When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Introducing Charles Ginault: Rolex Modder & Custom Builder

ThinkBachs

I like to bounce around the forums because I hate to miss anything (which I do anyway) and found that Mr. Charles Ginault is back on the scene. Who is Charles? I'll let him tell you in his own words...

"Hi, I am Charles. I collect fine Swiss-made timepieces, and also I am a watchmaker by passion.

I’ve been working as an industrial designer for the past 12 years, and I started learning about watchmaking 6 years ago as a hobby. What can I say, gears in motion just has its own fascinating quality.

During the years, most of my learning and work focused on the movement part of the watch as the making of a watch exteriors posses no challenge to a veteran industrial designer.

However, one shocking news changed all that. It was a sad day for most avid watch fans when Rolex announced the discontinuation of their production of their dacade old tradition, the Rolex Submariner 16610.

The Rolex Submariner is a modern horological marvel. Its design, water proof character, and functionality appeals to professionals at large. The Rolex Submariner Date 16610, in my point of view, is the most sophisticated in design from the line's incarnation in 1945.

I’ve decided to take on a project; to build a homage Submariner 16610 which I call the Base Module 1, based on my experience, resources, and understanding of the fine Swiss time piece in honor of this century old design.

In the following days, I will summarize and convert my project log, which was hand written, into digital form and update it here on a Watchmaking blog and the forum for every Rolex fans to share."

Read More: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12111&hl=

His Site: http://www.ginault.com/

Why am I so thrilled with this guy? It first started when I found this image online some time ago...

black-watches-004.jpg

Now he's invested in some serious equipment and is using his talents to build custom homage Rolex watches, which are currently under development. The attention to detail and precision is only matched by his passion to create something that would make gen owners swoon over.

One of the samples he's put together gives me the goosebumps...

pending-ginault-mark-ii-02.jpg

Check out his site to find more examples of what he's working on, and visit the forum link above to follow his latest progress- or keep checking his site for updates.

those are pretty sweet!

Though I wonder, for that price, it should be sapphire crystal, not mineral

Who know what the final price will be, I believe these were the prices before he bought the equipment to do it himself. I think if we can help him build interest and sales, we can maybe help him do a little better on pricing.

I do like this statement on one of his pages:

Material used to make the watchcase, case back, bezel assembly is SUS316L stainless steel. Dimension of the watch is 40mm in width, and the total height is 13.24mm from crystal top to case back. Crystal is synthetic Sapphire crystal in 1.8mm thick with a Cyclop at 3 o'clock position at 2.5x magnification. (This crystal spec is matched Rolex part number 25-295-c crystal, implemented on most of the 40mm sports models.) Movement is available with Swiss imported ETA 2824-2 (25 Jewels) or Sellita SW200 (26 Jewels). Power reserve is 40 hours with ETA 2824-2, and 42 hours with Sellita SW200. Luminous Pigment is RC Tritec SuperLuminova C1. The Ginault Base Module 1 is water proof to 1,000 feet (300 meters) deep. Link >>>

and this one...

If you want to add something on the dial, please take a look at our Personalization service. Here at Ginault, we can print your logo, family crest, or wordings on the dial, and make customized engravings on the case back.

Love to have this for a workshop....

Cnc-Machine.jpg

rolex-yachtmaster-16622-omega-seamaster-640-2.jpg

It's not to say there is a design flaw with Rolex sports model bezel ring. But Rolex sports model bezel ring is just a bit hard to turn, due to its gear shape, when one is preparing to dive with wet hands.

In order to maintain the original turning torque (so the bezel ring would not move when knocked by accident) and yet to make the bezel ring a little bit easy to turn/align the triangle with the minute hands with wet hands, becomes the mission when designing this new Lotus turning bezel ring (LTBR).

A few comments.

The so called Base 1 Homage features a MAXI-Dial/Hands combo. This is not correct for a 16610 homage. Also $775, and it is a "synthetic-sapphire crystal".

Someone else pointed out the heavy photoshoping of the pics.

On the plus side, CG's look nice, and if the case is gen 1:1 construction it might have potential for mods.

base-module-1.jpg

I have a feeling the crowd here would rather just go for a BK TW, or find a WM9.

I have a feeling the crowd here would rather just go for a BK TW, or find a WM9.

:rofl:

WM9? Run by someone else now. BK? Does his mods by hand, meaning constancy, tolerances, and accuracy are "flexible." With the amount of work he does, and the way he does it, not everything turns out as well as it should. I do give him credit for producing some excellent pieces, just not all the time.

I have a feeling that this is going to get very interesting...

"However, one shocking news changed all that. It was a sad day for most avid watch fans when Rolex announced the discontinuation of their production of their dacade old tradition, the Rolex Submariner 16610."

Not nearly as shocking as when they cut off all parts to supply houses in the USA...then they cut off most of the 'official spare parts' accounts.

Therefore...I declare March 1, Official Wear-a-Fake Day! :animal_rooster:

I wonder if they sell their parts... I want their crystal + bezel, which I think has much better quality than my wm9. Their insert is good too, but I already have the gen insert. I don't think they've successfully copied it 1:1, the lugs look odd and the bezel teeth seems too short imo...if only!! arghh. That said,the rehaut looks perfect

Edited by praetor

A few comments.

The so called Base 1 Homage features a MAXI-Dial/Hands combo. This is not correct for a 16610 homage. Also $775, and it is a "synthetic-sapphire crystal".

Someone else pointed out the heavy photoshoping of the pics.

On the plus side, CG's look nice, and if the case is gen 1:1 construction it might have potential for mods.

base-module-1.jpg

I agree with Ronin....though custom printing on the dial sounds pretty nice.

Looks like an Invicta with a blank dial that's all..

Really, why go to all the trouble, simply pick up some Invicta's, redial them, make up some big write up about blah blah blah...google some pictures of some CNC machines, do a few CAD drawings, and sell the watches at 5X the cost.

Reminds me or that other company that does something similar, starts with an "R"... RMC watches or something like that...

I think it's all smoke and mirrors, he's even using Sellita's like Invicta, how convenient.

No results found for sub :(

It's a joke. His "Stuff" is no different then what already exists. Sterile dials are available on ebay, we have members that can do special dial prints and water slide decals and Subs have already been PVD'd and had their CG's shaved off ala Project X.

This guy offers nothing other than very expensive reps :rolleyes:

Guest zeleni kukuruz

It's a joke. His "Stuff" is no different then what already exists. Sterile dials are available on ebay, we have members that can do special dial prints and water slide decals and Subs have already been PVD'd and had their CG's shaved off ala Project X.

This guy offers nothing other than very expensive reps :rolleyes:

:)

I thought his cases would be intresting.