When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

takumee

hi all,

is it better to get in your best opinion to get from:

1. PT 1665 white and change to MBK dial

will the new MBK dial date window not align and fit the slower eta from PT?

or

2. MBK 1665 white and swap with a slower eta

will the PT slower eta fit into the MBK case?

i do not wish to invest on a gen 1570 yet I want to have the best budget 1665

appreciate fellow gurus to comment.

thanks

Edited by takumee

I went for the second option.

MBW case, 2846 and hands from the PT, Bezel insert and bracelet from PT.

I had wanted to use the PT date wheel as well but the alignment wasn't quite right with my MBW dial.

DSCN4591.jpg

that is a NICE one shawn. agreed start with a good case, PT engravings are incorrect and horrendous

BEAUTIFUL!

4614491740_6b76c418c0.jpg

If I were starting a project like this :whistling: I would find a MBW watch /case ,preferably and older one. Then all you need to do is find a 2846-2 movement, Silver flat 3 datewheel, a genuine or better insert /pearl. genuine crown and if not a genuine superdome T-39, a Clark superdome . Put that all together and you are going to have a really, really nice 1665 SD. I have nothing against the PT vintage watches, but for a modding platform, the MBW will present fewer problems down the road when you try to start fitting genuine and good aftermarket parts.

I went with the first option, a PT 1665 and installed an MBW dial. The datewheel isn't perfect, 2/3's of the days are ok, and the 20's are a little left. I had jmb fab up a new crystal retention ring also. When you try to fit a gen/aftermarket crystal on there, the nylon gasket gets trashed out and the ring is too big. But the new ring from jmb did the trick and I was even able to pass the WR test- good for swimming and watersports.

gen crown and aftermarket tube

aftermarket domed crystal

jmb crystal retention ring

MBW dial

P1000285-2-1.jpg

here's a side shot of the crystal I installed, it's a G&S PA462-67A for the 1665, don't know if they still make it or not

P1000287.jpg

All in all, I'm happy with the watch as a $400 beater. The crown guards could use a little more trimming, but I guess I'm saving that for a rainy day!

I went with the first option, a PT 1665 and installed an MBW dial. The datewheel isn't perfect, 2/3's of the days are ok, and the 20's are a little left. I had jmb fab up a new crystal retention ring also. When you try to fit a gen/aftermarket crystal on there, the nylon gasket gets trashed out and the ring is too big. But the new ring from jmb did the trick and I was even able to pass the WR test- good for swimming and watersports.

gen crown and aftermarket tube

aftermarket domed crystal

jmb crystal retention ring

MBW dial

here's a side shot of the crystal I installed, it's a G&S PA462-67A for the 1665, don't know if they still make it or not

All in all, I'm happy with the watch as a $400 beater. The crown guards could use a little more trimming, but I guess I'm saving that for a rainy day!

How does one contact MBW to get one of those dials?

the dials are awesome! better than Yukis even and nowhere near yukis prices

4614492360_f15f8f3c47.jpg

You might be able to find a used one here on the forum. Quite a few folks here have upgraded to genuine dials and or better dials and the old MBw dials are sitting in their parts box. I should have a DRSD MBW dial in a few weeks as i'm converting my 1665 to a genuine movement and a better dial. Put a "want to buy" in the Tools,parts forum and see what comes up. Also someone here was getting a few MBW 1680,s and 1665's a few months back. i believe they were going to China and were going to bring some back for members who preordered. I can't remember who it was, but some of the other members might be able to give you more information.

Also someone here was getting a few MBW 1680,s and 1665's a few months back. i believe they were going to China and were going to bring some back for members who preordered. I can't remember who it was, but some of the other members might be able to give you more information.

i find that interesting to say the least

i find that interesting to say the least

I believe it was rolexfinder. I understand he lives in Bankok and has access to the MBW watches there. I may be totally wrong, but it rings a bell. That may have been a one time deal as well, it's been a while back, and I remember reading the posts that there was a source for the MBW watches.

having read all your comments, guess i have pulled the wrong trigger.

i should just get a mbk 1665 and not a pt 1665.

so for a mbk 1665, i suppose right now can only get from rolexfinder ya?

are these the newer mbk case that can accept genuine movement or even the slower eta from the pt1665?

what you think of this combo now?

get the mbk 1665 and pt1665, only use the movement from pt1665 and drop it into the mbk.

or just get phong case and yuki's dial now.

will the datewheel have any alignment problem both both?

also total cost would be around usd220 + usd 480 = usd700

any brothers here have done this attempt?

also who can i trust to have this swap assignment?

thanks for all valuable inputs.

