When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The deal of the Millenium?

Nanuq

I don't know precisely why this auction ended, but this is a mil-spec version of the 6538. It's engraved on the back and appears correct. The auction reads like the seller truly had no idea what it was, and his local jeweler told him it's worth "around £500." :shock: He gave that reply when someone asked him about a "buy it now" price. Now the auction is ended. :shock:

This may be the Deal of the Millenium, gents.

Rolex A/6538

The photos were still up last night, and showed what appeared to be a 1520 or 1530 movement (no butterfly rotor) and the caseback engravings he listed. It also had a bizarre Twinlock-signed crown, about twice as wide as usual, with very long shoulders leading down from the knurling. The tube was almost as big as the knurling. Perhaps a machined down 8mm? I'm certain it was not a Brevet crown.

As with all vintage Rolex, it only creates more questions, and answers none.

If it was a gen then thst would not be a bad estimate, a 5517 recently sold for $65000 in the UK

And if I remember correctly, there were a handful of A/6538s made ... I believe 21 of them.

Almost as rare as my Doxa! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Back engravings on the Ebay listing were in a different format, and his had the circle-T dial. Plus, in the one ugly shot of his coronet, it's just nasty.

I call fake! :thumbdown:

Although I couldnt say on the watch itself

Considering the bidding and his feedback comments and items if it was I dont think the guy was trying to sell it as one

Yikes look at that crown!! WOW what a crappy redial. He'd probably get more $$ if he just threw the dial away and sold the watch as parts. Maybe someone pointed out the flaws and still offered him way more than his reserve price. Funny how Rolex told him it was worth $500. nice to see they know nothing about vintage Rolex... OR they didnt want to work on it because of all the crappy aftermarket parts on it (ie crown, dial etc)