When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 7928 Tudor Submariner

ubiquitous

Ever have one of those days where things just don't go the way you had planned? Today was such a day, and despite some frustrating obstacles, things turned out... well, kind of okay.

The watch in the following pictures was meant to be something else. Here's how it started life:

8987-5180.jpg

Yup, that's my former MBW 1680.

My initial intent was to build my Tudor Submariner from a completely different case, but the dial I received was too small to fit, and hence my dilemma. What to do? Well, not wanting to let something like this get in my way, I promptly tore open my MBW 1680, and found the dial to be a perfect fit for this case; I decided to use it. The following is my newly assembled Tudor Submariner 7928 consisting of:

-New dial

-Genuine Tudor hands (relumed)

-Genuine T-19

-Genuine insert/acrylic pearl

-ETA 2846 21600bph movement :rolleyes:

-MBW case

-Aftermarket hollow link bracelet

-MBW clasp with ungrooved fliplock fitted

And, the finished product...

8987-5181.jpg

8987-5182.jpg

8987-5183.jpg

8987-5184.jpg

8987-5185.jpg

So, it looks like I'm now the market for a new MBW 1680 to finish my other project :blink:

Heehee.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks, gang! I appreciate the kind comments!

This one is bitter sweet for me- I was planning to use the 1680 case for, well, a 1680, and the Tudor was going to get it's own case, built up from scratch. Anyhow... A temporary set back. Not a huge deal.

It's funny... I initially set about wanting to build a nice Tudor Sub after seeing your guys' (being edge and RPS). The kicker for me was when RPS and I were discussing his before purchase. I was smitten by it's simplicity, and strong relation to the 5513. Plus, it's a watch that's not seldom seen, which really appealed to me.

Think I will swap the bracelet out for a rivet band, like your's RPS. it looks especially nice with that combo!

I'll post some pics of the case that I was going to use... :)

Best regards,

Randy

Randy,

The riveted band is prolly the best option for sure, the folded bracelt on my tud is just a touch light for me, the riveted band I have on my 1680 is just the perfect weight for me. Good choice, lovely watch and look forward to seeing what you do when you get round to procuring a new 1680.

Chris

I know that you know ("Euno") I love it!

These Tudors are fantastic watches.

RPS's Tudor makes me wanna jump ship to Oz and attempt to outdrink him.

Edge's Tudor makes me wanna slip into a wet rubber suit and join the French Navy.

Ubi, your Tudor makes me wanna collapse hard onto my hardwood living room floor.

• 5 weeks later...

Mine has a lot of history with it. It was given to me by the man that it was issued to when he graduated from UDT/R. That was the precursor of BUD/S, which is the training you first enjoy on the way to becoming a SEaL.

This is my first attempt at a shadow box and is my office trash can shadow box!

post-1389-1146218671_thumb.jpg

post-1389-1146218683_thumb.jpg

Beautiful watch and fantastic work, Ubi! :thumbsupsmileyanim::wub: Call me silly but I prefer the Tudor version over the MBW 1680.

Very nice Tudors gents. Folks seem to be collecting these fairly aggressively nowdays. Beatiful watches and not too many steps behind their ultra expensive famous vintage brothers.

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Thanks, again fellas!

This Tudor was a lot of fun for me to build. I especially like that it's a little unique for a franken-rep. Not many Tudors out there!

I've been watching the prices for genuine 7928's, 9401/0's and 79090's; they're all gaining in price! Still affordable, but it may not stay that way for long ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...