When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project 1016

ubiquitous

Along side my 1665 Sea-dweller project, I decided to kick off 2011 with a 1016 project as well, largely inspired by LHOOQ's 1016 builds.

1st step was to procure a dial. Happened upon this gen frog foot coronet dial:

IMG_9749.jpg

IMG_9766.jpg

IMG_9750.jpg

And a 1601 case (lug holes drilled for gen 2mm springbars):

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

Gen 24-600

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Test fit:

IMG_0143.jpg

And crystal fitted:

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

More to come...

Cheers,

//ubi

This is going to be amazing. LHOOQ is going to be excited too!!! He loves him some 1016! (and rightfully so).

They're OK, but the way some people fawn and obsess over them is a bit off-putting... :p

I'm dying here, since my workplace firewall is blocking all pictures. Ubiquitous + 1016 is something I desperately want to see, and I can only imagine the final product being finished to R's exacting standards. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm already very curious as to how you can drill 2mm holes into a 1601 without "coloring over the lines". Have you decided on a movement yet?

Ubi I hate you....

:drool:

I was thinking the same thing.. gen case set, yuki dial and yuki 7602 rivet. What a beautiful watch. I have two gen datejusts with ETA movements and I was thinking of turning one into a 1016. I think you have inspired me to do just that!

dizz

Thanks for the kind words, gang. This project just kind of spun up from out of no where... Another result of an impulse buy when the gen dial turned up for sale. When I saw the dial, I couldn't think of anything except LHOOQ's 1601 based Space-Dweller and thus I felt compelled to give a vintage Explorer one more try (my prior experience was with putting together a 33mm 5500 using the donor case that originally housed the Rolex 1520 residing in my 5514 Submariner). This build somehow took over as priority focus while the 1665 project has taken the secondary... I guess the sooner I get this done, the sooner I'll get back to the Sea-Dweller.

So far, the project has been moving forward at a nice pace. I'm working on procurring a movement now... And a few other finishing touches. For a bracelet, I'll probably just stick with a gen 78360.

Case and crystal will be making one more small trip to receive something special in the meantime.

Will post updates as they are available...

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

Along side my 1665 Sea-dweller project, I decided to kick off 2011 with a 1016 project as well, largely inspired by LHOOQ's 1016 builds.

I've got to say, it feels rather nice being mentioned as one of ubi's inspirations! :)

Now that I'm at home and seeing all the pictures, it's looking incredibly good. I didn't think 2mm holes in a 1601 were doable, but there they are! And the tritium on that dial is just about the cleanest and most well-behaved I've ever seen. Love it, love it, love it! :wub:

Dizzy: Unfortunately, the quality of Yuki's 1016 dials (and, recently, also their 5500 Explorer dials) has taken a nosedive in the past few months. Numerals and text are all over the place, lume application is sloppy, and they still sell for $130-170! Based on current pictures on the Yuki website, the only decent one available is the gilt 1016 dial. (But for how much longer?)

I've got to say, it feels rather nice being mentioned as one of ubi's inspirations! :)

BTW, it should come as no surprise that your fantastic builds are a source of inspiration! When watches look as god as yours, it's easy for others to desire the same.

In fact, there are many amazing projects here on the forum; it's hard not to find inspiration from my fellow frankenbuilders :)