When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The watch gods must be angry

what2

Finally got my 1680 back together, found a spare second hand, it looks good enough... went to put it back together and the stem will not "lock" into the movement... help???

DSC_0836.jpg

not sure what it is with this watch, I even bought a hand press, man how did I ever do without it?

Had the same thing happen to me when swapping a movement into my WM9.. For me the keyless got out of whack. Had to take off the dial and datewheel and take apart the keyless works and put it back together right. Very scary if you've never done it before. For me, the hardest part is getting the date wheel back on right, because you have to take the overlay off.

I think I am going to send it out to a watchguy I know that will work on eta based reps, I went to open my tool box and for a second I heard the watch movement crying. I do have another dead eta in my box, I might try taking that one apart and see how it goes. Then again if I would take the TZ watch course like I have been thinking about for like the last 7 years I would not have this problem.

If you remove the stem while it's in the wrong position, the little lever in the keyless works gets dragged out of place and the stem will no longer lock in.

It's SO simple to reset a keyless works ... the hard part is getting to the keyless works and then re-assembling everything without damaging the hands and the dial ... ugh.

Yes everyone seems to have a different opinion about what position to have the stem in when releaseing it. I find its the best to do it in the winding position, but others prefer to release it in the time setting position. The problem with these ETA movements is that the keyless works are very sensitive and easily damaged. You have to use the exact correct size screwdriver of 1.2mm i believe otherwise you run the risk of pressing the release in too far, thus damaging the keyless works. It is for sure an easy fix IF you can put the watch back together afterwards...

Awesome jesture from Justasgood to repair it for you, he definatly knows his stuff.

dizz

[edited for spelling]

Edited by Dizzy

I have worked on many ETA 28xx movements and I have never been able to tell that it matter what position the keyless works is in when removing the stem. I have done it every way and have not had problems because of that.

When removing the stem you should pull on the crown while pushing easily and slowly on the release pin. You just want to press it enought to release the stem and no more. You are pressing on the pin that is the axle that the setting lever rides on. If you press too hard you can push it all the way out of position. The best way is to use a small screwdriver that just fits in the provided slot on the plate.

One of the points that no one usually makes is that when the stem is removed from the watch you must be very careful with the watch movement. Do not jar it or turn it over quickly or drop it. The stem has a groove in it that a little pin on the bottom of the set lever rides in. When the stem is removed there is nothing to hold things in order. If you jar the movement with the stem out the setting lever can move out of place.

ETA pull to hack position then remove. Valjoux remove in winding position.

Totally agree, it doesn't seem to matter with swiss ETA whether you remove the stem in winding or hack position, but the Clones seem to have to have the stems removed in hacking position or pushing the stem back in will dislodge the castle gear every time. I guess it's a tolerance issue in manufacture.