When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 project: Advice needed

Elliptical

Because the A7750 is a clone of the ETA, it should be a direct swap (although I cannot tell you which, many, but not all, of the parts are interchangeable between the 2 movements). Properly serviced, there is little functional difference between the Asian & Swiss 7750s - both can be accurately timed & should provide many years of reliable service.

I had an A7750 which was serviced, but the chrono function still sucked.

The second hand sometimes didn't reset to zero.

A V72 isn't an option because of the price.

That's why I'm leaning to an ETA7750.

Planned project parts:

DW case set

DW white dail with black subdals

Gen T21

Yuki bracelet with endlinks

Maybe: Yuki bezel

Opinions?

I had an A7750 which was serviced, but the chrono function still sucked.

The second hand sometimes didn't reset to zero.

Probably needed the "Epoxy Fix" to the lg. seconds hand. Common problem, even with fully serviced Spinmaster Daytonas. Hand problem, not movement.

DW also has a new V23 copy movement... Next generation "Mystery Movement" it sounds like... It costs a little more but he says its very good quality and fully serviced by his watchmaker. That way you get the correct subdial spacing.

The biggest issue with the 7750 movement in these watches is that it is NOT designed to be manually wound and its really hard on the gears inside. You will most likely need to remove the rotor to get the movement into the case unless you install some huge bubble sea-dweller type caseback. You can read the movement reviews on the 7750's and the experts will tell you not to manually wind them.

dizz

Probably needed the "Epoxy Fix" to the lg. seconds hand. Common problem, even with fully serviced Spinmaster Daytonas. Hand problem, not movement.

Ditto. Either that or something was missed during the last service.

DW also has a new V23 copy movement... Next generation "Mystery Movement" it sounds like... It costs a little more but he says its very good quality and fully serviced by his watchmaker. That way you get the correct subdial spacing.

Ziggy needs to do a review of this &, hopefully, DW will up the ante to making/sourcing a V72 clone. A V72 clone, qualitatively equal to the A7750, would be a game-changer. :Jumpy:

The Zigmeister needs to do a review of this & DW needs to up the ante to making/sourcing a V72 clone. A V72 clone with the reliability of the A7750 would be a game-changer. :Jumpy:

It would also preserve a large number of "lesser" V72 chronographs for future generations. I think Clebars are about to go extinct! :bye2:

Bring on the Mega Mystery Movement!

i think this will work for Tropic 21 replacement for DW 6263's Crystal

Nice bevel, but, like most of the aftermarket T21s, it lacks the glimmering clarity that only the gen xtal provides. Aftermarkets are often improvements over the original rep plastic, but the gen lens is always worth the extra cost. It gives your vintage Rolex watch a wonderful, jewel-like quality

6542rainbows0081.jpg

IMG_0249_7_8_tonemapped_enhan_cool1.jpg

Freddy's right about the glimmer. In fact, I quoted him in my comparison of the J&K with the gen T21. Given prevailing rates for the genuine T21, the price difference is considerable. But if you can snag one for less than $100(less than $50 is still possible), go for it!

I would also reconsider switching to a Yuki bezel. The one pictures on Yuki's website looks great, but the unit received and reviewed by Freddy was something else entirely.

I asked DW about v72 clones and he said there is no factory that he has found, that is capable of making a reliable V72 copy for a reasonable amount of money. I guess they figure a V23 has enough applications that its workable. There probably isnt much demand for an expensive V72 copy.

I'll see if I can get DW to sell me one of these new V23's and I'll send it to The Zigmeister for a review if he has time. I am really interested to see what it is.

dizz

As someone with a broken V23 copy (aka mystery movement) I would strongly advise against going that route. The V23 is highly unreliable and will eventually break - IF it does work to begin with. Sourcing replacement parts is impossible and you will therefore be stuck with a broken watch and searching for a way overpriced gen V23 or a pricey but often well worth it V72 donor watch. I also doubt someone has spend money on the development of a new refined V23 copy version. All personal communication aside, all our Asian suppliers are still in the market to make money, I don't think they care too much about the quality (i.e reliability) of their movements (see sec@6 Daytona).

Decide for yourself if it's 100% accuracy or a cost effective 6263/6265 version you are looking for. If it is accuracy you're after the only real way to go is V72 with all cost involved. These builds are highly satisfying but do come at a (vast) premium, a fact which should really put you off when a vintage Cosmograph isn't your über-grail.

If you just like the look, stick with a A7750/7760 powered Spinmaster build. The movement is reliable and apart from someone who is really into Cosmographs (someone you aren't very likely to encounter under normal circumstances) no one will notice the slightly off subdials. All gen case parts which are normally replaced on V72 builds also fit these cases, so you will be able to build a very accurate one while still using a more reliable movement.

I was in the market for a budget-friendly 6263 and bought the V23 copy. Mine arrived broken and could not be fixed. I opted for a V726 powered black sigma build with a lot of gen parts (incl. gen dial and hands - yet to be installed) :wub: and have never regretted it. Had I saved my money on this POS V23 copy however, mine would be sitting on a gen bracelet instead of a Yuki one right now. :bangin:

My A7750 6263 runs great. Of course that was after a trip to the north to have the master work on it. It is a very reliable watch once properly set up. The second hand not resetting ot zero is because the tube is loose. This can be fix as others suggested with a touch of glue or making it a tighter fit. How ofter are you going to use that function anyway.