When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 1680 Sub on Josh's Site?

prdubis

Those "new" ones seem to have a correct bezel construction...

so they say, but if theyre like the PT 1665 you still need a special ring for the crystal.

from my observation they need lug drilling, and proper end links.

it also has "open 9 and 6" :)

wonder what kind of case tube is installed

only one way to find out! someone buy it!

i am curious about the bracelet but i cant see any clear pictures of the clasp. if i had to guess id say this is the same factory as the PT

For roughly $200 you are getting a case (that needs mods), and a hollow mid bracelet that is OK. You have a high-beat ETA clone which is wrong as well. A dial, crown and insert that IMHO need replaced.

If these "Jumbo" crowns are the same on the PT 1665, then the tube will accept a Gen crown.

how do they compare to the mbw??? is it a good starting point for modding?

out of the box wear it may be good, but if youre going for modding, for less than the $200 asking price you can get an MBK case which you KNOW fits gen parts and has the lug holes in the correct spot. bracelet unknown (endlinks are wrong) but the rest of the watch youd be swapping out all the parts anyways, might as well start with a good case. in the long run for the modder this watch may cost more than starting with the better MBK which i can personally say fits a gen dial and others have even fit a gen movement.

I had a quick look at the 5513 and it seemed to have a better crown height than the mbw which has the crown too low. And the crown guards didn't look too bad either. But I agree, you still need a new dial, new hands, and a new crystal. If the crown is bad you need a new one also and why not a new tube to go with it... Vintage projecs usually are expensive, especially if you mix in gen parts.

By the way, where do I find an MBW case under $200?

I had a quick look at the 5513 and it seemed to have a better crown height than the mbw which has the crown too low. And the crown guards didn't look too bad either. But I agree, you still need a new dial, new hands, and a new crystal. If the crown is bad you need a new one also and why not a new tube to go with it... Vintage projecs usually are expensive, especially if you mix in gen parts.

By the way, where do I find an MBW case under $200?

crown height on the MBKs arent actually that bad

observe

4844764844_ee5ea27fab.jpg

Its interesting, but it seems as though he has the 5512 and 5513 reversed. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I always under the impression that the 5512 was meters first and the 5513 was feet first?

Red-

There was meters first and then feet first for 5513's; meters first came earlier in production and feet first then superseded.

5512 is a chronometer rated no-date model whereas the 5513 is not. That is the major difference between those models. most 5512s have a dial that indicates the Chronometer status, but earlier examples (like the gilt dials) may not (some do).

I actually think the dial is fairly decent- I like the open 6's in 660 and the 6 and 9 markers aren't too narrow. Crown needs to be swapped out and the cg's need work, but that's par for the course. End links need to be swapped out and the insert is certainly better than those god awful MBW inserts! Lugholes might be too small but it's hard to tell from a pic. If it accepts gen parts, it will be fine.

For $200 you can't complain.

Ordered mine today, this watch has a gigantic crown..post-4125-0-09805400-1291780049.jpgpost-4125-0-77248000-1291781332.jpg

Gen seems large too. I didn't notice it in the pics at first but now I see.. Hopefully it will accept gen parts. Here's the pics the vendor sent me.

the crown is too large, and the crown guards are too short, it'll never look right because of the cgs. the gen in the picture has a 702 crown strong beveling makes it look larger than it really is, youd most likely end up with a 703 since a gen 702 tube is impossible to get.

IMO youd replace the insert on both the MBK and this new one. gen inserts snaps in on the mbk perfectly and sits recessed. dial is better than the 5513 MBK stock one from what i can see. lug holes seem to be a bit high, and will probably need widening

4906750025_bd8d53e4f9.jpg

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

youd have to fit a 702 tube and crown to achieve that, is it really worth the headache?

LOL no. I'm just going to add the watch to my collection. I think its still a neat watch. Not accurate. But looks to be a nicely made watch.

Edited by tonyp1