When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Maybe the last of it's kind? Mrs. Ubi's 6263 with working mystery movement!

ubiquitous

Mrs. Ubi got this as a Christmas present from a very dear and close friend of ours; a beautiful exotic dialed 2 reg. Mystery Movement DW 6263 with gen 25-21 crystal and a 24-703/24-7030 installed (not to mention a replication of the 3CROC so-called Mayer dial *snicker*... One of DW's earlier dials...). Interestingly enough, the movement is signed '234' under the balance (which I need to grab some pics of the next time I have it uncased).

This was one of DW's first 6263's from several years back; I had originally purchased this in 2006, and it then went on to my friend who had owned it since. I had recently completed my own 6265 franken project, complete with V72, gen dial, hands, crystal, etc. which Mrs. Ubi had been eyeing since completion so I offered to start collecting parts to do another V72 for her when my good friend had stepped in and offered the DW as a Christmas gift. What a present! When it showed up, Mrs. Ubi didn't know what to say!

So, here it is... Just a few pics for now. When I have more time, I'll snap a few more and post. I figure this might bring back memories to some of the old school guys that had these 'relics' as well :)

IMG_9720.jpg

IMG_9579.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg

And with my V72 franken...

IMG_9733.jpg

A sincere thank you to my pal, W.E.!

Cheers and best,

//ubi

Very nice, Ubi. Do you remember the discussion years ago about the "version 1" and "version 2" cases? Mrs. Ubi has the original version-1 case, which to my eye is the better.

Nicely done!

I know which one I'd pick, but they're both beautiful watches. Will Mrs. Ubi be wearing hers on leather?

On a side note, I have to say that the DW 6239 case is finished very well, in contrast to his current 6263, well-known for its sharp edges and, er, variable dimensions.

Thanks, gang for the kind words! ^_^ Mrs. Ubi loves it... But has yet to wear it. I offered to get a croc strap for it, but she wants an oyster, so it looks like I'll be on the hunt for a clean one (though I'll have to whack a permanent link or two from it to fit her wrist).

A wristie will definitely be in order! But maybe I need to swap the dial to something a little less... Ostentatious?

Hmmmm....

She should be proud, That's a really nice Daytona, actually I like hers better than yours. But then she is much better looking than you!!! I have to agree with her, I like it better on and Oyster. I don't know why, maybe it's just some sort of crazy preception on my part, but i have never liked Rolex watches on leather! That's strange, because to me some chronographs, such as Breitlings just seem to be made for leather, but not Rolex.

She should be proud, That's a really nice Daytona, actually I like hers better than yours. But then she is much better looking than you!!! I have to agree with her, I like it better on and Oyster. I don't know why, maybe it's just some sort of crazy preception on my part, but i have never liked Rolex watches on leather! That's strange, because to me some chronographs, such as Breitlings just seem to be made for leather, but not Rolex.

A-

You are absolutely correct! Mrs. Ubi is far nicer to look at than I am :) However, I do have to admit that I'm a bit more partial to my own 6265, if only for the time and parts that I have into it (and not just my own, but plenty of Zig's time as well getting that movement overhauled) :)

None the less, it's always nice to look at her Daytona in the watch box. It's definitely a nice looking piece!

Nice, Ronin! Looks like you picked up one of the Alligoat Albino dials!

You know... It's kinda funny that you mention that. She expressed interest in the red/cream white exotic dial...

I suppose it might be rather fun to do. If I can find a good example of one...

DW used to sell both flavors of red exotic, but Chi is the only guy I know who was gutsy enough to buy one!

They're nice looking dials, but I'm not sure how accurate they are to the gens. :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...