When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GQ's Argument FOR Vintage

freddy333

Freddy,

Yes, it's indisputable. I guess I have to expound a bit on what I meant by this. Vintage everything is at its peak in popularity, it permeates every cultural medium and is rapidly becoming a consumer "must have" with pretentious tw4ts lining up to raid salvation army stores and antique shops for vintage levis, cowboy boots, old tin toys, desk clocks, pocket watches, vintage rolexes, etc. And what they may lack in knowledge they more then make up for with persistence and numbers, like crows looking for shiny things.

:tu: I couldn't agree more! Except for the part about everything trumping stainless, that is. A vintage watch must show evidence of being used, not just a safe queen. I say stainless steel watches are the work horses, hence more desirable IMHO.

:tu: I couldn't agree more! Except for the part about everything trumping stainless, that is. A vintage watch must show evidence of being used, not just a safe queen. I say stainless steel watches are the work horses, hence more desirable IMHO.

I would agree with that. Being in a safe is no life for a watch...

I agree with the sentiment but I strongly disagree with some details, for example - yellow gold most certainly does not "trump" steel. I wouldn't be taking any watch buying advice from that joker :bangin:

Fully agree and i belive that a year ago an SS Patek took the record price at auction

Whooooaaaaaa there is some SERIOUS depth to the "vintage" bench in this ball club. You guys have some sweet pieces! :tu:

Freddy, I've wracked my brain and can't suss it out. What's with the wheel in the photo with your Turn-O-Graph? I could see you removing bits to turn a GMT movement into an engine for the TOG, but you're also showing an A260, so that's not it. Spill please?

Freddy, I've wracked my brain and can't suss it out. What's with the wheel in the photo with your Turn-O-Graph? I could see you removing bits to turn a GMT movement into an engine for the TOG, but you're also showing an A260, so that's not it. Spill please?

The A.260 -- with all of its parts in their correct locations -- powers the Turn-O-Graph & the wheel.......................just for decoration. :drinks:

The question I was expecting was 'Why the dauphine hand on the 1036GMT movement?' (Answer - When I completed the conversion, I needed a hand to check the new movement's time-keeping accuracy & that was the only hand I had available that fit the caliber.)

Ahhhh, I knew that was the reason for the Dauphine, no mystery there. I was just remembering back about a year ago you were sourcing all gen parts to allow you to build that 1036 up. I thought the wheel was an offhand reference to the "built (literally) from scratch" method to your madness.