When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project Log 1655

grifter

Hello all, thought I'd post here what I've been up to..

My first attempt at a watch mod/build.

Bought the new 1655 from Joshua. Took it apart and started ordering parts.

First thing I did was swap the crystal with a gen 116

datmagcomp.jpg

Then I got a new dial and aged (baked) the hands.

IMG_0120.jpg

I aged the bracelet and clasp.

IMG_0160.jpg

I installed a new tube and crown.

IMG_0127.jpg

Then I put her all together.

1655build3allin.jpg

I was happy but I noticed the case was a different shape from the gen photos I used for inspiration.

1655casetrim1.jpg

I shaped the case so the sides dissapear into the 4, 8, 16, and 20.

mine

1655casetrimdone.jpg

gen

1655-17.jpg

While taking out the movement to reshape the case, I must have gotten some silicone grease on my glove... I took some of the lettering off the dial. Then I broke the stick seconds hand.. then I broke the keyless works... then I snapped the tube... LMAO I'm doing more harm than good so now I've handed this off to a pro to finish. I will post pics once I get her back.

Lots of valuable lessons were learned on this project. I will continue to try builds, way too much fun! Thanks for looking.

Lots of valuable lessons were learned on this project. I will continue to try builds, way too much fun! Thanks for looking.

I like where you were headed & look forward to seeing pics of the completed watch (when you receive it back). It is always best to practice on junk before turning your sights on a new/coveted piece. But, as you say, this is how all of us learn. Keep up the great work. :good:

p.s. It is best to place hands on aluminum foil & locate the foil in the center of your oven. This tends to disperse the heat & reduce the likelihood of burning the hands.

I like where you were headed & look forward to seeing pics of the completed watch (when you receive it back). It is always best to practice on junk before turning your sights on a new/coveted piece. But, as you say, this is how all of us learn. Keep up the great work. :good:

p.s. It is best to place hands on aluminum foil & locate the foil in the center of your oven. This tends to disperse the heat & reduce the likelihood of burning the hands.

Nice, great advice! I will do this in the future!

Thanks!!

Nice, learning by doing is the best way to learn. And with so delicate things it will take a few broken (watch!) hands...

Looking forward to your next experiment, I really like illustrated modding threads, not just the final result!

The gen crystal made a big difference!

/Furu

No better way to learn than to just jump in head first and get your hands dirty!

Well done! I think you should keep going on this one instead of handing it over to someone else to finish. Cause when it is completed, you'll have a whole lot more satisfaction and pride in the work done which will be evident everytime you look down at your wrist!

Keep up the good work!

Very nice work :good: As mentioned above, you'll feel so much more satisfaction if you complete the project and fix the issues yourself, rather than sending it out to someone else :) There's nothing in this hobby as satisfying as being able to look down at your wrist, and think "I built that!" :drinks:

Thanks all!

I've already shipped it over to a pro. He's a great modder and someone I really look up to as far as ability and his builds. This being my first mod/build, I feel I went a little over my head. Now I'm learning all I can about movements and taking them apart and putting them back together. I'm also starting to source and research parts for another couple of builds! LOL what can I say? I'm addicted!

I'll post a project log once I begin!

I took some of the lettering off the dial. Then I broke the stick seconds hand.. then I broke the keyless works... then I snapped the tube... LMAO I'm doing more harm than good....

HA HA HA :black_eye:

Thats awesome! Trust me bro thats how I learned too. We've all been there. And yes I agree, nice work on the case shaping.