When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Porsche experts please chime in!

By-Tor

I have my Mercedes E200 Kompressor 2006 as a company car. It's a very, very good car but it bores me to tears.

I want to have some fun... and think I want a Porsche (an used one of course). 911 is very cool but I can't help it but it always gives me a bit of that "little boy, big engine" impression... just like the Beemers. It's bit of a "in your face" car... you know what I mean... and I don't want that.

I absolutely love the 928 but I'm not sure how expensive and difficult the maintenance would be. 968 is another model that I really, really like.

I always thought this one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

1995_porsche_928_2_dr_gts_hatchback-pic-1798333173724563541.jpeg

968 is a lot alike.

PORSCHE968-medium-3025_2.jpg

Which one would you prefer... and does anyone know about the maintenance cost/parts supply in Europe?

I'd like to own one of these permanently... for good. Something that I would only drive in the summer. I have a garage for a car at my summer cottage already. Which, in your opinion, has more potential to become a classic... and how do the Porsche enthusiasts see these two models? 928 was actually the top model of Porsche and at one time (1989) 928 GTS was the fastest street car in the world.

928 would be my choice without any hesitation, but I wonder if more modern construction in 968 would be less risky purchase and cheaper maintenance wise?

Thanks.

I have been driving and racing 911s since 1998. I also had a Cayenne S which was my daily driver for 3 years. There is nothing like a 911. I am an old school guy that only like the air cooled ones. Bottom line any Porsche is AWESOME. Do your research and buy the best one that you can afford.

In my opinion the best years for the 911 (993) are 1995-1998. These are BEST of the last Air cooled engines for the 911s. I recently just purchased a 1997 993 cab and it is AWESOME.

The 928 and 968 are great cars and you can pick them up for a reasonable price. Do your self a favor and look around on the rennlist forum and you will find a tremendous amount of information. http://www.rennlist.com/

Happy hunting. If you want drop me a PM and we can discuss more.

Thanks

Thanks for the Rennlist link. I think I'll be reading some of that tomorrow. :)

Hmm... maybe 911 isn't completely out of question. Maybe I'll send you some questions when I'm actually purchasing one. Thanks for the offer.

PS: How do the Porsche enthusiasts see the 968? Does it have a good reputation?

If you are going to go the route of the 928 try to find yourself an S4 (87~91). You will thank yourself. Out of the 928 family it is the most fun to drive and the best bang for your buck. There is the GTS model but I would think it would be hard to find. Wiki actually has some good info on the 928 model.

Wiki 928

One of my favorites for many years. Good luck with the search.

I have now decided to go with the 928. It's the car I always wanted anyway. I'm going to a test drive next Sunday (928 S4 Automatic). The same guy owns a '90 911, it's for sale too but I'm not too crazy about 911. It's too mundane... kinda like Rolex Submariner. :D

Here's some random 928 eye candy (from the Internet) for you.

68276434.jpg

2ntfy9k.jpg

I had a white 968 CS back in 1993 when it was new and to me it is still the best driver's Porsche I've ever owned or driven. The balance of the chassis and the gearchange were superb and I really miss that car! I will try and find some pics for you my friend!

I have owned 7 different Porsche models over the years including a 928 S4 auto among them and only my current 997 C4S comes close to the 968 for fun and poise!

The 928 was a nice cruising car but not well balanced for spirited driving through tight hairpins!! more suited to driving to the South of France!!

Hope that helps! :victory:

Thanks P.

I've been reading a lot and I've learned that 968 is a fantastic car. CS models are very desirable but pretty tough to find, and they go for premium prices. But in the end, there is no substitute to 928 and the V8 in my eyes. That exhaust sound... you know...

It's just the looks of the "Shark". I don't know how to explain it, really... 928 just speaks to me. I don't like big butts on ladies but it's a different matter with cars. :D

The left one is GTS by the way... this was the 928 model that was able to outperform Ferrari Testarossa. Both on the 0-100 km/h and on track.

dsc08445f.jpg

You have good taste in watches and cars Red. Too bad Scandinavia is pretty far from Missouri. :D

I've been checking mobile.de and the prices of low mileage GTS's have increased a lot in Germany. They're very sought after now. $40K Euros isn't rare for a 1995 model with very low mileage and good service history.

You can find a good and clean S4 for roughly $15K Euros. That's what I'm looking for, not interested in re-sprayed junk that you can find for $10K. I love automatic transmission on a GT tourer like 928 and the S4 performance is enough for me. S4 was able to outperform all 911 models every year back in its production run. 911 Turbo had quicker 0-60 mph though.

s6n9f4.jpg

Thanks for the opinions guys.

I like the 911, a great car indeed... but it's a lot like the Rolex Submariner... a great classic but also very obvious choice. 911 is very garish and a car that screams attention... "PLEASE NOTICE ME!" That's not for me so I've ruled out the 911 and its newer variants.

Both 928 and 968 are less common and more understated. And if you take the 928 and 911 from the same era, 928 will outperform it in every way. People simply don't know how great car it is... 928 is appreciated mainly by the car enthusiasts while 911 would be every Bubba and Luke's first choice.

Maybe this is true for all Porsches, but you know... :D

annasclassicsporschehir.jpg

And besides, the new 911 variants have amazing performance numbers but I don't like the new rear at all. The 1993 model is the last good looking one.

If you want a car for fun and driving excitement the 911 is the better choice (I would go for one between 86-89 when they still had the real sound, also cheaper).

The 928 is a great touring car and inhales miles (and gas) at incredible speed (I remember driving in Germany in the good old days and having the needle 300+ km/h for long periods).

If you get a 928 go for the GTS with the manual (first gear left and down) this baby flies, but I still think the 911 is the more fun car because it's a lot lighter and connects more with you.

Oh I miss my Carrara RS (no AC, no insulation, red nylon strap door openers and all), sometimes it sucks living in a country where the roads are so bad that a Porsche wouldn't make it past the drive way .... :(

BTW - drive careful in the rain: I totaled both cars, each time hydro-planing at speeds well over 200 km/h :)

The 928 is a timeless design. Ever since I saw "Risky Business", I fell in love with the 928!

I was on the hunt for a 928 a while ago. I settled on finding a '90 or '91 GT. I couldn't find a "reasonably" priced GTS at the time since collectors were holding on to them for their rarity.

After researching the cars for about a month, I reluctantly decided that the routine maintenance costs were too much to bear since this car would be a daily driver. I settled on a NSX.

I know...I know...completely different beast entirely, but it turned out to be the best sports car I've ever owned. As far as Porsche, I've had a 996 and Boxster S, but I still rank the NSX above those for comfort, ease of driving, and low cost of maintenance.

For the purists out there, feel free to flame on... :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

There are manual S4's but not that many. 928 GT (1990-1992) came only with manual and it was more popular choice for the GTS (1992-1995), too. I've done my research. :)

Personally, I love the automatic. 928 is a grand tourer like Merc 500SL and BMW 850i, not a pure sports car... although it was always outperforming the 911 during its production run. Automatic wouldn't suit well for a 911, but it's cool on a 928. Just imho.

dsc00732dd.jpg

dsc05587p.jpg

Automatic is always okay in GT's. I guess now is the right time to buy a 928, they'll probably never be as cheap again. The problem is to get all the spec's you want, and then the right color AND in good condition. Take your time and search the field and eventually you'll find yourself a dream car at the price of a rusty Corolla!

This might sound crazy, but given the space, buy two! If the spare parts for old Porsche's is anything like the Mercedes parts, you will be happy to have the complete assortment ready.

Good hunting!