When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is a Rolex Case back opener really needed to open Rolexes?

Prsist

Everyone talks about the need for a Rolex caseback opener, I have used a stick ball and a cheap generic opener and have never had a problem. Am I damaging something by not using a Rolex caseback opener? I never plan on getting any of my reps near water and if I wanted some sort of water resistance I would have it done by a fora repairman.

The last three pieces I had serviced at watchmakers, I've been able to remove the backs with Gorilla tape, and each passed pressure tests after their servicing.

You just gotta be motivated sufficiently. ;)

The last three pieces I had serviced at watchmakers, I've been able to remove the backs with Gorilla tape, and each passed pressure tests after their servicing.

You just gotta be motivated sufficiently. ;)

Can you close a case back too tight? Destroy a gasket?

There was old rule from when I used to build race cars. (Ahhh the SCCA days). If it was not a "torque" wrench required fastener--

Tighten to a positive stop, + a 1/4 turn.

NOTE: The above applies to cars not watches, but with experience you can use a similar logic.

For me with watch bits--

Tighten to a positive stop, + an hour turn. (hour turn in my mind is - if you stop/bottom with your screwdriver blade at 12:00 & 6:00, turn tight to 1:00 & 7:00) ~make sense?

I would use the same logic with a case back. Maybe going out "2 hours" for tightness.

Well said, Ronin. Remember that accurate torque settings are achieved with thread lube. It's a fine thing in my book to "accidentally" get some silicon gasket lube on the caseback threads as it screws on.

Most people don't know it, but a fastener is simply a spring that gets stretched slightly. You tighten it to achieve a small amount of elastic deformation in the fastener. When it's overtightened you get plastic deformation and the fastener is permanently stretched and ruined. In the case of watch backs, probably the threads will be ruined. Same with delicate crown threads.

I cannot get a caseback screwed on tight enough with Gorilla tape to damage the gasket or threads, but I can easily get it tight enough to pass 3 bar of pressure test. By-Tor could probably accomplish 50 bar.

"There was old rule from when I used to build race cars. (Ahhh the SCCA days). If it was not a "torque" wrench required fastener--

Tighten to a positive stop, + a 1/4 turn."

Imho...the relax factory and most relax mechanics tighten casebacks too tight just to keep people out of them. After all, they are just squeezing a piece of greasy rubber.

Around here, we go by the 'Good Ole Boy Rule':

Tighten it 'till it gets easy...then back it off half a turn. :animal_rooster: