When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

how times and prices change.....

iceclimber

$210! That's the price I saw on a 5513 or 5512 in the late 60's after watching Thunderball! It was at Sweeney's Jewelry Store here in Houston, Texas. I was 14 or maybe 15 and I actually had the money, but I just couldn't do it because I was afraid it would upset my parents. I ended up buying a Tissot instead- $50. I would wear it on the striped straps- red and black, green and blue- similar to the Natos these days, just w/o all the buckles. Forty years later I finally bought a gen Sub- a 1680!

I paid 500.00 USD for my first Rolex Submariner I believe around 1968. It was brand new and came from Hausman's Jewelers in New Orleans. They were sticklers about list price, wouldn't come off list one cent, but if you had a trade, they would "work with you" on the trade in!I kept that sub for about 5-6 years and wore it every day. I traded it on a SeaDweller. I don't remember ever paying over 1000.00 USD for a Rolex, until I bought a 18k Day Date in 1981. It listed for 4000.00 andI got it, tax included, for around 3200.00.If hindsight were 20/20 I would have a pretty nice little bunch of genuine Rolexes from the late 1960's through the late 80's. Unfortunately, back then they were just nice tool watches (Subs and SD's) Quite a few guys I dove with back then had Subs and SD's. Suprisingly in this part of the world, you never saw a Doxa. I suppose they just weren't that popular here.In the late 80's pretty much everyone was using Seikos. they were cheap, bulletproof and looked pretty nice as well. We sold Chronosport s in our Dive shop, I used up a UDT, sent it back to the folks in Conneticut several times until finally they said "It's worn out"!! Of course by then the prices of Rolex had gotten up to the point the average guy couldn't afford one, and if he could he wouldn't take it diving as they were so expensive (relatively speaking)

That's my "blast from the past"