Edited by takumee

Phong cases are like $1400. If you have the dough, go for it but i wouldnt bother unless you are looking to fit a gen movement. If you are using ETA then i would go with the MBW case and dial, with PT movement and datewheel.

dizz

Phonic cases are like $1400. If you have the dough, go for it but i wouldnt bother unless you are looking to fit a gen movement. If you are using ETA then i would go with the MBW case and dial, with PT movement and datewheel.

dizz

i would compare using a phong case with 2846-2 movement to putting a VW beetle engine in a Porsche 911 :yuk: . You an do it, but what do you have when you get finished. Some of the more experienced modders on the forum have stated in previous posts, that if you are going to do serious modding, you need to establish some sort of cost/value ratio to determine how far you can go. As and example, a fairly decent white letter Rolex 1680 can be had for around 4500.00 USD, give or take a few hundred. A white SD 1665 goes up a fair amount, to 9-11k. Possibly you may find one cheaper, but not usual. So if you use a cost/value ratio of say 20%,, in other words, I'm not going to spend more than 20% of the average cost of a genuine to build a franken, you could afford to spend around 900.00 USD on the 1680 and around 2k on the 1665. Most folks were using a figure from 10-20 % which I would consider pretty logical. Although at 10%, you aren't going to be able to do too much to the 1680. That's why no one around here is slapping a genuine 3135 movement in their WM9/BK 16610 Submariners. The watch alone is around 600-700 USD (when you can find one) and a movement is probably going to cost you at least 1500.00, so when you add a genuine bezel/insert, hands,crown /tube, you are over the price of a good used genuine, which can be had for around 3-3.5k. Doesn't make much sense to build a franken or super franken that is more than the genuine watch.

So basically, the more expensive and rare the genuine, the more you can afford to spend building a super franken.

i would compare using a phong case with 2846-2 movement to putting a VW beetle engine in a Porsche 911 :yuk: . You an do it, but what do you have when you get finished.

Good point, but I think a more accurate comparison would installing a VW Beetle engine into a Caterham 7 body (repro of Lotus Super 7), since Phong's case is not gen.

I cannot rationalize the cost of Phong's cases since they are not gen & I can usually get either a used gen or DW/Yuki aftermarket case for 1/3 to 1/4 Phong's price. Although the latter cases are not 1:1 matches with Phong's case, neither is Phong's a 1:1 match with the gen. ;)

And just to fine-tune the point, my double-red (all gen except for the mid-case that came from my old $400 MBW & aftermarket modded dial, which, with reluming cost me about $400) & white '42 (all gen except for dial & insert, both of which cost me about $450) have been inspected, closely, by 2 knowledgeable, old-timer Rolex watchmakers & neither found any aftermarket parts in either watch. :whistling:

3s0022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

red3065420032__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

...So if you use a cost/value ratio of say 20%,, in other words, I'm not going to spend more than 20% of the average cost of a genuine to build a franken, you could afford to spend around 900.00 USD

Haha My gen tritium NOS white sub dial in my MBW is $900. Cant build much of a franken 1680 for $900 im afraid. Maybe an MBW with Gen crown and tube,and a gen 93150 bracelet if you shop around for good deals.. I definatly wouldnt spend $4500 building a 1665 either... in a few years when the hype or demand wears off, they will be the same price as the 1680's and you can get them for $4500 all day long. I kinda price it on what it is, and not what collectors are pushing the prices too. Look at the daytonas, a few years ago you couldn't find one for less than $10,000 and now they are down to $8000 and lower... Saw a decent 16520 sell on VRF for $7950 obo.

I also wouldnt build a franken of a $50,000 vintage either as anyone who knows Rolex will scream fake no matter what. Thats is unless you pull up in your Ferrari F430... But most of us cant pull that off. I know I cant.

dizz

I guess if I want to kept mu budget below 10%, I can only opt for pt slow eta into a mbk case.

Any other better ways?

buy the movement a la carte $70 max, you can even find some serviced ones for that price.

i just bought a 2879 off ebay for less than $20. better build quality than the 2846 with an actual regulator adjuster, slow beat too, confirmed fits MBK case

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

You might be able to find a used one here on the forum. Quite a few folks here have upgraded to genuine dials and or better dials and the old MBw dials are sitting in their parts box. I should have a DRSD MBW dial in a few weeks as i'm converting my 1665 to a genuine movement and a better dial. Put a "want to buy" in the Tools,parts forum and see what comes up. Also someone here was getting a few MBW 1680,s and 1665's a few months back. i believe they were going to China and were going to bring some back for members who preordered. I can't remember who it was, but some of the other members might be able to give you more information.

I hate every single one of Vintage Rolex lovers. ;) When i first started researching the 1665 I was happy, now because of you guys I can tell the difference b/w the PT (which I was happy with) and MBW dial. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What kind on modding is required to fit it into a PT case? Would filing the date window open more solve the issue?

Opening the date window on the PT makes a huge difference. It would be a lot less work to swap in a better dial if you can.

I was referring to the date window on the MBW dial. I thought someone said the PT date wheel is a little off when the MBW dial is used. I guess opening up the windows helps? Or makes it too large?

There is something wrong with the date windows on the PT?

I had to laugh about the VW engine in a 911...You may remember that the 1st 911 came accross as a 912 w/a356 engine which was a 4banger, rather similar to the Bug engine! I know the earlier suggestion related to retrofitting....When I was a college student I had an elderly 356 which was not in very good order & had a an engine failure! The rebuild bill was $1250 which I was not even close to affording. The shop owner took me under his wing & offered me a 1200VW engine for $350 which would bolt right in. Of course I went for the huge savings & the shop ended up w/ my failed engine which I'm sure the next guy bought for plenty!That was a long time ago & a number of those great cars later!

Regards, mcotter