When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The watch of the future !

PeteM

1.3 inch full touch screen, 3G+ connectivity, Video call capabilities, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, MP3 player, Voice recognition software

The LG GD910 3G Watch Phone brings a serious sci-fi vibe into your life. With a full touch screen, a built-in camera, a built-in speaker, Bluetooth, and a voice recognition system, this bionic gadget can play music, take photos, work as a diary and a scheduler, read back your text messages or make video-calls. And of course, it tells the time.

Watch phones are a dime a dozen on FleaBay, not a new concept at all, but FINALLY a company tapped the obvious watchphone market and did it PROPERLY! Where has Apple been all this time... The iWatch! Come on guys, Stevie J doesn't need to produce ALL the concepts, does he?

This LG looks sensational, what they need to do is tap the high-end watch market, a bespoke case design, quality leather strap, and they're home and hosed :)

I did some research after seeing this thread. It seems Samsung and LG both make a watch phone. I really like the idea of a watch phone, but there's one hurdle they're going to have to get over. It's the price of these watch phones. I did some checking and they're around the $800-$1000 range. Since none of the carriers offer these phones, you're going to have to purchase it on your own without discounts and rebates for 2yr contracts. I think that's the deal killer for me. I can't see myself paying near a grand for a novelty, albeit a very cool novelty. Just my 2 cents.

I'm tempted to think that this is a complete gimmick, but I was so wrong when they launched the ipad and I was expecting it to be a complete failure.

One of the problem though is that a watch is as much jewellery as a functional time keeping device, and because of that people tend to prefer to wear a variety of different styles. We've all been there, we bought a watched that we thought we'd stay in love with forever and a few weeks of wearing it non=stop and we start shuffling watches around again.

A device like this is likely to end up being used for crucial functions, and there lies the problem, you become dependant on your watch phone but at the same time familiary breeds contempt and you're locked down to wearing an "ugly" device around your wrist at all times.

I want one of those.com also have a phone watch, not as high tech as this one, I believe it has a number pad rather than touch screen (which is far better for me, nothing tactile on a touch screen!) http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/swap-watch/index.html (Edit) Think I may have been wrong about the touch pad, sorry about that! (Edit)

As for having to always wear it, I don't agree, you can still remove the sim card and put it in a normal cell phone and wear a nice watch if you are out on an evening,parties, dinner etc.

Good idea and it sounds like it's superbly made, my only gripe is that everything is now going touch screen iphone, android etc. So us blindies have nothing tactile to work around, number pads have the raised dot on the number 5 for exactly that reason, it's the centre key and you can find all numbers from there. It was originally designed by a blind engineer who figured it would be quicker to dial in the dark, especially for emergency calls, no raised dots on a touch screen.

I have 'talks' software on my phone, which basically does what it says on the tin, it tells me every thing on the screen, same as my JAWS computer software, but it's very expensive. Around £200 installed into your phone and you only get one key for it, so if you lose your phoine it's another £200. JAWS is about £1200, but you get 6 keys with it, so you can install it on home, work and anyother computers you may use regularly! Link for the IWOOT version, the sWap watch.

The Nokia N8 has come on leaps and bounds with speach to text software, I can tell mine to do pretty much anything and it does it, with out the aid of talks. BUT, there is always a but, because it's touch screen and if you're in my position, you have to speak your texts messages into the phone, which kinda defeats the purpose of texts privacy.

Ok, rant/lesson over now! lol. Sorry about that, had to get it out. I really do think this is a great and viable option for all, especially with the bluetooth technology on it. We have the thread for the nano watch in here, but you still have to have wired headphones, with this watch/phone, you can use your bluetooth headset to listen to music. Pretty much all phones now come with a pretty decent MP3 player built in and the memory of phones is getting larger all the time, my N8 has 32gig and my N97 has 48gig. I have a LOT of music, but it's tough to fill that much space for anyone! I know Wheaton was looking for a viable bluetooth option, this could be it mate!!

Again, sorry for wandering off topic a bit there, but wanted to show the differences that people take for granted and to show that this really can be a viable option. Ztech, I think carriers for this phone will come forward once they have been able to fully test it, so the price will plummet as soon as they do!

Sixx :bones:

That's the whole point though, it is a cell phone! It's just in the shape of a watch!

All techno stuff loses value as soon as you get it in your hands, a bit like Tags really, they will bring out a more advanced model in a couple of years same as normal cell phones.

Who would have thought 6 or 7 years ago you could listen to your music on your phone, or take pictures and video?! The world moves fast, everything changes!

It's not trying to replace your watch, it's just another kind of watch with different functions, like chrono, non-chrono!

It's not trying to replace your watch, it's just another kind of watch with different functions, like chrono, non-chrono!

Right, which brings me again to the point that I don't forsee people walking around with two watches, unless it can really compete with a cellphone/iphone/PDA, which I doubt due to its size.

If you have to replace that watch every few years, you'll end up spending more vs 1 expensive mechanical watch too.

Edited by Revano

Right, which brings me again to the point that I don't forsee people walking around with two watches, unless it can really compete with a cellphone/iphone/PDA, which I doubt due to its size.

If you have to replace that watch every few years, you'll end up spending more vs 1 expensive mechanical watch too.

But why would you need to walk around with 2 watches?! Do you wear a chrono and a non chrono at the same time?!

Cool, but, to me my watches are more about fashion and passion (love of mechanical WIS stuff). This phone/watch is 10 years too late.

I want my watch analog.

I want my phone smart.

I want my computer super.

I want my women wicked.

But why would you need to walk around with 2 watches?! Do you wear a chrono and a non chrono at the same time?!

They intend this digital watch to be a replacement for cellphones. So then you'd wear that, but leave your second watch at home or wear it on your other wrist, personal choice.

I'm not gonna wear two watches at once, so will choose a quality mechanical watch over this digital device.

Edited by Revano

As a wrist piece it has its place... For the Technos I am sure they would love it !! But also I could see my daughter wearing it or my son when they are out and about as they dont like carrying a phone around.....

Price wise you could probably see its price dropping but in 30 years time when I take it along to the Antiques Roadshow with my ZX Spectrum, Sega Megadrive and Sinclair C5 ...then who knows ;)

That watch could do a cajoolion things and connect to everything and it still screams red-light special. Also, my phone does all that with a legible screen.

Mechanical > Quartz > Digital.

M.

I know I am going to regret this but....... What is a redlight special?

The only thing I can think of ....means it would have to give BJs as well as tell the time !!!