When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 dial update

Star69

easy fix :whistling:

Yeah but even better without need for fix :(

Now, it is a great deal. Reasonably accurate dial/case without those silly (fake-looking) & misaligned yellow index markers.

+1 Freddy. I think I'll go for one once I find a kind recipient as I cannot receive anything from the far east anymore or they'll put me in jail at the end :black_eye:

Hooray for josh and his factory contacts .. they sorted out this issue as quickly as they could.

Sure thing, very good move of Josh on this one.

Thanks for the efforts!

I really miss that watch allthough I never wore any version I had :bicycle:

Rolex1655_800_43.jpg

Not even this one :blink:

Rolex1655RA_800_61.jpg

Looks better, i think if i get one i would mod the movement so the GMT hand is not adjustable and just follows the hour hand (at 1 rotation per day) it does say it has a silver date wheel but i looks white on the photos to me.

Andy...isn't that a removal of the day gear that now drives the GMT?

Plus, depending on the year of the 1655, it may be hacking, but a slow date adjust, you could fix that too!

The only thing then would be the proper beat...

To stop the GMT hand adjuxting i would glue the slipping gear that drives the GMT hand togehter, that is an easy fix, the beat would be the problem unless some one can tell me if the GMT parts from the 2836 can be transplanted to the 2846 slow date change may also be possibleby removing the crown date adjusting wheel and modding part of the date wheel jumper wheel, any thing is possible with the right will

To stop the GMT hand adjuxting i would glue the slipping gear that drives the GMT hand togehter, that is an easy fix, the beat would be the problem unless some one can tell me if the GMT parts from the 2836 can be transplanted to the 2846 slow date change may also be possibleby removing the crown date adjusting wheel and modding part of the date wheel jumper wheel, any thing is possible with the right will

hhhmmm...I do have a spare 2836 GMT and a spare 2846. I'll have to do some discovery work!!!

What is the greatest weakness of this watch? Would it be the crown position or is that not an issue. I am tempted to get the version with the cheap movement just for the heck of it.

I can only comment on the visuals, though I find the discussion about stopping and removing gears fascinating--and scary! I think the biggest flaw right now is still the hands, particularly the minute hand that extends all the way to the odd-hours markers and the sweep hand with the way-out lollipop. And as much as I appreciate the new dial, I would love to know if aftermarket dials made for 1570s will fit on this.

Also, it needs some CG work and a clear caseback. 8)

I can only comment on the visuals, though I find the discussion about stopping and removing gears fascinating--and scary! I think the biggest flaw right now is still the hands, particularly the minute hand that extends all the way to the odd-hours markers and the sweep hand with the way-out lollipop. And as much as I appreciate the new dial, I would love to know if aftermarket dials made for 1570s will fit on this.

Also, it needs some CG work and a clear caseback. 8)

I bought a Mark II aftermarket dial for 1570 and it fit like a glove into Josh's case. I tried it when I was tinkering around trying gen parts on Josh's case. Love the frog's foot coronet sans the scar I left on the edge and the horrible pic.

DSCN0496.jpg

First, I went through a fury of buying about every 1655 from every vendor when I was on a mission. The "new" Josh 1655 I bought the one with the cheapo asian movement. Then I opened the case and threw away the cheapo asian movement.

I should mention that the dial that comes with these cases are just a skosh wider than the aftermarket 1570 dials. They rest on a little shelf inside the case and fit pretty snug. The aftermarket rested on that shelf but there will have to be some adjustment by someone with more watch skills than I to get perfectly centered.

Also (and I know everyone's aware of this), I'm not sure of the tolerances/standards on these things or if such things even exist. I'm sure there will be watches that will not have the luck I did.

I was reading about the 2836/2846 part swap... I've worked on both and they are pretty much the same movement. Brought a bunch of old 2836's and 2846's back to life with donor parts from both.

I was told that not many of the main parts are swappable because one is a high beat and other a low beat? were you about to swap the balance spring and balance bridge plate?