When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor "Jumbo" Prince Oysterdate

jmb

I think there are some here that think I'm in a 34mm rut! I have came to appreciate the facts - 34mm watches are comfortable and don't present such a big target when in the shop working around somewhat nasty machinery... But, far be it for me to fall into a rut so here is my latest project.

I had scarfed up three of these dials because of the coloring and the nice brownish patina in the center of the dial. I was really excited when they were received then I found that, at over 30mm, I had no cases they would fit into! :( Along came LHOOQ to the rescue with a Jumbo Tudor case that he figured he could live without - Thanks, M!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I took M's case, my gen dial, a rep band, and an NOS ETA 2846 movement and finally got caught up enough today to assemble it. I wasn't really wild about the crystal so just for grins I tried on the sapphire Tudor Prince Date Chrono crystal I had bought (and discovered was too big for a rep Daytona case) from Mr. Slimeball and to my surprise it fit like a glove!! But, this necessitated yet another bezel project. I found that the bezel was almost 1.5" diameter and the biggest 316 stock I had was 1 7/16" so I started with a 2" chunk of 303 Stainless and whittled one out this morning.

I really would like to find a plexi crystal big enough but the sapphire will do for now. The only thing that looks way off is the too short Datejust hands so I will need to start searching for some longer hands, or maybe a set of longer Dauphine style hands.

One last detail that was added (feeding my non-conformist side) is a "roulette" date wheel - I think they are way cool! ;)

Jumbo POD 2.JPG

Jumbo POD 3.JPG

Jumbo POD 4.JPG

Jumbo POD 5.JPG

Jumbo POD 6.JPG

Jumbo POD 7.JPG

Jumbo POD 8.JPG

Here is a shot comparing the 38mm "Jumbo" with the 34mm standard Prince Oysterdate:

comparo 1.JPG

Chiman, I would love to but this was the only case M had and the person he got the case from had none left. :( Also, after some research it seems the 25-126 crystal is somewhat of a rarity so I may have to "live with" the sapphire crystal... :angry:

Damn, that's big watch! :)

I desperately wanted to turn that case into a 1019 Milgauss, but the dial would've slid right through the aperture. I can barely recognize it now that it's topped off with sapphire and a new bezel, but it's gorgeous. The flat sides go great with the flat crystal, and the Tudor bracelet completes the look. I hope you find a few more Jumbo cases out there, and give your gen dials new homes.

M: What IS it with those crown-side bulges?

M, I don't have much hope finding any more cases as you apparently got the last one! I may just flog the other two dials and be done with it... But, I really do appreciate you parting with this case. :-)

Thanks JoJo, a compliment from you is always welcome!

After conferring with LH, and looking at gen pics, there will be rev. 2 of this with the longer hands, a 25-124 crystal, and a much larger bezel which actually hides the end-link to case interface and the "bulge". If this cyclops is in the wrong spot on the 25-124 I'll just grind it off and if it is a "flat" crystal I'll epoxy on a glass magnifier. Feedback from Gary is that he does not carry the 25-126 crystal and he knows of no one who does.