but its on there in one piece. Theres no way its ever coming off by accident thats for sure.

NOW, i just need to figure out how to get the crystal retention ring to fit. The rep crystal had a larger outside diameter by like 0.2mm so now the bezel retention ring is loose even with the pastic ring and just pops right off. I wonder if a good aftermarket retention ring and bezel assembly would grab onto this new crystal nice and tight?

If this aftermarket crystal I installed is anywhere near gen spec, then a proper retention ring should fit right???

dizz

I just received my 1680 from Angus today.. ripped it all apart right after dinner.

I was expecting a silly bezel retention system, and thats definatly what it has. i popped off the rep t-127 with little effort and snapped on a nice aftermarket t-19 superdome thats slightly taller and much more domed than say a clarks or slimeball990 brand t-19. Anyways the new crystal took a lot of force to snap it on but its on there in one piece. Theres no way its ever coming off by accident thats for sure.

NOW, i just need to figure out how to get the crystal retention ring to fit. The rep crystal had a larger outside diameter by like 0.2mm so now the bezel retention ring is loose even with the pastic ring and just pops right off. I wonder if a good aftermarket retention ring and bezel assembly would grab onto this new crystal nice and tight?

If this aftermarket crystal I installed is anywhere near gen spec, then a proper retention ring should fit right???

dizz

possibly.....but I sent mine off to JMB to mill me a proper retention ring and get rid of that plastic washer.

Also, I've had to machine down the rehaut OD .010" - .012" on several of these cases. One was so big I couldn't get the crystal started and a couple others caused cracking around the edge of the crystal.

Also, I've had to machine down the rehaut OD .010" - .012" on several of these cases. One was so big I couldn't get the crystal started and a couple others caused cracking around the edge of the crystal.

My t-19 snapped on LOUDLY with a but of force... now it wont come off :black_eye:

lol

Its on there really GOOD.. i used a little torch to heat the acrylic to help take some tension off so hopefully it wont crack but i guess we shall have to wait and see. I heated the case fairly hot and also the outer diameter of the plexy slightly (well below melting point) to hopefully that will relax it a little to take the stress off... Only time will tell.

I have a gen 5513 crystal retention ring that seems to fit snugly with a little pressure from a crystal press so that might be a solution for now... Looks like i might have to search for a gen bezel now.

Dizz

JMB did a great job in custom milling a bezel retention ring over the Clark crystal...and got rid of that plastic washer rig the cartels are using. The bezel spins just like GEN :D ....I know the bezel insert is not correct...but it looks cool with the vintaged pearl....instead of that plastic one that suppose to go there.

msg-24124-0225632001284393571.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. I have no doubt that JMB does good work from everything im reading here.

Tonight I am going to remove my dial and try to file open that tiny datewindow to more the size of the genuine. The rep window looks about half the size of the gen and much to square. Needs to go from a 4x6 shape to a 16x9 shape. Im going to remove material from the left edge and top and bottom to expose more of that nice silver flat top 3 insert :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wish me luck

lol

Dizz

Let me know how it goes....cause that's one of the issues I'm seeing with the current cartel 1680....another one is that the cyclops of the clark crystal does not line up directly over the window...:bangin:

Looks pretty good to me. I have no doubt that JMB does good work from everything im reading here.

Tonight I am going to remove my dial and try to file open that tiny datewindow to more the size of the genuine. The rep window looks about half the size of the gen and much to square. Needs to go from a 4x6 shape to a 16x9 shape. Im going to remove material from the left edge and top and bottom to expose more of that nice silver flat top 3 insert :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wish me luck

lol

Dizz

• 9 months later...

After reading this thread, I want to know what everyone is doing for a more gen like retention ring and bezel arrangement. I have a Trevor 5514 case that looks very good and thus far has a functioning sealed HEV(cannot test for actual performance, but no leaks) and I want to stay away from the GS glue and retention ring that falls out issue. What is everyone doing for the setup? JMB, is there an alternative bezel/retention ring combo?

E