When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deconstructing the Josh 1655...

chiman12

So to brain check:

1.) New 1655 from Josh can be converted to a 1675

--a.) Takes Gen or Replacement Crystal 25-116

--b.) Takes Gen or Replacement Bezel assembly

2.) Dial size is close enough to possibly shoe in a Gen or NDT/Yuki dial?

3.) Downsize to 5.3m Crown

Only lingering questions are movement options... 21J with Silver overlay, or 2846 w/overlay ???

@frank...the cheapest I found was on ewatchparts and it was a completely assembly (bezel, bezel insert, tension spacer, crystal retaining ring) for about $126.

So...$128(watch) +$126 (bezel assembly)+$130 (dial and hand set) - $40 (sale of 1655parts)...your into it for about $330 all in. Hopefully Josh doesn't put one out before I'm done

:(

@frank...the cheapest I found was on ewatchparts and it was a completely assembly (bezel, bezel insert, tension spacer, crystal retaining ring) for about $126.

So...$128(watch) +$126 (bezel assembly)+$130 (dial and hand set) - $40 (sale of 1655parts)...your into it for about $330 all in. Hopefully Josh doesn't put one out before I'm done

:(

thanks !

still a good price for a 1675 ;) but maybe i should really ask Josh first if he has one comming :)

Chi,

Not to threadjack... but how did you get the bezel off? Have one inbound that I want to swap out the crystal for a Clark, wish I could afford the gen crystal... but have no idea how I will get that bezel off. :whistling:

Thanks!

No worries!

I used a pocket knife blade, made sure it was in the groove between the mid-case and bezel, and gave the blade a whack with a small hobby hammer. Then I worked around prying the bezel off...

Okay...here is how you convert a 2836 GMT into a 2846 GMT and also disable the GMT quick-set function to make the GMT into a 24 hr movement, just like the gen...

Here is a pic of the spare 2836 GMT movement that I will be using...

P1013638.jpg

You need to remove the following to do the conversion:

1. Was the intermediate date wheel, but is converted to the intermediate GMT wheel. This wheel is slaved to the GMT wheel.

2. Date jumper maintaining plate

3. GMT wheel assembly...to be on the safe side, I also removed the cannon pinion and the hour wheel

4. Day corrector, which has been converted to a GMT corrector. The quickset for the GMT function.

You should have all the parts below, including the jumper plate (no pic)

P1013641.jpg

Notice the subtile diffferences of the jumper plate. You must ensure that you use the correct one in order for the plate to clear the intermediate wheel. The top one is the correct one to use. You will notice a pronounced notch is cut out for the intermediate wheel...

P1013642.jpg

Here is the pic of the 2846 that I will be using for the conversion. Pay particular attention to the wheels that are currently in place...

P1013639.jpg

Now to replace all the parts on on the 2846 with GMT parts...

P1013644.jpg

I disabled the quickset function by not installing the GMT corrector. But I did keep the quickset function for the date, for convenience. If you want to disable the date function to make the movement even more accurate, then you would just need to remove the double corrector...it looks like a "star" wheel that is right next to the GMT corrector

Let see if it works...12 noon

P1013645.jpg

...and 6:00 PM or 18:00hrs

P1013646.jpg

...and with a silver date wheel!!!...where's alligoat when you need him???