When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Almost finished 16800

FxrAndy

Some times people give you thing and you really have to build something from it. Well Tribal gave me a 16800 dial one day and i have been trying to make something from it for a while now, but work and other projects have been getting in the way and also i have had a night mare drilling the lug holes in the neeb case (looking for a new case if any one has one) but last night i finaly got it together with the crapo case and insert to see how it would look and i think it looks pretty good aprart from the parts already mentioned

DSCF1626.jpg

with the siblings behind

DSCF1627.jpg

DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1630.jpg

DSCF1629.jpg

The recipe is

Noob case with badly drilled lugs and a mashed insert

swiss 2836

clarke hands Vintageised but not to match the dial (i have seen so many in real life that dont so i wanted this look)

Leather bund type strap (very compfy)

I dont know where the dial is from but it looks good to my amature eyes almost no lume to it either and a capachino texture to the lume

So a big thank you to Tribal for the dial, Stephane for the bug of vintage rolex that i picked up on EU GTG 1 but it took me 2 years to realise i had it, and a big thanks to all for the info that i get here every day.

I think Eurotimes spoke about a drilled case but i am not sure he ever made one, you are right about a better case, i used the noob case because i had it laying round, but i am open to better cases of course if one comes up, I will be drilling the lugs mu self and i dont see as much as a mess up second time round, the big problem was getting the hold started on the sloping surface but i think i have that sorted now by fixing the case so that the case side is flat to start the hole off then reverting to the correct angle when the hole is about 0.5mm deep

Nice job Andy. Certainly finding a case with drilled lugholes , or doing it yourself is the biggest challenge on a 16800.

Omega drilled the holes on my 16800- it's a noob case also. The nice thing about the noob case is the shallower rehaut- it's about the same as a gen 16800 case. The drawback to the noob case is the bezel- it's slightly smaller than a gen bezel so if you fit a gen insert in there, you have to file down the OD of the insert slightly to fit it in there. Instead, I put a watchmaterial pearl in the noob insert, but I may file down a gen insert someday, I've got an old spare one w/ a brown tritium pearl now.

Although WM9 or a V3 Euromariner (which has the lugholes) could be used, you're back to the deep rehaut of a 16610.

Here's my franken on the right and my gen on the left. I spent two years trying to build the franken and finally went out and bought the gen. A month or two later I ran across the noob case from Omega w/ drilled lugholes and it all came together in a couple of weeks after that.

P1000185.jpg

I've got two spare cases you can have if you want :) Not sure which factory they're from, neither has lug etchings, and one might need a new caseback (both need new crowns and tubes...) I can't get them in the post till next friday, but they're yours if they'd be any use to you :)

DSCN3408.jpg

Thanks TJ, i will keep them in mind, i may just go and buy a brand new noob just for the case as i know it all fits together in that case, then i can let you have the movement, dial and bracelet and you can build a new sub.

Oh by the way email on the way to you about another matter.

Thanks TJ, i will keep them in mind, i may just go and buy a brand new noob just for the case as i know it all fits together in that case, then i can let you have the movement, dial and bracelet and you can build a new sub.

Oh by the way email on the way to you about another matter.

No worries, and email responded to :)

• 2 weeks later...

The drawback to the noob case is the bezel- it's slightly smaller than a gen bezel so if you fit a gen insert in there, you have to file down the OD of the insert slightly to fit it in there.

I've got a Noob LV I'm thinking of changing the insert on. Will the Noob case take a Wholesaleoutlet990 or Watchmaterial insert without any filing down? Any other good insert sources for the 16610LV? Thanks.

Edited by permabull

Teejay,if FXRandy doesn't need those cases,i'll gladly have one for modifications and finally creating the watch i really want.I already have a bright green submariner dial and a green bezel insert ;D

Also,i'll find a movement somewhere in my box of spares (-;

Edited by Janek Sarnowski