When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW's Done It

freddy333

As LHOOQ pointed out- no serif on the 7's- every Rolex has a little turndown on the front edge of the 7- heck, even ubi's bezel doesn't have it in his fonts nor does my 6239 albino. But some of the older DW bezels do have it- one step forward...

Ubi's bezel may be missing serifed 7s, etc, but not this 1. It has it all

post-3175-0-42661100-1296089082.jpg

DW's new case is a major step forward :good: , but this bezel is a work of art. :wub:

I think DW's prior V72 case was better. I initially began my project using a DW case...

IMG_5504.jpg

Unfortunately, my V72 didn't fit. So, instead of dicking around with trying to modify the case, I just bought one from Phong. My movement fit perfect without any problems or need to adjust.

Comparison of my Phong case with the last case DW sent me...

IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

DW is the incomplete case on top; Phong is on the bottom:

IMG_6460.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

If my V72 would have fit that DW case, I probably would have just went with it and called it a day.

O my lord........I just witness the meeting of the minds of our Resident Daytona Experts/Fanatics...........I think I just had an orgasm...........not of the Sexual kind!:victory: Blimey!.....as PeteM would say!

Alright........go on! Don't mind me!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

But at the end of the day, ALL versions above will pass the 3'ft/1m Sushi bar arms length test. :whistling:

On the flip side, when did you order this from DW? How long did it take to get? Still waiting 2 months on a shipment from him... <_<

But at the end of the day, ALL versions above will pass the 3'ft/1m Sushi bar arms length test. :whistling:

Yes, but when the claim of 'A near perfect 6239 case' is used to describe the object of discussion, the subject matter should live up to that claim. Especially around here with this group, where we scrutinize the minutiae of details requiring a 10x loupe!

The DW case originating this discussion does not.

On the flip side, when did you order this from DW? How long did it take to get? Still waiting 2 months on a shipment from him... <_<

Shipment took more than 1 month to arrive. Alot of the delay was due to the holidays.

The DW case originating this discussion does not.

We will have to agree to disagree on this 1. :drinks:

I'm a vintage Rolex ignoramus... well, pretty much. I can spot a gen and rep vintage Submariner and Dwellers but that's it.

Tell me... why do the SELs on this watch are so loose and fit so badly (on rep and gen)?

Tell me... why do the SELs on this watch are so loose and fit so badly (on rep and gen)?

Because the correct bracelets for these watches (6635, 7205 or 7835/271 or 371) are virtually unobtainable & no one (that I am aware of) has yet repped them. So we are using the closest alternatives, which, in my case is a folded link 7835/357.

Vintage Rolex bracelets, while wonderful to look at, simply never had the fit and finish of the end-links like their modern equivalents. Add 50 years of service to many of them and what you end up with is a very expensive, ill fitting, stretched out item in most cases. I was looking at a gen red 1680 a year ago with original bracelet-- it was practically unwearable. The endlinks were also quickly wearing away the serial number and case stampings.

I agree, the new DW case has some problems according to these pics. Pusher recesses are too large and to close to the top of the case, lugs are too tall and need to be reshaped, and the bezel is too steep of an angle. The top surface of the bezel with the engravings needs to be flatter and not angled up so much to the crystal. This is a common problem on Daytona reps especially the new seconds at 6 models.