When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any long term health impact with rep rubber straps?

cougaree

Seems to me there are some many materials to make rubber straps, silicone based vs natural rubber vs some other kind.

What made me starting to think about this topic was that I recently noticed there were warning labels on some of the black rubber stuff sold in the stores. The message is something like this rubber may contain lead or things, birth defect, etc, etc.

My question is should I be worried / cautious about the actual material that makes our favorite watch straps? The rep industries are certainly not bounded with any liabilities.

Any thoughts? Hopefully this is an interesting topic for you.

I thought about that, too... and decided not to wear rep rubber straps anymore. I also don't wear rep leather straps. You just don't know what's in them and what will find it's way through your skin... :yuk:

I do think most of the straps are probably OK, but it's not worth to take the risk imo.

Unless it is your only watch (doubtful) and you wear it 24x7, just rotate accordingly.

Also your wrist does not have any glands that would elevate the potential issue.

Final thought, if you wear regular anti-perspirant/deodorant under your arms (gland under there) or use crap like Axe or Old Spice you run a much higher risk of poisoning your body than with a watch strap.

Hmm... I don't use those neither... :closedeyes:

But, I see your point. I guess what I worried about mainly on the rep rubber since they were not regulated by anybody. It's really up to the rep manufactures. The probably use the cheapest and widely available material they can find. As for the deodorants, I think they are regulated. I mean we won't buy rep deodorants.

Edited by cougaree

you will need a very long term exposure to chemicals from the rubber to be at any risk. Most likely you will develop a rash before any permanent damage will have a chance to take effect.

Your skin is very tough, designed to prevent contamination of your body. Unless you are dealing with radioactive materials or you lick your straps daily chances are you are safe. ;)

When i read something like this i always think "only in the US" i am not sure if this is a myth, but do you have warning labels on bananas telling people to not step on the banana peel because you might slip and that would be harmfull to you ? Or a warning label on the back of tooth pics saying "warning sharp end do not insert into eye"

When i read something like this i always think "only in the US" i am not sure if this is a myth, but do you have warning labels on bananas telling people to not step on the banana peel because you might slip and that would be harmfull to you ? Or a warning label on the back of tooth pics saying "warning sharp end do not insert into eye"

Pretty much-- "this product can result in death or injury, use at your own risk" :bicycle:

This makes me laugh... What we used think was acceptable. Spraying DDT on kids in the 50's makes watch strap toxins look harmless in comparison. :victory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzx2ZyaSbw

Rubber straps are definitely hazardous to your health. Those straps come on dive watches and collecting dive watches will ruin your health and put you in the poorhouse. Trust me on this one!

Dude,

This is not a funny matter. Don't we all want to wear our favorite pieces with good health. I mean will it disturb you a little bit knowing something would harm you... I know we can get into a car accident or fall off stairs at any moment or do some stupid to cause immediate harm, but that still doesn't give permission to not care about the little things.

this is a new can of worms for you; how about alloy's that they use for the watch and or PVD? that is direct contact skin-metal, metal is abrasive and has more impact to the skin then rubber straps. do we know what is really in the "iron". i know one thing; rep 316 steel isnt as half hard as real one. they are saying that but in real life materials used in reps are way softer. i am jeweler and not a technologist but i know what i know and something is fishy in rep alloys. i would be more afraid of titanium rep case if i was in your place.

most health issues will come from people handling the manufacturing not by wearing it. Again you will have a rash before any health effects happen. Relax and enjoy your watches.

I don't think you will necessarily develop a rash before anything happen. For example, birth control patches don't develop a rash, yet the chemical gets observed into your body. Some of them have been proven to be harmful.

this is a new can of worms for you; how about alloy's that they use for the watch and or PVD? that is direct contact skin-metal, metal is abrasive and has more impact to the skin then rubber straps. do we know what is really in the "iron". i know one thing; rep 316 steel isnt as half hard as real one. they are saying that but in real life materials used in reps are way softer. i am jeweler and not a technologist but i know what i know and something is fishy in rep alloys. i would be more afraid of titanium rep case if i was in your place.

Metal? That's interesting. I thought they are more stable than rubber... I'm no chemist, I could be totally off base. I certainly don't want anything that has lead in it at least.

Goggling around reveals:

Metal is the worst

Silicon is considered non-toxic

Nato/Mesh straps of fabric also appear safe.

Mystery Rubber is anyones guess.

...and your water supply is probably more toxic than all of the above. ;)

Notes:

Italian Rubber Deployant Watch Strap

Model: IT111

Very high quality rubber military strap from Italy used in some of the best Swiss watches today. These substantial rubber straps are reversible for either a dressy or sporty look on your watch. The rubber used to make these bands is anti-allergic and non-toxic as declared by the FDA. The colors are resistant to ultraviolet rays as well. A great feature of this band is that you can adjust and cut it for that perfect fit!* The stainless steel deployant buckle with push button release and flip-lock clasp is best I have used.

Silicone watch band

Watch band 1. 100% high grad silicone, eco-friendly and non-toxic.

Toxic Metal Avoidance

Summary: Wear no jewelry where metal touches the skin. Use enamel coated or glass cookware for long term use. Use lexan utensils when possible.

Many metals are necessary in small amounts for health, like nickel, iron, copper, etc. However, this is only if the metal is in a form which is absorbable and usable by the body (trivalent vs hexavalent, e.g.). Otherwise, it is treated as a toxin, and removed by the white blood cells. If the elimination of that particular substance is somehow hampered, as when the kidneys are full of crystals and stones or the liver is compromised, it can accumulate in certain parts of the body. This may lead to compromised immune function in those areas and leave them more vulnerable to chronic parasitic or bacterial infection, as well as cause the cells to absorb less nutrients and oxygen, possibly increasing cancer risk.

If one wears a watch, thin clear plastic film or tape can be used to coat the metal back to prevent it from touching the skin or better yet get one of the widely available watchbands (like at WalMart) where the nylon webbing runs behind the watch. If one works with tools a lot, rubber coating is available into which to dip tool handles.

I don't think you will necessarily develop a rash before anything happen. For example, birth control patches don't develop a rash, yet the chemical gets observed into your body. Some of them have been proven to be harmful.

you are talking about a patch that was engineered to deliver chemicals thru the skin. That's a totally different ball game.

If one wears a watch, thin clear plastic film or tape can be used to coat the metal back to prevent it from touching the skin or better yet get one of the widely available watchbands (like at WalMart) where the nylon webbing runs behind the watch.

I'd say wearing anything from Walmart would fall in the category of chemical filled reps or worse ;)

Hmm, not sure... I mean there ARE regulations for import and products ARE exmanined if they come into the country by legal ways - at least here in Germany. Reps however are examined by noone and the factories have no regulations to obey.

There was a great thread on RG where someone had examined the metal in different rep watches with scientific methods. Can't find it unfortunately...

Right, so we shouldn't wear metal or rubber straps, or leather if it has been treated in some way, and we shouldn't use deodorant or antiperspirant so should stink and have sopping wet arm pits... :bangin:

How exactly are we supposed to live in this life?? lol

I simply couldn't not wear antiperspirant - unlike some people in this life who seem to come off the running machines with barely a bead of sweat on them, I'm a sweaty bastard!! :lol: